Da Vince Code movie reviews - generally bad

its the newest hype to bash the movie i guess.

i just returned seeing it. It wasnt bad, it wasnt thtat great eather..

Just think of it like the more serious National Treasure movie with Nicolas Cage with less traveling...

I already knew in the midst of the movie WHOS IS WAS THE

watch for yourself and enjoy the movie

hey69 said:
its the newest hype to bash the movie i guess.

i just returned seeing it. It wasnt bad, it wasnt thtat great eather..

Just think of it like the more serious National Treasure movie with Nicolas Cage with less traveling...

I already knew in the midst of the movie WHOS IS WAS THE

watch for yourself and enjoy the movie

Was it at al watered down? Did it at least follow the spirit of themovie?

spirit of the book you mean?

i dont know, never read the book..

I guess the movie was nice nothing spectacular becaues the movie started at 11PM and i was r*cking tired as hell.. felt 2-3 times asleep for a couple of minutes :D

Which countries has it been released in? Please post your own thoughts about the movie if you have seen it.

Ya just saw it and its not bad... 3-5 stars. Its well done and works well... Having read the book Id even would've like to see it longer. What many critics saw as boring I thought was the best part of the movie. The explanatory parts built into conversations...

Was a bit surprised by the ending. A little bit different than the book.

The premise is still its weakest link tho. I do think there is a surviving story of a lineage from Jesus's family I dont think its necessarily his own tho. From what Ive read Jesus was replaced by James, his brother as leader of the jerusalem church after the crucifixion. That means that in any traditional lineage he was the new 'heir to the throne of David' that we see the gospels mention in the NT.

I think its James lineage that is possibly still around or at least survived until the middle ages as one of many sub groups of the original movement started by jesus, john the baptist, their disciples and others and the obvious links they all have with the Essene Qumran community in the desert mentionned by Josephus...

Its not hard to think there mightve been schism in the movment during or soon after the crucifixion that some of the family of jesus was more concerned with heredity whereas jesus and the movement that formed around him was more concerned with spirituality...

pax said:
The premise is still its weakest link tho. I do think there is a surviving story of a lineage from Jesus's family I dont think its necessarily his own tho....
Personally, I don't think this particularly matters if we're talking about what has essentially been a governed religion from time immemorial (well, at least since the year 325).

Its just that how likely is it that the church couldve smothered any historical evidence of such a hereditary movement that exhibits also other huge differences with mainline christianity according to the modern storytelling when we have ample evidence of just about every other movement the church has successfully crushed from manicheism to gnosticism to arianism ( http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/heresies.html ) ect...

It would seem to me this group would have had deeper roots into the original movement and thus much stronger legs when the attempts at producing uniformity in the church such as under Constantin and Nicea in 325 came about that mightve threatened it...

Indeed.

Loved the book, and for me the film (saw it last night on a 65ft cinema screen) did a decent job of recreating the visuals I had in my head while reading it, but the acting was fairly toss (bar Sir Ian) and chunks of the book simply didn't make it to the film, spoiling it a bit.

Going to re-read the book now, though, since seeing it. Reaffirmed my thoughts that it's a bloody good yarn, and very enjoyable escapism.

Chalnoth said:
I always thought that the book was supposed to be pure fiction anyway...
To tell the Truth, in the Italian version you can find notespointing to "some documents" that "should" confirm what's described in the book...which is not true, of course, but there you have it. :)

I enjoyed the movie a lot. But I guess it's just not for everyone.

Probably the best thing I have seen in the theaters all year. And I go to the movies almost every week.

I had never read the book and didn't know much about the plot. So even the chatty parts that reviewers say make the movie dull were fascinating to me.

Decent movie. Some parts sucked, some parts were fantastic (like the epilogue) and overall the book was much better.

Everything that was fascinating in the movie is ramped up about 10 times in the book, IMO.

It had decent direction and acting though. McKellen was brilliant, Tautou was staggeringly beautiful, Hanks was... Hanks. It was alright.

It's not bad at all, even if I felt watching it like a flat line on excitement (as I inevitably compared the movie to the book, anyway, while watching). Hank is rather old and passive in this movie, but Robert Langdon, to me, would look more active. Even it is almost 3hrs long, a lot of information were cut, but the plot on the movie still looks rather smooth.

Chalnoth said:
I always thought that the book was supposed to be pure fiction anyway...
The two main premises of The Da Vinci Code is based on two books (and correctly acknowledged by Brown) :

1) The Holy Blood, The Holy Grail
This book was a bestseller (though less than a million until Brown's DVC) in the early-80s when it was released. 3 guys co-authored this book as a result of one of them being intrigued by a book written by a Gerard De Sede. In that book, one of the co-authors recognized that De Sede had a secret that he wouldn't tell.

THB,THG is primarily a trip through history. About two thirds of it are the authors reasonings for why they came to think (instead of believe IMO) it is definitely possible that Jesus not only didn't die at Golgotha but that this supposedly unreasonably-quick death (and even resurrection... and of course, without Jesus' Redemption of man by death and subsequent Resurrection, Christianity as we believe it today and for as long as most of care to remember is based on a great hoax, a hoax kept alive by The Vatican as per Brown's "fiction" novel) -- unreasonably-quick because the co-authors say that it would take at the very least 1-2 days for a crucified man, even after much flaying/tortue, to die at the cross and that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, had at least one child (a daughter named Sarah) and after a great many generations and as a result of marriages with nobles of Europe, we can have the possibility of someone (or a great many someones) rightfully being able to add "Christ" to their name (although the same co-authors asserted that Jesus' surname was not "Christ" to begin with). How's that for a long sentence? :)

This -- Jesus didn't die, hence was never resurrected, got married to Mary, had kid(s) which had kid(s) which had kid(s), so-on-so-forth until the present day (where one of the protaganists of Brown's book essentially is one of Jesus' great-bloody-great-grandchild -- is one of TDVC's premises.

Note that I don't know if it was the co-authors' or their publishers request but THB,THG is tacked as "Non Fiction". I have even found it under the "MetaPhysical Studies" sections in some bookstores. I bought and read this book after I read TDVC and still refer to it (because THB,THG has many facts about medieval history) when reading certain parts of the book I'm currently reading, a fictional novel, "The Last Templar" by Raymond Khoury.

2) The Templar Revelation
Two co-authors studied Leonardo's "Last Supper" and seemed quite convinced that John (immediately to the right of Jesus)was actually Mary Magdalene in the painting and went on to "de-code" that painting even more, leading to the possibilities that Mary and Jesus were husband-and-wife, that hidden "M" in the painting, that hidden sign of feminity (the alphabet "V") that exists when looking at the space between Jesus and John/Mary, Jesus' "twin" in the painting, Leonardo appearing in the painting, no chalice/"cup of Christ"/Holy Grail in the painting, etc.

This -- essentially the name of the book -- is the other premise of TDVC.

Incidentally, the co-authors of (2) has this year released a book called "The Sion Revelation". It is their attempt at investigating the "Is it Fake or What?" Priory of Sion that plays a noticeable part in Brown's book and in (1) above. Although the protaganist of this Priory of Sion had, under oath and in records, said the whole Priory of Sion was a fake created by him, "The Sion Revelation" basically reads like a conspiracy theorists book -- so what if the guy said Priory of Sion is a big hoax?... the hoax is so incredibly elaborate while challenging anyone to prove its inaccuracy that it deserves investigations. The co-authors did this, while also acknowledging the impact TDVC and THB,THG had in the creation of this "The Sion Revelation" book. Maybe this (as well as many other books) is just riding the DVC bandwagon. I read the start, the middle and the end of this book at a bookstore. Never bought it.

Sorry if you already knew all this and was just being a bit critical of the TDVC with your comments.

Back