Killzone 2 Behind closed doors?

jpr27

Regular
Sorry about the slew of questions but just got out of hospital (surgery :() and wanted to get caught up on some of the E3 news. I've been going over some of the usual sites but I havnt seen anything about Killzone 2? I believe that Sony bought the property (and development company not sure of name) but I'm still kind of shocked no mention of it at E3 or did I just totally miss it. If anyone has a link or info on the game I would appreciate it.

GAMESPOT:
The PlayStation 3 Killzone sequel: In 2005, the trailer for Sony-owned Dutch developer Guerrilla Games was the talk of the show. Its jaw-dropping graphics became the subject of controversy for being too good, causing many to whisper that they were prerendered. Sony steadfastly denied the accusations, and many E3 2005 attendees were confident that by the time the 2006 expo rolled around, subsequent Killzone 2 footage and/or demos would settle the kerfuffle surrounding the game.

Just one problem: There haven't been any. A year has come and gone, and Sony has kept a shroud of secrecy wrapped tight around the Killzone sequel. It wasn't included in Sony's pre-expo press briefing, it wasn't at any of the 62 PS3 demo stations on the E3 show floor, and it wasn't shown behind closed doors to the press. "I couldn't even get the guy from Guerrilla to say the words 'Killzone 2,'" said one editor.

Doesnt seem like it was shown at all...

Well if thats the case then maybe Sony is really taking its time with this ala GOW (God of War) and putting a when its done attitude on it. Just hope it doesnt take 3 yrs. to complete :) Although it is basicly another FPS, I dont see why (with enough time, money, console experience and advancements from storyline, graphics, sound, all the way up the ladder) this game couldnt be a strong FPS franchise for Sony.

IMO maybe thats what their shooting for and this time they will do what it takes to try and establish a Sony FPS brand on the next gen console. Guess we will just have to wait and see :)

awwww..awwww..awwwwwwwwww

Your thread title is a bit misleading jpr! :p I came in thinking that there were rumors of Killzone 2 shown behind closed doors :LOL:

Phill Harrison already mentioned at the GDC that KZ-PS3 was not planned for being a launchgame for PS3, hinting also between the lines that it is still a long way off from finishing.

I know MGS4 is also scheduled for 2007, and still it's previewed with realtime cut-scenes, but apparantly Guerilla chooses to not show anything. Their choice.

Guerilla got themselves into trouble for showing such a high standard trailer, and reassuring afterwards they will meet the level of detail that was done 'prerecorded to final spec', and it will eventually all make it to the game, according to them.

Being absolutely quiet about it at E3, without any footage or info released at all, it's pretty clear they are not reaching expected qualitylevel yet, so they keep the curtains closed untill they feel good about it.

I read some comments from several devs that it takes a lot of effort and manpower making these demos ready in general, maybe they are just not willing to sacrifice manpower and devhours into a E3-show, and prefer speeding up launchtime by finishing the game. They prolly don't need the extra pre-publicity anyway, this game's gonna be a hype by itself when it comes out, whether it reaches E3-2005 standard or not.

TrollFace said:
Phill Harrison already mentioned at the GDC that KZ-PS3 was not planned for being a launchgame for PS3, hinting also between the lines that it is still a long way off from finishing.

I know MGS4 is also scheduled for 2007, and still it's previewed with realtime cut-scenes, but apparantly Guerilla chooses to not show anything. Their choice.

Guerilla got themselves into trouble for showing such a high standard trailer, and reassuring afterwards they will meet the level of detail that was done 'prerecorded to final spec', and it will eventually all make it to the game, according to them.

Being absolutely quiet about it at E3, without any footage or info released at all, it's pretty clear they are not reaching expected qualitylevel yet, so they keep the curtains closed untill they feel good about it.

I read some comments from several devs that it takes a lot of effort and manpower making these demos ready in general, maybe they are just not willing to sacrifice manpower and devhours into a E3-show, and prefer speeding up launchtime by finishing the game. They prolly don't need the extra pre-publicity anyway, this game's gonna be a hype by itself when it comes out, whether it reaches E3-2005 standard or not.

Well I dont know if they can achieve the quality of the target render but even if they can I doubt they would have achieved that already in some form or the other. MGS4 has many cutscenes and the story is one with the game. Hideo can show something without having the gameplay in a form that can be shown yet. He can show the cutscenes and we know we wil get great things from his team like always.

But Killzone is a FPS and it consist of gameplay. They cant show a cutscene of it because nobody is expecting to see a cutscene. We all want to see gameplay, with AI and destructible enviroments of the target render. All in GAMEPLAY

Nesh said:
Well I dont know if they can achieve the quality of the target render but even if they can I doubt they would have achieved that already in some form or the other.

The lads seem very confident on their forum-board about their game, and I have to credit them for making the best looking FPS game on PS2 with KZ (not best game, but best looking game in the genre). They also have gotten great feedback and critics from their PSP-KZ being the best looking game on the handheld thingy so far. So I expect a pleasant surprise on PS3 too from them, they surely are some talented folks. The PS3 could unlock their visions even more, they were restricted before with limited memoryspace and power on PS2 with their engine and ideas, now they can really show what they can do.

MGS4 has many cutscenes and the story is one with the game. Hideo can show something without having the gameplay in a form that can be shown yet. He can show the cutscenes and we know we wil get great things from his team like always.

But Killzone is a FPS and it consist of gameplay. They cant show a cutscene of it because nobody is expecting to see a cutscene. We all want to see gameplay, with AI and destructible enviroments of the target render. All in GAMEPLAY
True, but I expect cinematics and cutscenes being more and more mixed into the gameplay, done in realtime with the gamengines. Also in a FPS.

Konami has indeed done this with MGS before with their gameengine, you even could move the camera with the analogue stick in the cutscenes looking at Eva and her boobs in MGS3 ( :rolleyes: ). Hideo stated he wanted to take this a big step further with MGS4.

I expect that kind of interactivity being much more seamlessly integrated in gameplay. You can already see that in Heavenly Sword (with the final boss-animations when she flies upwards, and several moves), and also in the BIA3 trailer (also FPS) where a great example of this kind of scripted cutscenes mixed into gameplay is shown. The moment the player directed his troops to the right with his command, the soldier in front of him got shot, and from that point a short sequence is scripted where the player catches the falling man with great animation and lot's more detail.

I guess because for a short time the gameplay-mechanics and A.I. are freezed, all CPU/GPU power can be dedicated to animation/visuals into that scene (like MGS4 trailer), so the face of the soldier you are looking instantly becomes much more detailed and it all goes into slow-motion time making it a very nice cinematic scene. After that, the action fluidly goes into a counterattack where the player takes full control of his gun back again.

Devs should do this kind of stuff much more in coming next-gen games, constantly switching between cinematics and gameplay, they are still too afraid to take control out of the players hands for a short time. Playing more with camera views, slowmotion, scripted animations etc will make the games much more impressive, without breaking away too drasticly from gameplay with a loadingscreen and a seperate CGI scene. It is essential that is being done in a fluid way, mixing both interactive and scripted stuff into one gameplay-experience.

TrollFace said:
True, but I expect cinematics and cutscenes being more and more mixed into the gameplay, done in realtime with the gamengines. Also in a FPS.

Konami has indeed done this with MGS before with their gameengine, you even could move the camera with the analogue stick in the cutscenes looking at Eva and her boobs in MGS3 ( :rolleyes: ). Hideo stated he wanted to take this a big step further with MGS4.

I expect that kind of interactivity being much more seamlessly integrated in gameplay. You can already see that in Heavenly Sword (with the final boss-animations when she flies upwards, and several moves), and also in the BIA3 trailer (also FPS) where a great example of this kind of scripted cutscenes mixed into gameplay is shown. The moment the player directed his troops to the right with his command, the soldier in front of him got shot, and from that point a short sequence is scripted where the player catches the falling man with great animation and lot's more detail.

I guess because for a short time the gameplay-mechanics and A.I. are freezed, all CPU/GPU power can be dedicated to animation/visuals into that scene (like MGS4 trailer), so the face of the soldier you are looking instantly becomes much more detailed and it all goes into slow-motion time making it a very nice cinematic scene. After that, the action fluidly goes into a counterattack where the player takes full control of his gun back again.

Devs should do this kind of stuff much more in coming next-gen games, constantly switching between cinematics and gameplay, they are still too afraid to take control out of the players hands for a short time. Playing more with camera views, slowmotion, scripted animations etc will make the games much more impressive, without breaking away too drasticly from gameplay with a loadingscreen and a seperate CGI scene. It is essential that is being done in a fluid way, mixing both interactive and scripted stuff into one gameplay-experience.

Yeah but you see their is still a difference. Hideo can demonstrate cut scenes, HS showed both gameplay and cut scenes and BIA showed both gameplay and cutscenes as well. ;)

The AI, physics and destructible enviroments in the Killzone target render were so detailed that they need lots of work to implement it in gameplay. I am sure they couldnt have anything ready in gameplay satisfactory form to show yet. The only thing they could have shown would have been cutscenes but people want to see the interaction and immersing experience demonstrated in the target render not just the static detail. Even the visual detail is so great that I doubt they would have had anything close to it to present either yet. They simply need more time until they show something that will be near that quality and make people happy and confident they will reach it. They have raised expectations so high they want to achieve a satisfactory level until they can present in public

I dont think you disagree with that right? ;)

Btw can you send me a link to their forum board? I d like to see since I have some high hopes for Killzone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
TrollFace said:
you even could move the camera with the analogue stick in the cutscenes looking at Eva and her boobs in MGS3 ( :rolleyes: ). Hideo stated he wanted to take this a big step further with MGS4.
Hideo wants to take looking at boobs a big step further in MGS4..?

:D

Whehe. Yeah, ya know, next-gen stuff. You can now navigate that high-poly moustache of Snake onto her b00bs, controlling his tongue franticly by moving the gyro controller. :rolleyes:

@ Nesh :

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=killzone

This is kind off their official board for KZ. They have a thread running for, I think, more than 2 years now, that is called "ask the dev team". Some members of their staff occasionally pop in, and answer questions of users. Mostly they can't tell too much cuz of the NDA's, but here and there some of their guys leaked some interesting tidbits about their progress on KZ-PS3.

It got a bit out of hand when the game-press were so eager for info, that they were actually quoting in news-reports what their staff were saying about their game and progress in that thread a while back, and after that Sony got into gear censuring even more stuff what they could say.

The thread that is running now prolly won't be that interesting if you're looking for lot's of info, but I do remember that previous threads (they start up new dev-threads when they get too full) from like a year or so back after E3 until the end of 2005, there were lot's of interesting things from their coders telling all kind of stuff about their experience with the PS3 and how powerfull it was for them. They really seemed very confident in reaching the target. If you have have lot's of spare time, you might want to search for older dev-threads and browse through them.

including rendered to spec nipples maybe .... :devilish: ... maybe we can go camel deep...
aaaaaaaanyway..
I'v got confirmed that Killzone at the current build of last month looked like crap byt someone who saw it runnin internaly at Sony in London..
I dont think there is a lot to say about this.. probably to early to show anything.. It would just backfire on them even if the final product looks very very nice

BlueTsunami said:
awwww..awwww..awwwwwwwwww

Your thread title is a bit misleading jpr! :p I came in thinking that there were rumors of Killzone 2 shown behind closed doors :LOL:

Sorry but I used a question mark :) But seriously I like others feel although still a little unimpressed with this years E3, I have high hope for future titles on the PS3 once the developers get a handle on the hardware.

Quote:

"But Killzone is a FPS and it consist of gameplay. They cant show a cutscene of it because nobody is expecting to see a cutscene. We all want to see gameplay, with AI and destructible enviroments of the target render. All in GAMEPLAY "

Im hoping that in the second generation of the next gen console games advanced AI and destructable environments will play major roles. As for cutscenes I hope we dont have another MGS2 (Movie) although using them to mask loading times etc would be interesting. By maximizing the multi cpu structures each console has the potential to expand the experiences in FPS. Hopefully KZ 2 along with Halo 3, MGS4 and other high profile FPS franchises will get the time to make the most that the each systems hardware can deliver. :)

@jpr27: Oh yes. This generation will be a hell of a battle. Probably the most interesting generation ever

Developers wont be just pushing the static visual detail of the games. They will be pushing the games to be as convincing as ever

TrollFace said:
Whehe. Yeah, ya know, next-gen stuff. You can now navigate that high-poly moustache of Snake onto her b00bs, controlling his tongue franticly by moving the gyro controller. :rolleyes:

@ Nesh :

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=killzone

This is kind off their official board for KZ. They have a thread running for, I think, more than 2 years now, that is called "ask the dev team". Some members of their staff occasionally pop in, and answer questions of users. Mostly they can't tell too much cuz of the NDA's, but here and there some of their guys leaked some interesting tidbits about their progress on KZ-PS3.

It got a bit out of hand when the game-press were so eager for info, that they were actually quoting in news-reports what their staff were saying about their game and progress in that thread a while back, and after that Sony got into gear censuring even more stuff what they could say.

The thread that is running now prolly won't be that interesting if you're looking for lot's of info, but I do remember that previous threads (they start up new dev-threads when they get too full) from like a year or so back after E3 until the end of 2005, there were lot's of interesting things from their coders telling all kind of stuff about their experience with the PS3 and how powerfull it was for them. They really seemed very confident in reaching the target. If you have have lot's of spare time, you might want to search for older dev-threads and browse through them.

Back