Smash Bros. Brawl :)

Those mirror my thoughts too. Since this is Twilight Princess Zelda (though made Brunette, which could simply be an alternate costume palette swap), it would be kind of strange for her to turn into Sheik. However, she was pretty weak on her own in Melee, so they'd have to up her abilities a bit (maybe the reference to the magic glow on her hands. She did seem more magical in Twilight Princess) to compensate for removing Sheik.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peach is revealed soon. Given her "Super Princess Peach" game and the fact that Zelda has been made brunette... a blond Peach seems like a reasonable expectation.

Actually, that description fits her in melee as well. She wasn't very mobile, but she had powerful and disrupting attacks. They weren't the easiest to hit with, but they did good damage when they did, often unexpectedly so since they're relatively quick and don't look strong.

And it's not just that zelda's too weak, it's that sheik was just such a popular character. If they remove sheik, they'd have to put in someone who plays similarly (which shouldn't be so hard to come up with in ye grand nintendo universe) to make up for it.

Here's a video comparing ss's of Melee with Brawl.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/84141.html

Nice link! Poly counts and texturing were night and day, as was the lighting. The most "night and day" characters were, imo:

Princess Zelda
Link
Donkey Kong: The Fur Shading in particular
Kid Icarus
Wario
Bowser
Samurai Goroh
Mario

You could definitely see a difference between Pikachu and Kirby in terms of lighting, but there's not too much poly or texture pushing going on with those two. Same with the Knight.

online play confirmed.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/809/809868p1.html

Sakurai revealed on SmashBros.com that you'll be able to mix it up through Wi-Fi with opponents around the world. You'll have two options for finding challengers – first, you'll be able to look for opponents among those players who you've registered as friends, with the "With Friends" option. This will necessitate entering in a 12-digit friend code from that person, similar to how Pokemon Battle Revolution and Mario Strikers Charged have handled friends lists. You'll be able to store up to 64 friends in this way.

Second, you'll be able to take on all comers, including strangers from around the globe, with the "With Anyone" option. You won't get any personal information about your opponents this way, so you won't know who it is you're playing. And no records of your wins, losses or anything else like that will be kept here – that means no online leaderboards or competing to be the best Smasher in the world. "With Anyone" seems to be geared solely for players who just want human intelligence controlling their opponents, rather than the Wii's AI. This will probably be disappointing to many, but it's definitely the more safe option.

And in keeping with that sense of safety, in-battle communication has been limited. You'll get absolutely no means of communicating with your opponents in "With Anyone" matches, and even with your friends you'll be limited to just simple text messages, keyed to your character's Taunt maneuver. This means a big thumbs-down to the idea of a headset and voice chat, barring some radical change in the next two and a half months. We've recently opined that this is a considerable oversight on Nintendo's part – time will tell how players will react to the exclusion.

But, to end on a brighter note, Sakurai finished up the big reveal with the confirmation of the return of a beloved character from Melee – the Sandbag. The big bag of beans with two sad eyes is back, and ready for more painful punishment. Whereas he starred in Home Run Mode in Melee, now he'll be put in place as a mini-game distraction for waiting players while each match loads. (He may, in fact, be back for Home Run Mode as well. That's a likely asssumption.) Also, interestingly, the bottom of the Sandbag screenshot shows that Player 3 is in the process of selecting the stage. This suggests that arena choice passes from player to player between matches, and stages won't be chosen randomly by the computer. It's possible that certain stages may be unselectable for play through Wi-Fi, though Sakurai's attitude seems to be ahead-of-time apologetic – that you can set up a match how you want, but that you may have to deal with slower connection times as a result.

too bad about voice chat though.

Really glad to hear about the online play, that could be massive. However, that is way to lacking in features. They really need to implement something as basic as stat tracking and leadership rankings. Those are so simply, so why they're not going to include them is beyond me.

Online multiplayer confirmed for Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html

Smash Bros. Dojo said:
But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.

The more distant you are, the worse your connection becomes, and the slower it feels. I apologize, but I hope you understand.

wi-fi01_070918a-l.jpg

wi-fi01_070918b-l.jpg

wi-fi01_070918d-l.jpg

wi-fi01_070918e-l.jpg

wi-fi01_070918f-l.jpg

Smash Bros. Dojo said:
We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy.

:/ I wish that Nintendo would release a headset so you wouldn't be limited to the short taunt text... and I find it interesting that he is already apologizing for the lag. Is it a weak network, or just an uncommon level of honesty?

:/ I wish that Nintendo would release a headset so you wouldn't be limited to the short taunt text... and I find it interesting that he is already apologizing for the lag. Is it a weak network, or just an uncommon level of honesty?

Please no headset, I dont want to be stuck having to mute everybody first because I got some idiot 12 year old constantly telling me how everybody smells like poo.

About the lagg, wouldnt that be caused by the distance? If I want to play against somebody in Japan and the server is in the middle in the USA wouldnt it be alot more likely that something between my/his house and the server is causing lagg than the actual server itself?

Really glad to hear about the online play, that could be massive. However, that is way to lacking in features. They really need to implement something as basic as stat tracking and leadership rankings. Those are so simply, so why they're not going to include them is beyond me.

Really disappointing considering how expansive the multiplayer and stat tracking options were in melee. They were perhaps only beat by hardcore online games like unreal tournament, and melee wasn't even online.

Snake!

^o^/ I anticipated this. The big Tokyo Game Show update!

snake.jpg

SuperSmashBros. Dojo said:
The legendary mercenary makes his miraculous Smash debut! This law-breaking news roared around the world.

He comes fully loaded with cool and showy weapons that only he could possess. Couple them with these different worlds, and it will clear a path to new horizons.

snake_070921b-l.jpg

snake_070921c-l.jpg

snake_070921d-l.jpg

snake_070921f-l.jpg

snake_070921g-l.jpg

Go to the page to see more pics and listen to the first MGS music:
http://www.smashbros.com/

Oh my god, you can make custom stages!

it's a actually a pretty complex feature. you can choose the music, level design, and even background of the stage and you can send it to people on your smash bros. friends list. you can even send it to a nintendo server and then the server will randomly send you a stage somebody else made. they explain all the parts to it a lot better at the link.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

various10_071029b-l.jpg

various10_071029c-l.jpg

various10_071029d-l.jpg

In my opinion, that is the biggest bombshell to date. Every day a different level to play. That would be incredible in a tourament. All of a sudden, players are dropped into an environment that they have had no time to prepare for. It will also keep the game feeling pretty fresh indefinitely.

In my opinion, that is the biggest bombshell to date. Every day a different level to play. That would be incredible in a tourament. All of a sudden, players are dropped into an environment that they have had no time to prepare for. It will also keep the game feeling pretty fresh indefinitely.

That would never fly in any real tournament, progamers don't like variations.

Most hardcore/professional smash bros players I know won't play on anything besides final destination and items are never used. If they won't use what's in the game already, there's no way they're going to use some random home made level.

Back