More R350 Info

elroy said:
but 40% faster than the 9700 Pro
:oops: I didnt think we would see so much out of refresh part. Is this of ATI, i know Nv has had a good track record of releasing refresh parts with this sort of gain.

later,

Its not your fathers ati i guess :) Its great seeing things get shaken up a bit in the sector . I would love to see ati become the market leader only for videolodgic to come out of no where and steal it from them :)

epicstruggle said:
:oops: I didnt think we would see so much out of refresh part. Is this of ATI, i know Nv has had a good track record of releasing refresh parts with this sort of gain.

later,

Umm, I hate to disagree, but Nvidia rarely releases new parts with even a 40% gain! Well, unless you consider 640*480 maybe?

Reading this article one thing came up that i was suprised at:
rv350 will use ddr2. Can anyone else comfirm this? Looks like Ati is planning on hitting nv with everything and the kitchen sink in the coming months.

I can't confirm (or deny it), because I have no idea. However, if they are using DDR-II, I assume it's either a cost or power consumption measure, not performance.

What really surprised me, is that they are stating the M10 to be an 8 pipeline part. That is, using either the R300 or R350 core. That doesn't make much sense to me...unless it turns out that ATI will introduce two new notebook parts, one based on the RV350, and another one for "desknotes", the R300/350.

Joe DeFuria said:
I can't confirm (or deny it), because I have no idea. However, if they are using DDR-II, I assume it's either a cost or power consumption measure, not performance.
What? Just a minute ago DDR-II cost too much and was too power hungry. What changed?

DDR-I is reaching the architectural limits of its speed, making other memory types a necessity if they want to want to avoid angering the bandwidth gods.

Joe DeFuria said:
Reading this article one thing came up that i was suprised at:
rv350 will use ddr2. Can anyone else comfirm this? Looks like Ati is planning on hitting nv with everything and the kitchen sink in the coming months.

What really surprised me, is that they are stating the M10 to be an 8 pipeline part. That is, using either the R300 or R350 core.

Only if you're right in our little "trannie" count dispute from long ago (oops, started even before that!) concerning the RV350 :p

:arrow: gets ready to hide from the tweaking a certain person is likely to be contemplating... :LOL:

RussSchultz said:
Joe DeFuria said:
What? Just a minute ago DDR-II cost too much and was too power hungry. What changed?

I thought that was just the nvidia overvolted version of "DDR-II" at high clock speeds?

DDR-I is reaching the architectural limits of its speed, making other memory types a necessity if they want to want to avoid angering the bandwidth gods.

Not for the clockspeeds they are targetting, surely?

The current DDR-II modules are 2.5V core/1.8V IO. Samsung's next part (256Mb version) is also listed with the same parameters, though somebody has mentioned a lower voltage (hence lower power) version of the part coming out sometime, but I couldn't find mention of it on samsung's site.

http://www.samsungelectronics.com/s...ily=103&name=Graphics_Memory&pageno=1

I think 700Mhz (350Mhz) is getting pretty far up their for DRAMs to operate effeciently, going much further will require an architectural change. (Whether it be to a new signalling method, or dropping the I/O voltage down to allow smaller processes to operate without burning power in level shifters, etc)

I think 700Mhz (350Mhz) is getting pretty far up their for DRAMs to operate effeciently, going much further will require an architectural change

We've already discussed one manufacturer going up to 500MHz DDR.

RussSchultz said:
Joe DeFuria said:
I think the DDR-2 specs are moving from a 2.5 volts to 1.8v.

I think ram can go faster, but you might see the end of raw chips on a board, the suckers will need first heatsinks, then active cooling.

Ummm..500 MHZ DDR-II costs too much and is too power hungry. ;) I don't see any of these ATI products using anything more than 350 MHz...possibly 400 Mhz Ram.

Mhz for Mhz, DDR-II should be more power friendly. Cost will all depend on market forces. I'm sure 350 Mhz DDR-II isn't in the same price league as 500 Mhz....

After a year of browsing this forum I finally wanted to post something bad enough to register... Here goes.

Does anyone know whether the RV350 will be 128 bit bus or 256 bit bus?

Socos said:
After a year of browsing this forum I finally wanted to post something bad enough to register... Here goes.

Good question, but I think it will be on a 128bit bus simply because it is supposed to be a value part. A 256bit bus would require a more expensive PCB and I think ATi has enough varieties of the 256bit bus to go around at this point. I'd wager on a 128bit bus on a value part..... best guess.

DaveBaumann said:
Socos said:

Yes. Was that worth the wait? :LOL: :devilish: ;)

Oh no Dave come on "yes"...!!?? argh.. That would be a surprise if the RV350 had a 256bit bus.

EDIT: A rather nice surpirse at that. But the rumors that I have read say that the R300 core was heavily striped back to about 75 million transistors and I simply would assume that since it is a value part with considerably less complexity it would be on a 128bit bus...but that may be a horribly mistaken assumption. "yes" what... come on man.

Back