PS3 specs could change?

It has to do with hardware balancing rather than upgrade...I don't think final numbers would be dramatically different from what we already know today.

expletive said:
Does the 7900GT run at a temperature that would require it to be clocked down to run cool enough in a console?

My 7900GT at 550 runs pretty cool, has the cheeseball stock GT fan/heatsink, which is likely a lot less robust then more thought out cooling in a console -- they can set up the configuration and know exactly what is in the system and how the airflow is going to work.

I wouldn't expect any spec changes to the CPU/GPU/Ram at this point. Who knows, but if anything we're talking a negligable amount either way (and certainly we wouldn't be getting more ram).

The lack of Cell/RSX details/confirmation so close to launch "concerned" me a bit as well. Given the trend Sony has shown, they've been removing features and not adding...

Asher said:
The lack of Cell/RSX details/confirmation so close to launch "concerned" me a bit as well. Given the trend Sony has shown, they've been removing features and not adding...

Wasn't the Emotion Engine clocked up a bit just before the PS2 launch?

well if anything the clock was slightly lower (ever so slightly) from 300Mhz to 294Mhz. However it's theoretical peak polygon performance went from 55Mil polygons/sec from ISSCC '99 to 75Mil polygons/sec by the March Sony press conference.

emotion engine was first said to be 250mhz by Sony , X months before release they bumped it up to 300mhz (well 294Mhz like you say so :) )
This is what .Melchiah. was asking about

Cell was confirmed to still be running at 3.2 Ghz in a recent interview with a Sony Exec. RSX specs were still not mentioned. I'm assuming it got a bump to 600+ Mhz. I can't really imagine why they would downgrade the spec on a chip that won't even be mass produced for a couple of months.

ROG27 said:
Cell was confirmed to still be running at 3.2 Ghz in a recent interview with a Sony Exec. RSX specs were still not mentioned. I'm assuming it got a bump to 600+ Mhz. I can't really imagine why they would downgrade the spec on a chip that won't even be mass produced for a couple of months.

that's my "guess" as well

Only reason for a downgrade would ofcourse be problems with yields or heat on the RSX. Don't know how good the RSX is doing at the fabs. Since it is probabaly for 90% or so close family of the 7800GTX, I guess the previous/current work and experience on producing this GPU for PC's will benefit RSX yields.

Speaking of changing specs, they should definetely include the rumble as well as the gyro. I can understand the tilt-sensor can't be used with the rumble, but they should still give the devs and players the option to choose either one of them. So if they want rumble, just turn off the tiltsensor, and vice versa. Technicly easy to implement, and everybody's happy with given the choice to go for his favorite aspect in the game. Some people like rumble, some like the new tilt controls.

expletive said:
Does the 7900GT run at a temperature that would require it to be clocked down to run cool enough in a console?

Given how large the PS3 is, the full PC version speed of 650Mhz is not out of the question.

I would think it is. Yields become a problem the higher you crank up the clock, and while Nvidia can ship 7900GTXes at that clock, the volume is nowhere near that of what will be made for the PS3. And the low-end chips that don't hit the 650MHz can be rebranded as other, lower-clocked/quad-disabled/etc versions.

I'm slightly leaning towards a slight downclock of RSX for cost reasons alone.

nonamer said:
Given how large the PS3 is, the full PC version speed of 650Mhz is not out of the question.

The best idea would be, to change the bussystem from 128 bit to 256 bit, like in the Geforce 7900 GT. The slow bus with only 22 GB/s is the weakest point in the ps3 architecture. Current PCs have twice the bandwidth.

I don't think they will reduce the power. The first planned release was in spring, so hardware was more expensive at this time. They have removed some other hardware feature like two HDMI ports. Maybe they have done this to get more money "free" for more power.

It would be no good idea to present lower specs, more than ever, after some of the dissapointments from the E3.

Rally said:
The best idea would be, to change the bussystem from 128 bit to 256 bit, like in the Geforce 7900 GT. The slow bus with only 22 GB/s is the weakest point in the ps3 architecture. Current PCs have twice the bandwidth.

I don't get why this keeps coming up. I'd have thought people would have got it by now.

The PS3 splits the 256bit bus used in the PC part into 2 x 128 bit bus. One to VRAM, and the other via FlexIO to system memory. The same bandwidth is available in the PS3 (more or less) as in the PC version (7900), but is split down 2 paths.

For a game console this is a big win, as it can render directly from dynamically generated geometry or textures in main memory.

On a PC, any dynamic data that's changing per frame (e.g. Physics objects, Streamed data, Decoded movie frames etc) has to be transferred over the PCI express bus (which is max 4GB/s on the latest x16 version, but more likely 2GB/s or less). This is really slow, and so you can have huge detailed geometry and textures that just sit in VRAM and never change, but as soon as you start wanting to blow stuff up, you have to start moving things over the painfully slow PCIe or worse AGP bus.

The RSX can render this data directly from the main memory using the other half of the 256bit bus that the PC part dedicates completely to VRAM. This obviously is at the cost of bandwidth to VRAM, but this makes alot of sense to do this when you know that alot of your data needs to be changing each frame, as you do in a game.

psp111 said:
I don't get why this keeps coming up. I'd have thought people would have got it by now.

The PS3 splits the 256bit bus used in the PC part into 2 x 128 bit bus. One to VRAM, and the other via FlexIO to system memory. The same bandwidth is available in the PS3 (more or less) as in the PC version (7900), but is split down 2 paths.

Because it's not the same thing, and you're fooling yourself if you think Cell isn't going to hog bandwidth if it's operating at a high efficiency.

psp111 said:

Doesn't the system memory have much higher latency?

Asher said:
Because it's not the same thing

Well no, they're not the same at all.

A 256bit bus to VRAM is great for GPU benchmarks tests, where you compete to see who can get the highest Triangle and Vertex counts in some artificial mega-detailed static mesh.

A fast path to dynamic data like that of the PS3/RSX is great for making real games.

Back