...More NEW Mass Effect screens

_phil_ said:
hmmm
not drunk enough to agree with you...

Guess you should have a sip of what IGN, Gamespot and everyone else were sipping when they gave their impressions of it.

But this is a Bioware rpg though..so nice visuals is just extra credit pretty much.

Seriously those character models are the best I've seen so far, and those few seconds of gamplay at the MS confrence really showed off how good it looked.

This is THE best looking game :O. And this is a RPG with galaxy exploration and destructable environments.

Wow! This is looking better with every new shot I see! Damn are those designs hot and the lighting/shading/rendering also looks awesome. Personally I find it visually more stunning than even GoW, easily one of the visually most impressive 360 titles anyway. Why isn't MS putting this in the spotlight more? With Bioware's reputation to back up the visuals, Mass Effect has "system seller" written all over it! :oops:

Dot50Cal said:
Can someone link me to some good looking screens? I really cant see whats so amazing from these ones linked now, Id go as far to say that the one here looks like DOOM 3 character models..

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/img_3593067.html

Well, I would really not go so far as to say that those are Doom3 character models, on the contrary they are far from that. And more generaly, look how nice the lighting is, mucg softer and with more variances than what you would expect from Doom3...

groper said:
hmmm
not drunk enough to agree with you...

I was almost prepared to do something like that but was to bored:smile: . Thanks for the effort, and man, when you do see them side by side like that, what a difference, talk about generational leap...

I was referring more to the polygons the guys head has. Obviously theres going to be better lighting and such but its just what I see. Another thing I noticed was everyone seems to be hairless, or shaven bald which reminded me a lot of D3. The lighting is about the only thing that impresses me, the thumbnails really dont show that though. Lots of the vegetation is just textures which really throws you out of the world. The lighting and model textures are the only saving grace imo. This is running on UE3 right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess people just care for different things when they judge how "good" a game looks. Technologically speaking the game is nothing special. They polycounts aren't through the roof and you can still see lowres textures sprawled around the screens. The design so far is consistently awesome though (IMO). How well developed the gameworld will be remains to be seen - so far the locations show some nice variety, nut don't appear as impressive as they could be. I really love the characters. I didn't even notice the polygon edges until you pointed them out, simply because the lighting, shading and texturing is very convincing and - IMO - creates some of the most lifelike seeming characters I've yet seen in a game. The overall impression I get from the screenshots is simply very positive, purely from a non-technical perspective.

Dot50Cal said:
I was referring more to the polygons the guys head has. Obviously theres going to be better lighting and such but its just what I see. Another thing I noticed was everyone seems to be hairless, or shaven bald which reminded me a lot of D3. The lighting is about the only thing that impresses me, the thumbnails really dont show that though. Lots of the vegetation is just textures which really throws you out of the world. The lighting and model textures are the only saving grace imo. This is running on UE3 right?

Yeah, that Mass Effect character's head is practically square... about the same as doom3 poly counts, and this is 2006!

btw, that was sarcasm.

I'm not nearly drunk enough to agree with you.

Just a little comparison to KOTOR on xbox:
8kiyo5.jpg

Aside from all the eyecandy, impressions have been very positive. I particularly like this one quote:

IGN said:
In a surprising twist, we were shown how Mass Effect's destructible environments could be used to defeat enemies. After approaching a group of enemies in the jungle, BioWare issued a few move commands, sending two teammates to opposite sides of the group. They then moves the controlled character directly at the group, firing at they went. Seeing themselves surrounded, the enemies backed up toward a bridge to take up positions and return fire. BioWare then made the controlled character toss out a tiny grenade, which resembled an energy Frisbee as it cut through the air. Instead of detonating the enemies' feet, the grenade flew behind them, striking the center of a bridge support. The ensuing explosion crumbled the support, sending jagged shards of rock tumbling down, crushing the group of enemies and ending the fight. With these kinds of strategic options built into the game, it certainly seems like Mass Effect could offer up particularly unique, engaging battles.

Cool.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707270p1.html

Here's a hands-on preview:

Combat is where Mass Effect really got interesting. The game will feature light melee elements, but most arsenals will be consist of high-energy, futuristic weapons. BioWare loaded up a jungle area to show off a battle. The scenario was populated with towering sheer rock structures, ringed with dark green vines. On the ground a heavy mist hung, shrouding the metallic walls of structures built into the rock faces. Before any fighting began, we were shown how each character's in-game appearance was entirely dependent on the gear they wore. No characters in Mass Effect have a stock armor appearance. If you equip a huge, hulking helmet, it'll show up in real time. Same thing with weapons, which appear strapped to characters' backs and legs. This allows for a huge variety of character appearances, reinforcing the game's already impressive customization options.

Moving through a ravine between two large stones, the three man team came upon a lone mechanical enemy standing amidst swirls of fog. Instead of bringing up an attack menu to issue commands, the main character simply zoomed in his rifle. From the third-person over the shoulder perspective, he blasted a few energy bolts the bot's way, crumbling it to the ground. This introduces a significant action element into Mass Effect, as you actually have to aim at the enemy to hit them. Once you're aiming at them, which is aided by a soft lock-on when you get your reticule close, character statistics take over. Some things considered in whether or a properly aimed gun will make contact with its projectiles are your own statistics, how many mods you've applied to your weapon, and how specialized you are with that type of gun.

Every one of your three person team is fully controllable and can be switched to at any time, moved around, and used to attack. When not in directly in control of squadmates, they'll operate on their own, trying to take down enemies with whatever abilities are most appropriate. The option also exists to issue tactical commands to your team. To set up a tactical assault on an enemy position, the game can be pause and individual move orders can be issued to each teammate. Move locations can be used in conjunction with target and attack orders, meaning you need only pause the game once to tell your squad to move and then start attacking. In addition to the guns, BioWare showed off a dark energy attack, one of the game's many magical options. Though the energy abilities can be used for a wide range of purposes, this particular one was entirely offensive; a magical blast of purplish rippling energy that shot forth from a character's arms to explode when it impacted. We also got to see the effects of an incendiary round. When aimed and fired, the blast set an enemy ablaze, and sent him tumbling off the bridge he was patrolling.

In a surprising twist, we were shown how Mass Effect's destructible environments could be used to defeat enemies. After approaching a group of enemies in the jungle, BioWare issued a few move commands, sending two teammates to opposite sides of the group. They then moves the controlled character directly at the group, firing at they went. Seeing themselves surrounded, the enemies backed up toward a bridge to take up positions and return fire. BioWare then made the controlled character toss out a tiny grenade, which resembled an energy Frisbee as it cut through the air. Instead of detonating the enemies' feet, the grenade flew behind them, striking the center of a bridge support. The ensuing explosion crumbled the support, sending jagged shards of rock tumbling down, crushing the group of enemies and ending the fight. With these kinds of strategic options built into the game, it certainly seems like Mass Effect could offer up particularly unique, engaging battles.

As you defeat enemies, discover new areas, and complete quests you'll gain experience, after which you can level up, as well as achieve higher military ranks. Leveling up will allow you to augment a variety of skills. Some examples include stability of your aiming reticule and accuracy of your shots, as well as options for conversation. In this way, each character can be built up with highly specialized skill sets that can be further enhanced with the armor pieces and weapons you choose to equip.

As mentioned in previous write-ups, Mass Effect lets you take your party anywhere in the galaxy, which is easily accomplished with a user friendly map system. From the galaxy view you can zoom into clusters, solar systems, check planet statistics, and immediately drop onto surfaces with your six-wheeled exploration vehicle. This land rover can be customized as well, including several weapon options for clearing out foes on the surface. When asked, BioWare said there were no plans at the moment to include ship to ship space battles as well.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707270p2.html

Back