PS3 specs could change?

I think inefficient was being sarcastic.
Also the SPE's do have their own 256kb of local store scratchpad RAM whatever you want to call it so they are not cacheless.

sonyps35 said:
I wouldn't be that worried about Cell downgrade to 2.8 GHZ anyway. I think a RSX clock downgrade would be far more harmful.

agreed.

obviously a core clockspeed downgrade for RSX would be FAR more harmful to PS3 than a downgrade to Cell's clockspeed, since GPU's have lower clockspeeds than CPUs to begin with. but also, since RSX is already at the mid-range of GPU performance (compared to highend GPUs) whereas CELL is on the highend of CPU performance (compared to highend CPUs).

I'll wait for the PS3 to actually be released and then do a comparison vs. the 2005 E3 PS3 to see how much it's changed.

The SPE's do have their own 256kb of local store scratchpad RAM whatever you want to call it so they are not cacheless.

They perform a similar function but local store is not the same as cache, cache holds a representation of memory, local store does not.

ADEX said:
They perform a similar function but local store is not the same as cache, cache holds a representation of memory, local store does not.

Isn't that like saying a helicopter isn't the same as a parachute?

Here we go again....

The Inquirer says:

We were told that the PS3 components were way too large to fit into the case, and the fact that there are no betas, and serious talk of an external PSU don't do much to harm the faith I had in my source. As a note to the twits who still insist that they saw a 'working PS3' at E3, you were taken for a ride, get over it. Next time, learn the basics of conning the stupid, and look for them. Either way, I get this sneaking suspicion that we may see a PS3 case 'upgrade' before the ship date.

More in the article but basically it:
* uses the Kotaku rumours
* is written by the same moron who questioned/stole the pictures off someone here (xboxdestroya?)
* puts in loads of 'we were right' comments because the same moron spouted the same claims the week previous (RSX sucking etc.)

I know it's TheInq and no one outside these forums/the Internet will even hear the claims they make, but I am starting to notice it's become the cool thing to doubt the PS3. Not so say Xbox didn't have this, but I don't remember it being so quantifiable.

All these rumours about a spec downgrade for PS3, where do they come from?
Because there are lots of them... is it like "where it is smoke, there is a fire" here?

I find it kinda hard to believe that people take this from their arse and put it up on their site if it weren´t "valid" in some ways...

November can´t come soon enough..

EndR said:
All these rumours about a spec downgrade for PS3, where do they come from?
Because there are lots of them... is it like "where it is smoke, there is a fire" here?

Like I rambled earlier, it is quite simple: Because some of them are true... in a certain context. Dev kits have slower memory and slower GPUs. Oh no, the world is falling! :rolleyes: Fans take the information and twist it and misuse it for their own end. If you are anti-Sony you read it one way, if you are pro-Sony you read it another. Same thing happened 12 months ago with the 360. Like I said, the PS3 specs did not magically change in 3 weeks since E3.

Although I must admit the following had me laughing:

The Villiage Idiot said:
Either way, I get this sneaking suspicion that we may see a PS3 case 'upgrade' before the ship date.

:LOL: The comment is funny on so many levels.On a lighter note, based on the "to scale" pictures, based on the plug size, people were posting last year about how the PS3 was a bit shorter than the 360, I would say this already happened! Ok, maybe that is not funny, but console size never mattered to me anyhow. It could be 50% larger yet and I would not care.

Titanio said:
arguably PS3 is a better gaming platform today than it was at E3 05.

how do you figure? (out of interest?) - lately there's been so many negs being thrown about I didn't realise there were potential pluses!?

eb said:
how do you figure? (out of interest?) - lately there's been so many negs being thrown about I didn't realise there were potential pluses!?

Since E3 05 the plusses and minuses have been:

- HDMI port
- Switch
- 2 USB ports

+ Standard HDD
+ Motion Sensing

That's looking at the 'premium pack'. You could argue Rumble is a minus, but they never confirmed it'd be in the PS3 controller. I'd very happily swap those bits taken out for those bits added in - the standard HDD and motion detection in the controller contribute a lot more to the system from a game development point of view than a AV port or network switch or a couple of extra USB ports. Don't you think?

Kryton said:
More in the article but basically it:
* uses the Kotaku rumours
* is written by the same moron who questioned/stole the pictures off someone here (xboxdestroya?)
* puts in loads of 'we were right' comments because the same moron spouted the same claims the week previous (RSX sucking etc.)

I know it's TheInq and no one outside these forums/the Internet will even hear the claims they make, but I am starting to notice it's become the cool thing to doubt the PS3. Not so say Xbox didn't have this, but I don't remember it being so quantifiable.

Dude, Charlie D is making me so furious right now, it's not even funny.

xbdestroya said:
Dude, Charlie D is making me so furious right now, it's not even funny.

Let it die bro... The more you bring attention to him the more hits become of it...and probably the more people start to believe his (insert whatever).

Titanio said:

- HDMI port
- Switch
- 2 USB ports

+ Standard HDD
+ Motion Sensing

That's looking at the 'premium pack'. You could argue Rumble is a minus, but they never confirmed it'd be in the PS3 controller. I'd very happily swap those bits taken out for those bits added in - the standard HDD and motion detection in the controller contribute a lot more to the system from a game development point of view than a AV port or network switch or a couple of extra USB ports. Don't you think?

Not arguing with the premise or the post, but I would argue that rumble is a minus when done right. I think the 360 is the first time I have felt that it was/is done right, primarily because of the subtleness of it when compared to previous iterations of rumble. Going over road seams in PGR3 is completely different than firing a weapon in GRAW...anyway, again not an argument about overall plusses and minuses, but I will notice the lack of it, besides its the only way I know its my turn when I am falling asleep or going to the bathroom while playing UNO :devilish:

Titanio said:

- HDMI port
- Switch
- 2 USB ports

+ Standard HDD
+ Motion Sensing

thanks, and yes I agree - often the (now confirmed) standard HDD is overlooked! I remember jokingly saying about Sony picking up on a this when MS (IMHO) screwed up by dropping it from the X360...very smart move. The controller is certainly interesting...I guess time will tell.

NucNavST3 said:
Not arguing with the premise or the post, but I would argue that rumble is a minus when done right. I think the 360 is the first time I have felt that it was/is done right, primarily because of the subtleness of it when compared to previous iterations of rumble. Going over road seams in PGR3 is completely different than firing a weapon in GRAW...anyway, again not an argument about overall plusses and minuses, but I will notice the lack of it, besides its the only way I know its my turn when I am falling asleep or going to the bathroom while playing UNO :devilish:

Actually i have the exat oposite experience. The 360 rumble is worst i ever experienced. The DS2 rumble in PS2 was way better than this. I almost don't notice the rumble in 360, when i play. I guess this weakness is to enhance battery life, becase rumble consumes most of the required energy. (nice effect when battery charge is going down, and a rumble occurs, the controller turns off during gameplay...)

On the other hand, i don't miss it that much (might also be becaus its so week on 360).

Yes, the missing forced feedback and rumble are minuses. I will probably miss them in some games.

The Inquirer said:
Next time, learn the basics of conning the stupid, and look for them.

Heh heh, when I read this sentence on The Inquirer, I felt like kicking myself. I've been conned into reading the article like many it seems.

I also googled for "PS3" to see what shows up. The 10th item is Slashdot's "PS3 Broken" article. 15th is a similar article ("PS3 Slow and Broken") on The Inquirer. So I guess spreading mis-information like this on a larger scale can indeed be a successful assault on the Playstation brand :)

Like xbdestroya, I have my own run-in with an irritating crook who stole my content and my members content. He even tried to steal my domain name using some cheap masquading technique. Since then, I have very low trust level for Internet sites except for the "big" ones. Nevertheless let's not get worked up over The Inquirer. Someone start a new topic. Any topic ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for me it was Charlie D claiming that my pictures/content were stolen off some French site or something... and there's clearly no need to go further into which direction the 'theft' was actually taking place.

But whatever - me and him have this back and forth going on functional units at E3, and the 'twits' thing is him taking a swipe at me. (I maintain there were functional units though, btw)

NucNav's right though and it's not worth it for me to respond. The sad fact is that the Inquirer has such reach over the Internet, that even when they're flat-out wrong about *whatever* topic (RSX most recently), it sort of turns into de facto truth. No use getting bent out of shape about it. Obviously most of us know that this most recent article of Inq's is 'broken' because it just grabs the Kotaku facts and runs with them.

Just three months to go until TGS, we'll see what's up then.

Not that it's any private citizens job to defend Sony either, but I do feel sorry for the torrent of FUD they are enduring from the likes of the Inquirer and Kotaku of late. It's hard to account for Internet smear campaigns in your marketing plans.

patsu said:
Yes, the missing forced feedback and rumble are minuses. I will probably miss them in some games.

Just the rumble though eh? We've just read that Logitech will continue to bring its products to the PS3 platform and is still working with Sony on new stuff (cf the Driving Force and Driving Force Pro wheels that were 'official' Gran Turismo wheels) including all its licenced technology. On the Playstation you've always been able to load drivers yourself in a game - you've never had to have them pre-installed on the Console's OS like on the Xbox. I don't think that has changed with the PS3. Just that rumble won't be there by default and so it will be less interesting to support rumble. But force feedback on wheels is a different matter, I expect.

Linky

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, does that mean the Playstation SDK includes a built-in rumble API even though the standard controller cannot vibrate ? That would be good.

patsu said:
Ok, does that mean the Playstation SDK includes a built-in rumble API even though the standard controller cannot vibrate ? That would be good.

No, the exact opposite. I think that there is no longer rumble support in the standard libraries for PS3. If Logitech designs a Rumble controller by themselves, it would probably be through a per game licence structure so that each game would have to decide for itself whether or not to support it and bear the cost (though Logitech could front that if they make it back on the controller). And this makes it unlikely that Logitech will actually do it because I don't think many people will buy a Logitech controller to be able to play with rumble in only a few games.

Back