Naughty Dog's New IP (Pics)

scooby_dooby said:
Seems like developers can never win, either it's too 'futuristic' or it's too 'generic' or some other lame excuse to hate on a game.
Very true, even though I think I used the "Yes, exactly what we need, another futuristic FPS" line myself more than once ;)

Strangely, even though I'm the first to appreciate a non-bald main character and a Pitfall-like setting, something disturbed me as well when I first saw the trailer during the Sony conference. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was except that it was clearly graphics-related, but I can certainly sympathize with the feeling. I don't believe it is the "uncanny valley" principle, as the overall look of the game is not nearly that realistic. Can anyone identify the strangeness of this game's graphics?

Oh, and rounin, I LOL'd ;)

PeterT said:
Very true, even though I think I used the "Yes, exactly what we need, another futuristic FPS" line myself more than once ;)

Strangely, even though I'm the first to appreciate a non-bald main character and a Pitfall-like setting, something disturbed me as well when I first saw the trailer during the Sony conference. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was except that it was clearly graphics-related, but I can certainly sympathize with the feeling. I don't believe it is the "uncanny valley" principle, as the overall look of the game is not nearly that realistic. Can anyone identify the strangeness of this game's graphics?

I've seen a few people say this on the internet. I think it's the animation that most people find different and distribing. We've never seen animation look like that ever in 3D games until now.

PeterT said:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/img_3634964.html

When looking at this I noticed a lack of shadows, which was odd cause the other shots had them. I felt the lighting wasn't as natural looking. It seemed that everything was illuminated equally, not as dynamic as previous games seen like Gears of War. but it could be just the fast pace of the trailer fooling my eye. I'm sure there are dynamic shadows and such.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/8...g_3634964.html
When looking at this I noticed a lack of shadows, which was odd cause the other shots had them. I felt the lighting wasn't as natural looking. I felt the lighting wasn't as natural looking. It seemed that everything was illuminated equally, not as dynamic as previous games seen like Gears of War. but it could be just the fast pace of the trailer fooling my eye. I'm sure there are dynamic shadows and such
theres definitly correct dynamic shadows in the video (both from the sun + point lights). look out your window (during day light + a cloudy day) notice things eg trees dont really have a high contrast, which this game seems to emulate personally i dont like the style, i luv cg when its over the top with everything larger than life. gears of war seems to be set a lot in darkened places thus lights/shadows are gonna be far more apparent.
im scratching my head why ppl were bitching about killzone2 being not achivable + here we have footage at least as good

edit - btw dont judge gears of war by a lot of the screenshots floating around on the web, the majority arent actual ingame screenshots. the ingame stuff is much lower quality. perhaps its the same with this naughty dog video we've seen, im still not 100% its actual ingame stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
This is at least as good as KZ2?
the only amazing thing with the kz2 trailer that would be hard to do on the console, would be the sheer scale of the place, eg theyre flying down + they land in this highly detailed part of the city. now for the whole city to be as detailed as that, would be to much of an ask (the only way i see the ability of pulling it off, oh er!. is not being.able to decide where u land, or compressed algorithmical generated geometry in gametime)

It seemed that everything was illuminated equally, not as dynamic as previous games seen like Gears of War
btw downloaded + looked at a more recent gow video, there was no dynamic lights apart from a single directional light (unlike in this naughty dog video) + even that was selective ie it seemed to only cast shadows from selected things eg players. i believe the marketting of gow haved pulled a kz2, keeping quiet about the released footage is not actual gameplay footage ie prerendered. in saying that gow looks like a more fun game to play than the naughty dog game. (for me at least)
also one thing with gow, i noticed its a third person camera, yet u aim + shoot via a first person view, now this works if the thing youre firing travels fast eg a bullet, but for slower moving weapons eg a rocket launcher that leaves a smoke trail, so its apparent from where the missile came from, its gonna look visually incorrect, how on earth have they managed to solve this problem? has anyone played it?

the only amazing thing with the kz2 trailer that would be hard to do on the console, would be the sheer scale of the place, eg theyre flying down + they land in this highly detailed part of the city. now for the whole city to be as detailed as that, would be to much of an ask (the only way i see the ability of pulling it off, oh er!. is not being.able to decide where u land, or compressed algorithmical generated geometry in gametime)

Everything about KZ2 CG trailer destroys this. It's not even funny. The lighting in this game is so strange too. It looks like the whole game is lit by a freakin array of 1 Megawatt spotlights...ugh. I'm suprised the characters in the game don't look like red lobsters.

NANOTEC said:
Everything about KZ2 CG trailer destroys this. It's not even funny. The lighting in this game is so strange too. It looks like the whole game is lit by a freakin array of 1 Megawatt spotlights...ugh. I'm suprised the characters in the game don't look like red lobsters.
youve mentioned the lighting/shading before thats easily altered (depending on the viewer taste)
anyways naughtydog vs killzone2
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zzeek/naughty-dog-ps3-project-unt.jpg
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_3318612.html

NANOTEC said:

Red lobsters? You do know that in-game characters don't actually tan, and can't really get burned by light, cause they're not real, right?

london-boy said:
Red lobsters? You do know that in-game characters don't actually tan, and can't really get burned by light, cause they're not real, right?

What, not even with the power of Cell and an HDR display?

london-boy said:

That was the sound of Nanotec's sarcasm whoosing right over your head.

NANOTEC said:
Oh so now we have to change the contrast, brightness settings and color settings for each individual game now?
Well it indicates that what you dislike about the game's appearance is not lighting/shading but rather simple artist color direction.

And filter for all those three components is so trivial even PS2 can do it almost for free, so NDD game could look like that shot, right now, without affecting how it runs in any way.

drpepper said:
I'm sure there are dynamic shadows and such.
Actually shadows are one thing that made me suspicious about the trailer(when seeing it in HD) - they are far better quality in terms of shadow resolution/aliasing then anything currently using shadowmaps that I've seen before and at E3, regardless of the platform.
I'll wait and see until I'm fully convinced about this trailer being realtime.

sonyps35 said:
That was the sound of Nanotec's sarcasm whoosing right over your head.

I think lb knows I was being sarcastic hence his sarcastic followup.:smile:

Anyway it's rediculous that some actually think this is up to par with KZ2. Look at the enemies for crying out loud, bad skin textures probably from those hot spotlights.

Fafalada said:
I'll wait and see until I'm fully convinced about this trailer being realtime.

There is this recent interview at IGN: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/710/710266p1.html

IGN: Definitely. Of course, we think that the most important question that a lot of people have right now is "how much of that footage was CG and how much was real-time?"

Wells: The entire trailer was rendered in real-time using our PS3 game engine. All of the models, textures, shaders and effects are in-game.

Back