LightGun for Wii Pic

Anvil

Newcomer
IGN has posted a pic of the new Light Gun for the Wii, obviously for the new Duck Hunt game, but I can also see the gun being used rather than the wii-mote standard in FPS games where a gun is actually the weapon of choice (that should go over well with Mother's that do not like their kids to play with toy guns ;) )

e3-2006-light-gun-shell-revealed-20060510113939213.jpg

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707077p1.html

Anvil said:
IGN has posted a pic of the new Light Gun for the Wii, obviously for the new Duck Hunt game, but I can also see the gun being used rather than the wii-mote standard in FPS games where a gun is actually the weapon of choice (that should go over well with Mother's that do not like their kids to play with toy guns ;) )
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707077p1.html

That looks really cool. Although the setup kills some degrees of freedom as the 2 accelerometers are stuck together.

hupfinsgack said:
That looks really cool. Although the setup kills some degrees of freedom as the 2 accelerometers are stuck together.

You mean the main controller and the nunchuck? They aren't actually stuck together, they detatch, the gun shell connects to the same port that the nunchuck uses.

BTW Anvil, that pics is the IGN mockup made last year, this is the actual gun shell:

e3-2006-light-gun-shell-revealed-20060510113630447-000.jpg

More basic, but it does look much liter and cheaper to make. Hopefully this could be sold for around £10 or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
BTW Anvil, that pics is the IGN mockup made last year,

Thanks Teasy :) Still it looks pretty cool. Looking forward to the first post on FARK where someone tries to hold up a convience store with one ;)

Teasy said:
You mean the main controller and the nunchuck? They aren't actually stuck together, they detatch, the gun shell connects to the same port that the nunchuck uses.

Well, that doesn't matter it still kills degrees of freedom. :p

Now THAT is cool! :smile: I enjoyed playing Dead Aim a lot, so it'll be interesting what they can pull off with all sorts of game attachments.

Teasy said:

BTW Anvil, that pics is the IGN mockup made last year, this is the actual gun shell:

e3-2006-light-gun-shell-revealed-20060510113630447-000.jpg

More basic, but it does look much liter and cheaper to make. Hopefully this could be sold for around £10 or less.

I think he is pointing out that you lose degrees of freedom because the shell REPLACES the nunchuck... unless of course you can STILL connect the nunchuck (via daisy chain for eg.).

On a related note, after watching some MP:3 gameplay videos, I'm worried that the move-pointer-to-edge-of-screen turning method will be frustrating and/or problematic. This basically precludes the possiblity of turning while shooting because your pointer will be offscreen. More importantly, if you need to zero in on a particular heading, you may have to swing back and forth a few times (as opposed to slightly moving your thumb on a stick). Initially, when I saw the analog stick on the gun shell, I thought that you could STILL connect the nunchuck, which would allow the use of the additional stick on the gun for turning. Think about it... its the dual-analog move/look setup that everyone is familar with, BUT with precision laser pointer aiming decoupled from look. If this is not the case, I wonder about the possibility of using the tilt sensor on the nunchuck for turning instead. That seems problematic as well since your left wrist is going to get tired trying to hold the nunchuck in a fixed position when NOT turning.

hupfinsgack said:
Well, that doesn't matter it still kills degrees of freedom. :p

You mean only one motion sensor instead of two? I wouldn't worry about it, its mainly an alternative for light gun style games after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back