Wii able to Browse the Web

pc999 said:
Nice, how will we tipe the site? Voice recg?

Voice Recognition? Probably use the pointer which would still be far better than a standard controller.

Inane_Dork said:
Yep. Why bother? Browsing the internet at 480p is less useful than adding a cupholder.

Although it has to be noted that many improvements have been made on adapting rendering to a smaller screen (PocketIE, NetFront 3.3, Opera Mobile, even the PSP browser). So perhaps it could be done. Even though I have a VGA PDA,I generally don't browse using it, except under emergency (in-meeting Google can be a career-saver).

Still need to type in web addresses.

Anyway, maybe they'd enable higher reses just for the browser, but probably not. Strange that they're the first system since dreamcast to officially support web browsing, I think it's really something that appeals more to the developing and Asian markets though.

Grall said:
Typing address: USB ports -> keyboard...

I'm sure they'll support a keyboard but as the browser comes with the Wii by default, there will be a need to input a URL via some other method that works with default controls.

Grall said:
Screen res: graphics scaling.

Downscaling will help with images but text? What about webpages that are built for 1024 resolutions?

Some people are forgetting basic html code: The pixels/font-size ratio does not have to be the same as the pixel/font size ratio used on SD (16:9 I might have to add). I think it will look well.

As for images, scaling helps. And websites built on 1024 resolutions will look like it's bottom is a bit chopped off, but it's nothing that a little scrolling will help resolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
What stops them from using higher resolution for web browsing only? Sure the Wii hasn't enough power for HD gaming, but it should suffice for high resolution browsing, shouldn't it?

sfried said:
Some people are forgetting basic html code: The pixels/font-size ratio does not have to be the same as the pixel/font size ratio used on SD (16:9 I might have to add). I think it will look well.

So transparently most webpages will be fine right out of the box? And what if you have an SDTV? What then?

And if the web pages you visit aren't meant for 16:9, what does that get you?

sfried said:
As for images, scaling helps. And websites built on 1024 resolutions will look like it's bottom is a bit chopped off, but it's nothing that a little scrolling will help resolve.

If it's just scrolling vertically, I don't think that's an issue. Scrolling horizontally is a major pain though.

hupfinsgack said:
What stops them from using higher resolution for web browsing only? Sure the Wii hasn't enough power for HD gaming, but it should suffice for high resolution browsing, shouldn't it?

That could be true and thus would mitigate any concern I had other than it being displayed on an SD TV set in the first place.

So if the Wii can run at least 1024 AND you already have a decent HDTV, then it's going to be great.

hupfinsgack said:

Pretty much what i thought. We know games will be SD but for 2d apps like web browsing, i dont see why it shouldnt be possible at a higher res.

Type_Raver said:
Pretty much what i thought. We know games will be SD but for 2d apps like web browsing, i dont see why it shouldnt be possible at a higher res.
Are there component/DVI/HDMI outputs on it?

Back