WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urian said:
Is possible that when Matt talks about internal RAM he is talking about embedded RAM on Hollywood?

In 90nm we can put 12MB in the same area where 3MB at 180nm can be put and since they can use 1T-SRAM-Q (4x Density) is possible that Hollywood has 24MB of "internal" embedded RAM.

1T-SRAM-Q is 4 times the density of 6T-SRAM not 1T-SRAM-R. It is only 2 times the density of the latter.

Megadrive1988 said:
is there anyway an overclocked Flipper could do that?

Yes..remember the GC could do the same things NAOMI 2's Elan chip could do. If you look at that Pokemon video, there aren't any textures. They're just single color per pixel light shading, DOF, and specular highlights and maybe some motion blur. It's also just a fighting game with nothing much going on.

NANOTEC said:
Yes..remember the GC could do the same things NAOMI 2's Elan chip could do. If you look at that Pokemon video, there aren't any textures. They're just single color per pixel light shading, DOF, and specular highlights and maybe some motion blur. It's also just a fighting game with nothing much going on.

Naomi 2 had nothing that looked like this though, virtua fighter 4 wasn't even close.

Fox5 said:
Naomi 2 had nothing that looked like this though, virtua fighter 4 wasn't even close.

Maybe that's because SEGA never made a game that used shiny plastic looking toys using N2? The hardware was certainly capable.

Have you seen the kata of the monk and sarah levels? The spot lights in the sarah level is damn amazing as well as the extremely smooth lighting on her shiny skin tight suit. Watch rolling replay of the monk fighting in the aquarium level. I think you want to believe this pokemon game is unattainable with current GC hardware because you've never seen a GC game using this kind of shiny 3d modeling. There's really nothing there that GC cannot do. It looks different not because there's more powerful hardware.

NANOTEC said:
Maybe that's because SEGA never made a game that used shiny plastic looking toys using N2? The hardware was certainly capable.

Have you seen the kata of the monk and sarah levels? The spot lights in the sarah level is damn amazing as well as the extremely smooth lighting on her shiny skin tight suit. Watch rolling replay of the monk fighting in the aquarium level. I think you want to believe this pokemon game is unattainable with current GC hardware because you've never seen a GC game using this kind of shiny 3d modeling. There's really nothing there that GC cannot do. It looks different not because there's more powerful hardware.

If gamecube could do it, why wasn't it done? Some games used small elements like this, but none made the entire game look like this, I don't think gamecube had quite enough power to do an entire scene in this style, but then again, pokemon wii is limited to a mere 4 characters with limited quality backgrounds, and fighting games typically look a generation beyond most other games anyway just due to the smaller focus.

Fox5 said:
If gamecube could do it, why wasn't it done?

You may need to take at look at the GC version of Pokemon and ask yourself why it looks like crap compared to the best looking games on GC.

Jessica, what's happening with the interview? Weren't you supposed to have the dubbing cables two days ago?

Jessica said she got dubbing cables today. I'm moving to sem tomorrow, so I won't be able to get the file quite yet.

I like how everyone is talking about how the Gamecube could easily do this, yet no one can think of a Gamecube game that did. For one thing, the handful of games with self-shadowing didn't do it nearly as well as this video pulls it off. Rebel Strike's and Rogue Leader's self-shadows were exceedingly glitchy and blocky, and pitch black to boot. If this is being done with an overclocked Flipper, then whatever programmers they've got working on the Pokemon teams are programming gods compared to anyone from Factor 5, Capcom, or Retro. If you overclock a Flipper by 50%, it's still not going to be doing per-pixel lighting on an entire scene with specularity and smooth self-shadows at any kind of playable framerate.

So let's just start by listing all the Cube games with per-pixel lighting and the kind of self-shadowing we see in this Pokemon game.

Teasy said:
Jessica, what's happening with the interview? Weren't you supposed to have the dubbing cables two days ago?

Told ya. This was going to be fake. They're probably searching for a guy with french accent right now. :LOL: Or they still can, unfortunately, not find the right cables.

Anyway, we're back to square one with zero new information.

looking at the Pokemon Wii footage again, and assuming this is being pulled off on a Hollywood GPU that is significantly beyond a Flipper 1.5x - I start to imagine Wii games with the visuals that Nintendo showed off at the Space World 2000 show to promote the Gamecube, visuals that were beyond what we (forgive the pun) never saw in actual games
Metroid CG, WaveRace CG, and Zelda realtime. although Zelda at Space World 2000 had bad artwork, technically it's superior in many ways to Twilight Princess. would like to see a Wii Zelda with high polygon models and 60fps framerate.

just a few random thoughts, before sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
hupfinsgack said:
Told ya. This was going to be fake. They're probably searching for a guy with french accent right now. :LOL: Or they still can, unfortunately, not find the right cables.

Anyway, we're back to square one with zero new information.

i was supposed to get them wednesday which i did, and fearsome is moving which is why he hasnt had the opportunity to hear the interview yet.

If this were some conspiracy between myself and fearsome he wouldve already posted saying he heard it and its real. Please people use your brains here ;)

Megadrive1988 said:
with the visuals that Nintendo showed off at the Space World 2000 show to promote the Gamecube, visuals that were beyond what we (forgive the pun) never saw in actual games
I contest that. Metroid Prime 2 easily looked as good as the infamous zelda demonstration, if not considerably better even.

People always seem to remember games much too fondly. 2000 was a LONG time ago, go back and look at that demo again and it won't look nearly as good anymore, not even when compared to latest/last-gen GC games.

Megadrive1988 said:
looking at the Pokemon Wii footage again, and assuming this is being pulled off on a Hollywood GPU that is significantly beyond a Flipper 1.5x - I start to imagine Wii games with the visuals that Nintendo showed off at the Space World 2000 show to promote the Gamecube, visuals that were beyond what we (forgive the pun) never saw in actual games
Metroid CG, WaveRace CG, and Zelda realtime. although Zelda at Space World 2000 had bad artwork, technically it's superior in many ways to Twilight Princess. would like to see a Wii Zelda with high polygon models and 60fps framerate.

just a few random thoughts, before sleep.

The QTE fight between the green beret and leon in RE4 easily compares to that SW2K Zelda fight. In fact it's superior.

fearsomepirate said:
I like how everyone is talking about how the Gamecube could easily do this, yet no one can think of a Gamecube game that did. So let's just start by listing all the Cube games with per-pixel lighting and the kind of self-shadowing we see in this Pokemon game.

Have you seen VF4 running on NAOMI 2? Remember that nobody thought RE4 was achievable before RE4 was shown. Everyone thought the best thing the GC could do was REMake and REZero with 2d backgrounds. There's nothing in that Pokemon video that says it's impossible to do on even a bog standard GC. It's a simple turn based battle game. It's not that demanding of resources. In fact it's basically one big collection of cutscenes that are played back after a command is made.

The Legend of Zelda, Space World 2000. Zelda:TP movies, specifically the upper left and lower right two. The TP movies are ingame and have a different style, but look pretty good and comparable. The Space World video has great floor texturing, but as a demo with a limited scene has an advantage for such.

NANOTEC said:
The QTE fight between the green beret and leon in RE4 easily compares to that SW2K Zelda fight. In fact it's superior.

graphically-superior, yes, framerate-superior, no. but i admit it was impressive.

chosen_colette said:
i was supposed to get them wednesday which i did, and fearsome is moving which is why he hasnt had the opportunity to hear the interview yet.

If this were some conspiracy between myself and fearsome he wouldve already posted saying he heard it and its real. Please people use your brains here ;)

But maybe there's a conspiracy for me to say I'm moving to make it look more authentic, and maybe we're conspiring for me to say sarcastic things about conspiracy theories to throw people off guard.

P.S. Have you gotten hold of "Pierre" yet to record our....um....*wink wink nudge nudge.*

OK, seriously, i need to eat, shower, and then go. Have a good time talking about video games, Wii, and Area 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back