PS3 specs could change?

Arwin said:
No, the exact opposite. I think that there is no longer rumble support in the standard libraries for PS3. If Logitech designs a Rumble controller by themselves, it would probably be through a per game licence structure so that each game would have to decide for itself whether or not to support it and bear the cost (though Logitech could front that if they make it back on the controller). And this makes it unlikely that Logitech will actually do it because I don't think many people will buy a Logitech controller to be able to play with rumble in only a few games.

I have a feeling the libraries are still there. Devs would have known about the lack of rumble previously had the libraries been absent -- from what it sounded like a lot of devs were still adding rumble in like the always did (hence part of the surprise).

Bobbler said:
I have a feeling the libraries are still there. Devs would have known about the lack of rumble previously had the libraries been absent -- from what it sounded like a lot of devs were still adding rumble in like the always did (hence part of the surprise).

Will the Rumble feature still be part of the TCR for PS3 games, though? It would seem since it's not included in a 1st party piece of hardware that it wouldn't be deemed a requirement.

And on a side note, the jab at DopeyFish I believe was warranted. He's been on a mission to take bits of truth out of context and transform them into a massively coordinated FUD campaign with the likes of the Inquirer, Kotaku, Kikizo, and other semi-journalistic web entities. This in itself is not annoying me because I like the PlayStation brand (I also happen to like the XBox brand and the Nintendo brand), but rather, because it detracts from the relevant discussions here on this board. Neither would it had been acceptable had he been FUDing the XBox360 or the Wii. Look, most of us here are very aware that pre-launch development hardware eventually takes the form of final hardware through successive iterations of development kits as the accompanying silicon finalizes. But trying to spin these types of things as 'downgrades total' is rather pathetic. Get over it. The hardware will eventually be what it will be, regardless if it gets a slight upgrade or downgrade. It will not signifigantly change the perceptible experience the user will eventually have.

Bobbler said:

If the system shipped with the libraries still there Sony would have to pay royalties for the support, which would lead me to ask why they don't bother supporting the function if they are going to pay for it anyways.

Powderkeg said:
If the system shipped with the libraries still there Sony would have to pay royalties for the support, which would lead me to ask why they don't bother supporting the function if they are going to pay for it anyways.

Pay royalties? To who?

Their libraries to support rumble were never the cause of the court case, as far as I know. It was the implementation of certain rumble patterns in a handful of games, from what I remember of that cheeseball case.

I'm pretty sure the patent was about the implementation used within the Dualshock controllers, for which Sony apparently never paid the license fees. Third party controller manufacturers, like Logitech, as far as is publically known presumably have paid the licensing fees.

In any case, given that it was fairly well known that people had been developing using Logitech controllers rather than what ultimately became the final controller, and that backwards compatibility with PS2 games is still part of protocol, I think it's a given that the rumble feature is still part of the libs. Though neither is really "proof" per se.

Thread Pruned

I'm just saying, but the name of the sub Forum is Console Technology not Who's a Fan Person And Who's Not According to You.

Even though some posts were actually thoughtful, this type of discussions have no place in this particular sub Forum.

On a side note, if some of you are really interested in the sociological side effects that the purchase of a Consumer Electronic product create on a part of the population in general and in this board, and I'm only half kidding when I say that, then just start a thread in the General Discussion Forum.

That can be a quite interesting Topic for all the members of the board, not for the Console Forum ones only, since the "problem" is also common in the PC space too.
As long as the thread is comprised of complete posts on the topic and not just a succession of "You're all nothing but a bunch of despicable Fan-boys, while I, for one, am the temple of the unbiased fairness and virtue!" type of posts, then the discussion has no particular reasons not to be allowed. On the proper Forum, that is.
In case someone starts such a thread in General Discussion, those who wrote long posts on the subject in this thread can ask me to copy/paste the pruned content of their post in a PM.

I dont think I will miss the rumble feature too much but the motion sensing if done right could play an interesting role too. Instead of having to go up to a wall and use the d-pad or hold a button and use to analog stick to peek around a corner, the player could simply tilt the controller slightly in the direction he wants to lean around. Off the top of my head that would be a great use.Seems like it could be smooth and fairly simple to implement if done correctly. I'm sure there are many more ideas out there the developers are experimenting with.

I just hope that the motion sensor has sensitivity levels that can be adjusted. It would really ruin the experience if I have to make drastic movements to get the sensor to recognize motion sensing movements Then again I think this feature should be pretty solid if Sony is now commited to it.

The good ole wait and see game dont we all love it :)

Back