HDMI cable for non HDMI PS3

tuna

Veteran
Since there is a lot of discussions about the lack of HDMI port on the €500 PS3 I have a little question: Would it be possible to have a HDMI output cable from the probably proprietery A/V out on the PS3 (like the current PS2 component cable) or is there some technical reason why this won't be possible?

I don't think anyone knows.

It could be possible, but it depends on if the internals connecting to the A/V plug can send out a digital signal. It's the same story with the 360's plug, we don't really know.

it would be possible to build an expensive converter from component to HDMI, but that still wont give you native HDMI (and playback protected content). Would be better to just use component direct.

The thing the cheaper SKU lacking is a chip which takes data directly from memory and converts it into a HDMI signal. Thats the only way to get HDMI and all its features.

edit: I doubt Sony would shoehorn HDMI into its MultiAV Connector. if the internals would be capable of producing an HDMI-Signal, a port on the backside wouldnt be expensice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there's no way you could get digital information out of the machine without it being encrypted, and that's likely to be the expensive bit of the equation.

Also, if it's a standard multi-AV output (like on existing machines) then I don't see how you'd cram the signal in - I suppose if you had some way of knowing which cable was connected you could reuse all the old pins... but I'm still not sure there'd be enough, and it sounds prone to problems.

Also, they've clearly said that HDMI is the one thing that *isn't* upgradeable from the low-end machine to the high-end... so if it was just a cable, I doubt they'd say that.

One possible option for Sony is to have all the relevent digital signals present on the base model's output connector. If you want HDMI then you'll need to buy a relatively simple dongle before it can be used. This would move the cost of the HDMI royalty fee onto the consumer, rather like what microsoft did with DVD playback on the original XBOX.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrSpiggott said:
One possible option for Sony is to have all the relevent digital signals present on the base model's output connector. If you want HDMI then you'll need to buy a relatively simple dongle before it can be used. This would move the cost of the HDMI royalty fee onto the consumer, rather like what microsoft did with DVD playback on the original XBOX.

If I recall, the royalties for HDMI on something as mass produced as PS3 should be somewhere around 4 cents per unit (it has the HDMI sticker, I think). I don't think the royalties are necessarily the biggest concern -- As MrWibble pointed out the output chip (with encryption) is likely the big cost issue of the HDMI, so I have a feeling we might not see any HDMI ever on the "Core" package (them saying HDMI is the one thing thats not upgradable sort of seals the deal too =o).

If the AV connector could output HDMI, why not have that connector on both models and just include the Sony HDMI cable with the premium SKU, and make it an accessory for the core model?

Back