M10=mobilty Radeon 9700?

NORTHERNLiGHTS said:
Then its a mobility Radeon 9600? With 400 MHz?

It depends.
brow.gif

MuFu.

Considering the amount of power that r300 consumes, I doubt we'll see a reasonably clocked 8-pixel-pipe dx9 notebook chip anytime soon.

PiNkY said:
Considering the amount of power that r300 consumes, I doubt we'll see a reasonably clocked 8-pixel-pipe dx9 notebook chip anytime soon.
I guess S3 is trying hard to prove the opposite.

Xmas said:
PiNkY said:
I guess S3 is trying hard to prove the opposite.

even if they do come out with it. I think they'll have a hard time competing with what M10 has.

When is the M10 due to be released?

I am eagerly awaiting purchasing my first notebook, and a good one that can play Doom3!

I hear the M10 should be able to do this, and it is due to be released soon... but about when? I dont know if I can wait another 3 or 4 weeks.

If anyone has any good ideas to where they are with the M10, and what the M10 is please post everything here. Thnx!

Re: When is the M10 due to be released?

Lordberek said:
I am eagerly awaiting purchasing my first notebook, and a good one that can play Doom3!

I hear the M10 should be able to do this, and it is due to be released soon... but about when? I dont know if I can wait another 3 or 4 weeks.

If anyone has any good ideas to where they are with the M10, and what the M10 is please post everything here. Thnx!

carmack has already said that the 9000 will play doom 3 .

Re: When is the M10 due to be released?

Lordberek said:

We'll probably know a lot more in about a week....

Yes, he did mention that the 9000 would play Doom3... I find it hard to believe, but thats just my feeling based off of nothing so nevermind it hehe.

The M10 will be a dx9 part? If that is the case, it should be a good investment for a laptop. I will wait another week or two. If anyone thinkings there wont be released by then, let me know. I want to wait, but not for another month or two.

I was also figuring it to be on the performance of a desktop Geforce 4 ti 4200 or so?

Also, if they announce it as being released say... February 30th, 2003. What does that mean exactly? Does the release day tell us anandtech and others will have reviews up? Or are we to expect reviews up the day they announce a release date. Which then the release date would indicate when it will go to other parties to be put into notebooks.

Taking into any of these accounts, given a release date, how soon would one normally be able to purchase a notebook with it, at either Alienware or ExtremePCs. Based off of anyones experience of previous releases and such. I'm new to the laptop market and there timings, any info would be appreciated thnx.

Lordberek said:
Yes, he did mention that the 9000 would play Doom3... I find it hard to believe, but thats just my feeling based off of nothing so nevermind it hehe.

Yes, the 9000 should be "fine" for Doom3, just as the Radeon 8500 is suppossed to be as well.

An M10 should be better of course, but by how much, we don't know.

The M10 will be a dx9 part?

Yes. But who knows what performance will be like when running DX9 shaders. 8) The really important "practical" advantages about the M10 compared to M9 is likey to be:

1) Raw performance increase due to higher fill rate, bandwidth, and more advanced bandwidth saving techniques
2) Usable FSAA. (Use of M9 FSAA is limited because of the performance hit that comes with supersampling.)

I will wait another week or two. If anyone thinkings there wont be released by then, let me know. I want to wait, but not for another month or two.

To be clear, we should hear the "deatils" about the chip in a week or two. When they will show up in products is another question altogether. If we're lucky, it will show up in one or two specific models almost immediately, as was the case with the M9. If you're really lucky, those one or two models will mee the rest of your computing needs / budget as well. ;)

I was also figuring it to be on the performance of a desktop Geforce 4 ti 4200 or so?

Depending on clock rate, it should be on par with the 4200 in non AA / aniso situations. (Keep in mind that the 4200 is 4x2, and as far as we know, the M10 is 4x1). In some cases, particularly with older games, the 4200 can be faster. However, with AA or Aniso enabled, the M10 should be a SIGNIFICANT leader.

All bets are off if the M10 turns out to be something like a 4x2 or 8x1 chip. In that case, it would be no contest...the M10 should be a clear winner in any case.

EDIT: And in any case, the M10 should be MUCH more friendly to power consumption / battery life...

Back