PS3 specs could change?

Dave Baumann said:
Actually, it depends on what docs you happen to be looking at. However, Sony's doc's indicate that FP16 rendering drops the fillrate to 4 writes per cycle, which is consistent with the NV4x/G7x hardware having 8 ROP's.

Uhmm Dave, ok now i understand you POV.
Edit, Im not sure anymore if they actually *not* make a difference between 6900/7x cards.
It had to do with 4cycle vs 2 cycle read as write.
More than 8ROPs would suprice me but when final kits arrive we should have all this worked out besides the MHz.

Platon said:
Would really, increasing the MHz from 550 to say 600 really make such a big difference? Sure, I can see it happening, IF it does not cost Sony one single cent and if it does not cause any problems with heating...

If my little theory holds right it could well be that the target speed is achived with less heat or in other cases it could be a bump, i really dont see anything spectacular about it. Its natural progress and its only logical with 7 more months that they put it in the owen 2 more times IMO.

Brimstone said:
12 Shader Pipes???

RSX = GeForce 7600???

Yes or No?

That would be a Big NO, hehe ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the RSX possible change..
We don´t know yet what modifications have been made. The speculation is that RSX is a G70 but the G70 has lots of "PC-stuff" that aren´t needed for PS3.
One of the things they might have added could be audio-related. IIRC, there were some slides a time ago showing something with AUDIO in the RSX.

Anyways...
PS3 specs will probably be the same as they are now, 3.2Ghz CPU with a 550Mhz RSX. If something has changed, a downgrade is the most likely due to cost issues. And here I think the RSX will be affected.. I don´t know why, call it a hunch.

Take PureVideo out since Cell can do this task.

Take PCI-Express interface out since it isn´t going to be used.

Take SLI interface out since it isn´t going to be used.

With all this out you can win in redundancy and reduce the cost of the RSX.

Dave Baumann said:
Because there are multiple bullshit methods of counting FLOPS on a graphics chip and they vary depending on what people decide to include at any given moment.

hahahahh you need to participate in more of the console threads, Dave!!!

Urian said:
Take PureVideo out since Cell can do this task.

Take PCI-Express interface out since it isn´t going to be used.

Take SLI interface out since it isn´t going to be used.

With all this out you can win in redundancy and reduce the cost of the RSX.

The problem was that.. at last years E3, the RSX had the 300 mil transistor count. AFAIK, that is the same as the G70. So something has been removed and added.. or something in those lines..

EndR said:
The problem was that.. at last years E3, the RSX had the 300 mil transistor count. AFAIK, that is the same as the G70. So something has been removed and added.. or something in those lines..

GS (PS2's Graphics Synthesizer) was added to the RSX so that there is partial hardware BC.

rounin said:
When was this announced? If so, it sounds good to me :smile:

I'm just making an educated guess, based off a comment Kutaragi made about backwards compatability. He said something to the extent of the route we are taking to ensure backwards compatability is an expensive one, but one that we think is justifiable.

EndR said:

Another option is that the transistor count could have been derived from NV47 because RSX had not been completed at the time.

Acert93 said:
Another option is that the transistor count could have been derived from NV47 because RSX had not been completed at the time.

That is what I also thought. At that point RSX was still quite "theoretical" AFAIK, so they just copy/pasted the geforce specs and were done with it...

Platon said:
That is what I also thought. At that point RSX was still quite "theoretical" AFAIK, so they just copy/pasted the geforce specs and were done with it...

Heheh.. apparently, lots of parts on the PS3 were theoretical last year. . :cool:

IIRC, Sony will have a Playstation Meeting in June/july right?

Additional stuff for allowing backwards compatibility?

GS had some capabilities very different than today's GPUs.

Please don't drag in other forums. A troll is a troll and we don't need know their feeding or breeding habits described to help spot them. I know there's some naturalists that like to study the migratory habits of these creatures, but this is Beyond3D, not National Geographic. Besides, if the numbers keeping increasing they won't be tracked and studied inquisitively but classed as vermin. They already are in some cyber-States.

Shifty Geezer said:
Please don't drag in other forums. A troll is a troll and we don't need know their feeding or breeding habits described to help spot them. I know there's some naturalists that like to study the migratory habits of these creatures, but this is Beyond3D, not National Geographic. Besides, if the numbers keeping increasing they won't be tracked and studied inquisitively but classed as vermin. They already are in some cyber-States.

Did you have to mention breeding? Ugh.

;)

Tahir2 said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that PureVideo or a form of it is staying in RSX.

I dout RSX would need it really, what with Cell being so good at Video decodeing.

ROG27 said:
GS (PS2's Graphics Synthesizer) was added to the RSX so that there is partial hardware BC.

Already said to be PURE software BC.

Dave Baumann said:
Actually, it depends on what docs you happen to be looking at. However, Sony's doc's indicate that FP16 rendering drops the fillrate to 4 writes per cycle, which is consistent with the NV4x/G7x hardware having 8 ROP's.
Which document is it?

Back