Interresting Sony KDL32V2000 review

Very nice!

Lyris is a very good poster, bit of a Sony fanboi but he's good. The best feature in the Sony LCD's in my opinion is the total control of the backlight, which makes them produce very very deep blacks.

Backlight control is really nice.

I found this review of the previous (2005) V-series: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/sony-xbr-review.shtml

The previous V-series performance was enough to make the plasmatvguide consider it a potential competitor to the plasma TV: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/sony-lcd-vs-plasma.html
The Sony KDL-V40XBR1 (read the full review at LCD TV Buying Guide) is an impressive set in the lucrative 40-42 inch market. The LCDs score ranks with plasma TVs in many areas and received an overall test score of 93/100. Enhanced pixel technology allows for an increased off axis viewing angle and its measured 985:1 contrast ratio is impressive for an LCD, which normally contain mediocre black-level performance.

I'd love to find out if the new S-series also has the level of backlight control the new V-series has. It's time for me to get a new telly and i need to know these things :LOL: gonna check the AVforums...

I downloaded the user manual (pdf) of the KDL-xxS2000 HDTVs (s-series) and it has an independent backlight control in the picture settings like the v-series :)

I've said to Lyris before, he didn't agree with me at the time. The poor HD Sony connectivity is a mistake. My JVC 32DX7 has backlight control and 2 HDMI inputs and is £200-£300 cheaper and comparable PQ. Oh and has great sound for a Tv - for when the amp isn't on.

The problem with Sony's overpriced TVs is that HD feed look awesome on ALL HDTVs. Sony's advantage is on SD feeds, and maybe colour accuracy and vibrance (if even that)... If you don't watch SD things, Sony's advantage isn't all that great, especially for the price they ask for their high-end sets.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words.

I've said to Lyris before, he didn't agree with me at the time. The poor HD Sony connectivity is a mistake. My JVC 32DX7 has backlight control and 2 HDMI inputs and is £200-£300 cheaper and comparable PQ. Oh and has great sound for a Tv - for when the amp isn't on.
Actually I totally agree with that regarding connectivity. If you go to the end of my big long review I use some pretty harsh words and tell them that the connectivity on this TV is embarassing and under-specified - there should definitely be at least 2 HDMI inputs on a TV this expensive.

I checked out the JVCs and it is in a very strong second place to this Sony and is a real bargain at the price - I considered buying it so I could save myself 450 pounds! From using a 480p Nintendo GameCube in store though, the scaling was slightly less clean. As I said though, if you want the extra HDMI and can sacrifice a little bit of the 'natural' look then the JVC might be a far better bet for people.

As for being a Sony ****** - definitely not a ******, but you're right, a big fan (and a new one too). Do consider also that I own a Panasonic DVD player, a Cambridge amp, Mission speakers, and a Philips PC monitor (because I tried a Sony monitor that was garbage). Also if you read my web site (www.lyris-lite.net) you'll see that I tear into Sony Computer Entertainment and Playstation every few weeks ;) so don't think I worship the ground Sony walk on - I did cancel my pre-order of the 2005 V-Series after they screwed it up in Europe!

Hey Lyris,

What Sony you tried? I have a X-Black HS75P/B and it is great: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26047
This monitor is ~40% more expensive than similar Samsung monitor here, but the difference in black levels is enough for me to justify it.
This is one of the reasons I am considering Sony for HDTV in the future.
Unfortunatelly in my country we only have the 2005 s-series which dont have a good contrast.

I liked the pictures you posted, specially this one:
seven2.jpg

Good job :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pascal

I can't remember the model name of the Sony monitor I wasn't impressed with. But the response time was really, really bad - quoted at 12ms if I recall rightly but any strong colour would leave trails everywhere.

The response time was so bad for games like Unreal Tournament 2004 that it actually made it seem as if the game was running at a lower frame rate - there was that much delay on the panel!

Of course, as I said, the Sony TVs are a different story!

Lyris said:
Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words.

Actually I totally agree with that regarding connectivity. If you go to the end of my big long review I use some pretty harsh words and tell them that the connectivity on this TV is embarassing and under-specified - there should definitely be at least 2 HDMI inputs on a TV this expensive.

I checked out the JVCs and it is in a very strong second place to this Sony and is a real bargain at the price - I considered buying it so I could save myself 450 pounds! From using a 480p Nintendo GameCube in store though, the scaling was slightly less clean. As I said though, if you want the extra HDMI and can sacrifice a little bit of the 'natural' look then the JVC might be a far better bet for people.

Hi Lyris, the WWW is a very small place isn't it :) yeah I agree your review is very fair. I was just pointing out that I had stated at AVforumsthat I struck the Sony's off my list before they were released as the announced connectivity was poor. I thought we had had a discussion where you said that two HDMI wasn't necessary for now (back in feb i think it was).

JVC marketing is poor isn't it? How many threads ask is the Sony worht the extra over the Samsung/Panny/Tosh and forget the JVC?

Yeah, you're right, people ignore JVC all too much. It's pretty wrong how many people are taken in by Samsung's efforts yet ignore much better ones like JVC's.

I thought we had had a discussion where you said that two HDMI wasn't necessary for now (back in feb i think it was).
I could be wrong but I think that must have been someone else - I'm sick of companies putting multiple SCART inputs on the back of their TVs but ignoring proper HD, Progressive connections like Component and HDMI and complain about it quite a lot :D

Not read your review yet Lyris but will be doing so soon (TM).

I'm looking for a DVD player at the moment and was wondering what your Panasonic model was and if you were entirely happy with it.

I might end up making an HTPC instead by the looks of things... even the expensive £300 and more models are not perfect for what I want to do (which is playing DivX 5/6 perfectly, no Cadence issue with PAL DVD's and possibly but not necessarily upscaling).

I'm looking for a DVD player at the moment and was wondering what your Panasonic model was and if you were entirely happy with it.
I'm not - it's a good player but it uses the Faroudja chip. That means it has the macroblocking enhance problem where areas of flat colour (especially noticeable on cartoons) receive extra MPEG blocking flickering that isn't visible on other players.

I'm looking for a replacement and if you look on my site I've recently reviewed a new Pioneer player that didn't have the macroblocking problem but has a motion problems instead. I'm going to try the Sony players since they normally use proprietary chipsets (and will avoid Faroudja as a result), and also because I feel I should try a Sony player after never having owned one before.

I saw the V-series last week during my trip.
The image is oustanding for an LCD.

It was not imported by Sony but for another smaller company. The price was too much for me, US$ 5,000.00 for a 32" model. I will wait Sony assembly it here.

I've decided i will buy a 40V2000. It keeps getting rave reviews, and having seen some in the shops, i'm convinced.
It's not gonna happen for a while so they might release a better V40, probably the rumoured 40V2500, which will drive prices for the V2000 down.

It's good to see Sony at the top of the TV business again.

Back