Forza Motorsports 2 60fps, 4xAA, HDR, MB

I know llike 3 guys who are primed to buy a 360 the second Forza drops. I can't wait either, I absolutely loved this game and the next-gen version will be ridiculous. A 2006 release is the best I could've hoped for, but if they need to push it back to 07, I'll understand. Just do it right.

Again, it was a surprise that we were taken behind closed doors and instead of a fancy plasma TV with Forza 2 running we found Greenwalt sitting by himself. He did give us a ton of new details on his game and said it would have set his team back about a month to get together a demo or in-game trailer of Forza 2 for E3. Greenwalt doesn't care much about conventions though -- he's aiming for a holiday release. We'll keep you posted on Forza 2 as we get more information about new cars, tracks, online modes and the official IGN bumper sticker as it develops.

At least he has his priorities straight :D

mini-FAQ is up for this game

sounds like they want this to be a (the) premiere customizable racing game.

http://forzamotorsport.net/051106-02.htm

Q: I hear Forza Motorsport 2 is 60 frames per second this time. Is this true?
A: Yes. The game will play and control at 60fps. Just like in Forza Motorsport, our physics system under the hood will still run at 180fps (or more). Additionally, reflection mapping on the cars will also glide along at a brisk 60fps. Don't worry, graphics whores -- we've got you covered.

Q: Why wasn't Forza Motorsport 2 on the show floor at E3? Does this mean the game sucks?
A: The reason Forza Motorsport 2 wasn't on the show floor is pretty simple. Coming from the press side, I kind of took for granted that showing your game at E3 was a no-brainer. Sitting on the other side of the fence, however, I see an entirely different story. E3 is incredibly disruptive to the development schedule. If you're going to show off a polished demo of your game (i.e., not incur the wrath of editors and ******s), then you're going to spend a month polishing one very isolated area of the game while everything else falls to the wayside. The video that we showed is using real in-game assets (i.e., the cars and the track are all in-game models), and the look of the video is attainable. The game will look better than PGR3 and then some. Why? Because it isn't simply Forza HD. We're not using the old Forza 1 engine. A new platform, a new engine. Things need to be built from the ground-up. There's a lot of work involved, and showing the game now simply wouldn't do us any favors. What was effective, however, was the E3 video we showed. People were coming up to me out of the woodwork telling me about the emotional response the video got out of them. Mission accomplished on that front. We announced the game, gave folks a taste of the ol' car lust, all without taxing our very busy development schedule. Anyway, with that, I really hope you folks can understand (and forgive) why Forza 2 wasn't shown in playable form on the show floor....

cnt'd

Wow... What is that? Like the third developer who talked about how showcasing games at E3 screws up the deadlines?

If there would be a theme from E3 that would appear to be it so far. That making playable demo's of games for the E3 floor is a waste of a couple of months of the development cycle.

scooby_dooby said:
straight from our man Che, good stuff.

Oh so that's where he went, I have been wondering what game he is working on...
1up show hasn't been the same since he left so it's good to know he's involved in something good :)

I think it depends on the development stage of the game. If you want people to see what you think will be the endresult of your game then yes it's time consuming.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
So its not real time then??? And as for the graphics, it'll be output as 720p but will it be rendered at 720p?

One 360(Launch game at that) game comes out in slightly less that 720p and all of a sudden everyone questions every game comming out. Well it must be less than 720p if it's using HDR, 4X AA 60fps right?

RobertR1 said:
If Forza 2 delivers what we expect and comes out before the Holidays this year, it might be the game to get.

Interesting point. It would seem to be that the game should be nearing the buttoning up point now that we are basically at summer... when's the release date?

I just cant see this shipping 2006 with nothing at E3 but a CGI trailer. Even if it does, i dont see how they can realize the scope they have in mind here in a polished package.

That said, Forza with the new wireless wheel would make a nice gift this holiday season. :)

PGR3 no showed last years E3 as well and it made the launch. If they were being honest about not doing a demo because of the time involved it could be that project is on a tight schedule but on pace for a fall release. Or it could all be hype.

Acert93 said:
PGR3 no showed last years E3 as well and it made the launch. If they were being honest about not doing a demo because of the time involved it could be that project is on a tight schedule but on pace for a fall release. Or it could all be hype.

That's true but we haven't even seen an in-game *screenshot* from it yet. Maybe theyre waiting for a proper unveiling at TGS, E3 had plenty for MS to promote without this drawing unnecessary attention.

expletive said:
That's true but we haven't even seen an in-game *screenshot* from it yet. Maybe theyre waiting for a proper unveiling at TGS, E3 had plenty for MS to promote without this drawing unnecessary attention.

Good points. I can see why they don't like to 'waste time' with a demo, but no screenshots seems strange indeed.

Maybe they're saving it for the official mag or something.

Forza doesn't need any hype. It's a must have title for racing fans and they're aware of that. Still, closer to launch you'll hear a lot about it. MS had a strong enough showing at E3 that having the Forza team take time away from production for a demo was not necessary.

Forza was released on Xbox almost exactly a year ago, I can't see Forza 2 with a completely new engine for 360 being released this year.

Forza

RobertR1 said:
Forza doesn't need any hype. It's a must have title for racing fans and they're aware of that. Still, closer to launch you'll hear a lot about it. MS had a strong enough showing at E3 that having the Forza team take time away from production for a demo was not necessary.

I hope Forza 2 has better physics because Xbox360 has very powerful physics processor. Forza 1 physics is not so good.

Forza 1 physics is not so good.

Huh? In what aspects did you find it lacking? Forza had one of the most comprehensive physics simulations of any racing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back