"I want Snake to die, so I can move on." - Kojima

dodo3

Newcomer
Mark MacDonald: I'm curious what it means for your personal life, to have Snake with a gun in his mouth at the end of the trailer? Does it have anything to do with your often-stated credo that this will be your last Metal Gear game?

Kojima: Well, I say this every time, but this is going to be my last Metal Gear. So, you could say that the hidden theme here is, that I want Snake to die, so I can move on.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/3855#

...one of the best series in the world is going to end. :cry:

Btw am I the only one thinking he's taking a bit from 1984? I mean that war is something else and everyone is under control?

Mark MacDonald: I'm curious what it means for your personal life, to have Snake with a gun in his mouth at the end of the trailer? Does it have anything to do with your often-stated credo that this will be your last Metal Gear game?

Kojima: Well, I say this every time, but this is going to be my last Metal Gear. So, you could say that the hidden theme here is, that I want Snake to die, so I can move on.

:LOL:, He said the same for MGS3:SE IIRC.

Deepak said:
:LOL:, He said the same for MGS3:SE IIRC.

But then came the death threats o_O

I hope this is the last MGS game, and i'm a HUGE fan of the series. I think MGS4 will be the real ending even if Snake doesn't die (but i think he will, die that is). Kojima said he wanted to tie up all the loose ends in the story, plus this game just feels like it's going to be the last. I want Kojima to be able to make a new IP like he wants to, and not be restricted to the MGS series, you can tell he's hurting to move on, and i really hope he does after this, and a ZOE3 game of course :LOL:

Stillmatic said:
I hope this is the last MGS game, and i'm a HUGE fan of the series. I think MGS4 will be the real ending even if Snake doesn't die (but i think he will, die that is). Kojima said he wanted to tie up all the loose ends in the story, plus this game just feels like it's going to be the last. I want Kojima to be able to make a new IP like he wants to, and not be restricted to the MGS series, you can tell he's hurting to move on, and i really hope he does after this, and a ZOE3 game of course :LOL:

It really feels like this will finally be Kojima's last Metal Gear game in a directorial position at least, but I doubt its the last Metal Gear game. From what I can tell Kojima never wanted to finish off the franchise as a whole, he just wanted someone who could take the reigns. After the bang up job Murata did on ZOE 2, and now co-directing MGS4, it seems like Kojima's finally gotten comfortable enough to pass the series on to someone he can trust with it. Im guessing MGS4 will wrap up the "Solid" saga, and Murata will take over the franchise with a new thread of his own (Raiden as main character?).

liverkick said:
It really feels like this will finally be Kojima's last Metal Gear game in a directorial position at least, but I doubt its the last Metal Gear game. From what I can tell Kojima never wanted to finish off the franchise as a whole, he just wanted someone who could take the reigns. After the bang up job Murata did on ZOE 2, and now co-directing MGS4, it seems like Kojima's finally gotten comfortable enough to pass the series on to someone he can trust with it. Im guessing MGS4 will wrap up the "Solid" saga, and Murata will take over the franchise with a new thread of his own (Raiden as main character?).

Yeah, i think your spot on with that theory, and that's exactly what i think will happen. That's why i said i hope it's the last MGS game and not the end of MG, so that Kojima could move on. MG would definitely be in good hands if it's left to Shuyo, and i think MGS fans should be happy to 'except' him as the new director of MG, i know i would.

Ragemare said:
Doesn't he want to make a game for Wii or something?
I think he's spoken of writing for XB360 and Wii. I think he's a tech enthusiast who wants to try out all the hardwares.

Nesh said:
despite that I am a big fan if the series I am glad it will end. It will end as a great series. I prefer that than milking as much out of it until it loses from its value.

I agree, I don't want to see MGS suffer as Splinter Cell. Though there should be an MGS game every 3 year.

Kojima's frankly a genius, and I don't think any of us - least of all himself - want him slaved to a single genre/IP his entire life. I'm sure his fondness for the series will bring him back in some capacity at some point, but like others I think with this game he will accomplish a number of goals of his:

1) Tie up loose ends

2) Set Raiden up as 'the hero,' which he's wanted to do for some time

3) Get himself out

and

4) If they hit their targets, put out one of the 'defining' games of this generation

The irony for Kojima is and has always been though, the more of #4 there is, the less chance for #3 to go smoothly.

Nesh said:
It wasnt always a Metal Gear Solid ;)
What does the name mean exactly? Metal Gear is that mobile nuke mech launcher thingy and Solid for Solid snake. How did they put it together?

Well there was Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, and then they revived the series with the same main character and titled the game Metal Gear Solid. But with Kojima apparently wanting to leave the series by putting an end to Solid Snake's story, then It seems likely to me that future Metal Gear games won't have any "Solid" in the title.

kyleb said:
Well there was Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, and then they revived the series with the same main character and titled the game Metal Gear Solid. But with Kojima apparently wanting to leave the series by putting an end to Solid Snake's story, then It seems likely to me that future Metal Gear games won't have any "Solid" in the title.
Raiden?

I think you'll find that the Solid of the Metal Gear Solid name has less to do with Solid Snake and more to do with a play on words by Kojima. If I recall he was making a reference to the "solid" (refined/polished) graphics or some such.

MGS3 didn't even have Solid Snake in it, for example.

Personally, I'd like a remake of the first two MG games and another game or two explaining the exact events that happened between MGS3 (or MGS: PO) and MG1. There's lots of story left untold, or if it was told it was relegated to a few paragraphs of text.

Back