WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pc999 said:
Originaly inst supossed that GC (Dolphin?) would have 8Mgs of edram?
I don't recall it ever going to have 8MB of embedded 1T-SRAM, and I followed it very closely from the beginning.

pc999 said:
Yes I agree, still not really happy with a 4xGC so price must follow it IMO as it isnt powerfull enought for 200$.

Except you're not buying a GPU for your PC. You're buying a whole machine, a controller, access to Connect24, Virtual Console, and the ability to play Wii games. Good luck finding a better gaming package for $200.

Vysez said:
Anyway, what was the Wii specification that were removed from the site? Can someone post them, just out of sheer curiosity?

Graphics: Roughly somewhere between an x1400 and x1600
CPU: Roughly somewhere between an AXP 2400 and AXP 3000
Memory: Clocked at 650 MHz
EDRAM: 2MB frame/2 MB Z/4 MB texture
Geometry engine: Fully programmable
Pipelines: "double" gamecube.
Features: Can do 8xAF, 4xAA, normal/bump mapping, and self-shadowing
Physics: Some workload can be shifted to the GPU

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is how do we relate what was shown at E3 on Wii SDKs with the proposed GPU specs? Doesn't look to me like devs are targetting x1400 level. Have Nintendo basically had no idea what level graphics performance they would provide and just said to their devs 'stick with GC+ for now and we'll let you know what the hardware will really be capable of 6 months before it's released'?

This has playable demos, with 2 weeks old HW that is said (by Ubi, see gamespot) to be just as base from Wii HW (or something like).

Anyway it happened with MS in playable games last year E3.

mattcoz said:
I don't recall it ever going to have 8MB of embedded 1T-SRAM, and I followed it very closely from the beginning.

Dont know but I saw that in other forum , it is just to comfirm.

Urian said:
My question is:

Which is the origen of the 3MB only of eDRAM in Hollywood?

I need to know the exact origen.

It's from Matt of IGN: He said 2MB texture cache 1MB frame buffer or vice versa. Thus 3MB eDRAM

The question is, if that interview is indeed real, why doesn't a single Wii game show graphics that are adequate for such a hardware?

because so far, everything has, from what've read, been developed using the old Flipper or overclocked Flipper. not the new GPU.

i'm now leaning towards this interview being FAKE, until some further confirmation of some kind comes out.

if it is fake, it's the best damn fake so far, because it's extremely conservative in spec, it does not put Wii within reach of Xbox360 or PS3 level. since a GPU between X1400 and X1600 is not nearly as powerful as Xenos.

hupfinsgack said:
The question is, if that interview is indeed real, why doesn't a single Wii game show graphics that are adequate for such a hardware?

Again XB360 playable demos from E305...

BTW I saw here that isnt the first time that XavierPoix break NDAs, is it real?

since a GPU between X1400 and X1600 is not nearly as powerful as Xenos.

Actually if Xenus is really in the level of X1800-X1900 given the benches of them (eg B3D) it should be able to play more or less the same given 1/3 the rez.

pc999 said:

Actually if Xenus is really in the level of X1800-X1900 given the benches of them (eg B3D) it should be able to play more or less the same given 1/3 the rez.

maybe yeah. but then, if developers got to make Xbox 360 games at 480p, then Xenos still outclasses the claimed GPU in Wii according to the claimed Ubisoft interview.

pc999 said:

That was me that said that. I didn't mean outright break NDA's, but from what I've heard he likes to skirt them.

thundermonkey said:
That was me that said that. I didn't mean outright break NDA's, but from what I've heard he likes to skirt them.

well he did a bit more than skirt one this time apparently, ubisoft emailed me demanding it be removed, and im not about to do that, so i changed the parts that wouldve broken an NDA. It doesnt matter and i still have the interview, the word is out there, over 200 thousand hits since fearsome posted it here, with ~6 - 7k being direct clicks on that post =)

chosen_colette said:
well he did a bit more than skirt one this time apparently, ubisoft emailed me demanding it be removed, and im not about to do that, so i changed the parts that wouldve broken an NDA. It doesnt matter and i still have the interview, the word is out there, over 200 thousand hits since fearsome posted it here, with ~6 - 7k being direct clicks on that post =)
Can't deny if I was in his position I'd do the same.

Then I'd get a nice chewing from my superiors and have Iwata scream at me in Japanese.

Damn I want to be in the thick of it, making games and being screamed at by Japanese men.:(

thundermonkey said:
Can't deny if I was in his position I'd do the same.

Then I'd get a nice chewing from my superiors and have Iwata scream at me in Japanese.

Damn I want to be in the thick of it, making games and being screamed at by Japanese men.:(

LOL. yea they wont admit that it happened, they have already denied it in emails to people, but nobody from the paris branch has done so nor has there been a public denial (expect one of those soon though if this picks up any more steam) I didnt forsee it becoming this big of a deal, and apparently ubisoft doesnt like the position they are now in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back