What exclusive games "sell" you the console?

Xbox 360 = Fable 2, Mass Effect, Too Human, Oblivion.

Wii = Zelda, metroid.

PC = Spore.

PS3 = Used to be MGS4, Final Fantasy and GT but i'm not fond of these franchises any more. I can replace MGS with SC and Final Fantasy with Western RPG's and GT with Forza. Maybe God of War.

Only system seller for me so far is Test Drive unlimited. And thats assuming it lives up to the hype. Bioshock could well be another.

PS3 : Gran Turismo, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, FFXIII, etc. Lots of RPGs

X360 : Apart from Gears of War, their press conference was pretty boring. Nothing much here

Wii : The system itself.

I'll probably buy all of them this time around, I never ended up buying an XBox.

PS3: Japanese RPG's, GT5 (although I'm getting burned out on this franchise)
Wii: Mario, Zelda etc.
X360: Dunno - I'll buy one, would have bought one for Oblivion but couldn't find one and I finished it on PC. Lot's of things are vaguely interesting.

I traditionally have been a PC/Nintendo gamer. PC for online, KB/MS, and high def display and Nintendo for all their nice family oriented "fun" games. As much as I like the Wii Wand, I am not too sold on the Wii console.

For me it is more about features + 5-10 games during the lifetime I will like. I don't buy a ton of games, and I like online games with a lot of replay. So far it is coming down to * Online * KB/MS * VGA Support and * Games.

* Online: MS has Live | Sony has a competing service coming | Ditto Nintendo
* KB/MS: MS is a no here | Sony may allow it, but no games confirm yet | Wii Wand!
* VGA Supprt: MS Yes, but no 1280x1024 LCD letter box | ? | 480p (? Has this changed?)
* Games...

As a PC gamer a lot of the PC titles I like have migrated to the 360 and with XNA coming in the future this could become even more standard. Sony is a little light on the FPS for my taste, but but have a lot fuller selection in othe areas. MS so far has had superior online titles, but Sony could change this. Nintendo... I will wait and see how their third party support it and how the games come out.

Ideally I could get Half-Life, Halo, Zelda, Mario, GT, and Forza all on one box. All of them are too expensive (I am still gagging on $600!). I am gonna wait until the 65nm chips hit and the price drops. From there it will be about how they fill my specific gaming needs in conjunction with price.

For me it really comes down to online games I guess, although my thumbs (repetive use injury) really hate gamepads! Whoever has the best online games for my taste will be what I get. But I wont be buying until 2007 at the earliest.

Oddly, no game franchise is a must buy for me. Battlefield was, but is no longer. Mario Kart would be right behind that. Then football (which means Madden now). In a nutshell

FPS... online
Racing... online
Sports... online

--PS3

MGS4
VF5
Lair
FF13
Warhawk
Tekken 6 (if they get it up to their usual standards)
Gran Turismo

Any of these would be worth buying the console for, and there are the unannounced GoW and Team ICO projects too. Heavenly Sword would be on the list too, but i don't like the character modeling, all the heads look out of proportion/weird. I hope they fix this since everything else looks great.

--xbox360

I'll probably get a used xbox 360 for playing Ninja Gaiden2. Nothing else on this console interests me.

--Wii

None

Rev:
Smash Bros rev -- that's all I need.

PS3:
MGS4 -- this alone justifies it for me
FFXIII
Heavenly Sword
DMC4
etc

X360:
have one already, but whatever comes along that interests me...
Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey could be gems in the making.

I'm attracted to certain genres, repelled by others.

Mostly a sports gamer but that's a draw since most sports titles are multiplatform. A lot of people like the PS2 baseball game MLB so that would be an exclusive for Sony.

For online, not having to pay a subscription is a big deal to me.

I like the third-person action games like God of War so there should definitely be a sequel on the PS3. HS seems like a similar type of game and you also will have DMC and probably Onimusha (I believe Capcom kept it exclusive to Sony). Lair also seems like that kind of game too. And of course, you figure the Ico/Shadow of Colussus will do a PS3 game -- hopefully he doesn't take 4 years between his games again.

On the X360, the pay to play online is a big obstacle to overcome. Saw Too Human demoed. Seems like that could have possibilities. Mass Effect also sounds interesting and Saints Row sounds like an exclusive as well. The big guns, Halo and Gears of War, do nothing for me.

On the Wii, will have to try the wand out for myself to see how responsive it seems. If gestures simply replace button presses, I don't know how long the novelty will last. The lack of state-of-the-art graphics is hard to overlook. Maybe some kind of addictive puzzle game using the wand would do it.

However, I don't anticipate getting more than one console and right now, PS3 looks to be it (Blu-Ray has to be a draw for anyone with an HDTV).

How about the Resident Evil series... granted it doesn't have the same clout as it did before... but i think there are enough fans of the series to merit it being a deciding factor :)

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy. These are the two series that would make me jump to the console these games are on. Anything else is really just a bonus.

Nothing on Xbox360 that really interests me. Gears of War looks good, so do other games, but they just don't excite me as much and are no reason for me to support Xbox360 at the moment.

Halo 3, PS5, and Gears of War on Xbox 360 have enticed me enough in order to get one and keep it for a while.

FFXIII on PS3 will definitely get me to buy one further down the road when the game comes out. When is the game scheduled to come out anyway? Not too interestedin MGS4 as I was never interested in the three before them, but the graphcis sure are gorgeous.

PS3:
Blu-ray ;)
Final Fantasy XIII- (the original FF numbered series, the spinofss are something else)
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Ratchet and Clank, or losing the developers
Naughty Dog and whatever they're bringing (new J&D?)
The promise of quality Level 5 and SE rpg's

other games like GTA, Silent Hill have been multiplatform anyway, but were they completely lost for PS3 i'd consider switching sides.

xbos360:
Can't say as the lineup hasn't been able to seduce me there yet.

Wii:
The "wiimote", but I've become undecided if it'll be unique enough after the PS3 gyro controller.

Still, even if all the franchises were lost on my current console of choice, I'm not sure I'd switch to another overnight. There'd sure be other, new franchises being created inside the same genres unless the platform lost all support and popularity at the same time all those franchises were lost (unlikely scenario). So if Final Fantasies were lost, there might arise a new geme series that could be as good as or better than FF.
It'd mainly be a loss of a name and possibly familiar mascots.
And there's evidence when a game or developer has been "lost" to anoter platform, it can lose more than just the key devs in the process...

Depending on how well GT5 is received I'll splash on a PS3 for that, HS and FF13. I've owned two PSXs and two PS2s in my time, each time for a GT game. Love the series, wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't play the 5th if it's any good, but I'm struggling to reconcile the games I'd buy with the cost of the thing on launch.

Already got a 360 and Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo 3 (although I'm not enjoying Halo 2 right now, playing it for the first time ever on my 360), Fable 2, Forza 2, MotoGP and some of the Live Arcade lineup are what stand out for me at E3. Very strong showing from Microsoft this year, IMO.

The Wii is disappointing. I'm on board with the Wiimote concept, the price of the thing and Nintendo still make a game like no other, but for longevity's sake over the next 5 years, the thing needs more gogo juice under the hood.

london-boy said:
At the moment i'm a bit annoyed actually. I am practically forced to buy PS3 because the games i want to play are there and most probably exclusives, but i feel i'm being royally ripped off. If FF, KH, and some first party games were to magically work on X360, i'd be happy. At the moment, MS still releases games that never interested me on the Xbox, and they don't interest me now.

If X360 had the games i want to play, i'd buy one with my eyes closed.

Shame, real shame. Especially for my finances...

Exact same situation for me. The 360 does not appeal to me at all.

The PS3 price just floored me and I'm quite half-hearted now about actually getting one. There is no way I'm paying £400 for a console at launch but HS is tempting. Part of me wants to boycott the thing because of the price, it really is scandalous IMO.

I got to think about financing my Masters too so I can't go throwing away cash with total abandon, I know a lot of uni students will be seriously put-off by the pricing. However I know that the day FFXIII/MGS4 are released price will be no object such is the level of anticipation for those games…and this leads me to question my sanity at times.

Gosh, muuch to chose from but would it really convert me to buy the console for the game/s? Im just going to list what i know ill get for sure, and drop everything else off (even if im 99%)

I'll try and break it down like most of you above have:

Wii:
* Zelda: TP (Although im still considering getting the GC version if theres absolutely no differences between them besides control)
* Super Mario Galaxy, yes im a Mario fan

PS3:
* Gran Turismo (just hope its much more than GT4 @ 1080P)

XBOX360:
* Lots of high percentage games but not system sellers for my liking.

DS Lite:
* Yoshis Island 2
* Diddy kong racing
* Zelda: PH
* New Super Mario Bros.

So yeah, im a Nintendo fan :oops: :D

I've been attempting to answer this question, not just to myself but to others, and having some difficulty defining my responses. I would have skipped the last generation entirely were it not for the Xbox. Answering why isn't that easy. Here's a quick list:

Must have:
Soft: Halo 3, Mass Effect, Knight's of the Old Republic
Hard: Wireless controls, hdd, online content-ease of use is huge here

Interesting:
Soft: Lair, Zelda, MGS4, Tom Clancy Games, maybe a sports game, maybe a racing game
Hard: Wireless Net, Nintendo Controller

Couldn't Care Less:
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray - not ready to replace or pay any more for movies, and I'm a buff
Size, Weight, Power Consumption, Heat, etc, etc
Mech games, Toony Titles (Mario, Pinata, Pokemon, etc), most RPG's

Obivously I will be buying a 360. I will probably, eventually, get a Wii. The PS3 I may skip entirely. The price is too high for my interset at this point, and likely to remain that way for quite some time.

To us UK residents it doesn't really change much from usual Sony pricings. I paid £350 for my PS2, not even at launch, so £400 now for a 60GB PS3 doesn't sound too much. Still, when i look at how much cheaper the competition is, it does bug me. At least they're not doing the 1 US$ = 1 UK£ stunt this time... £400 is $744 today though, pretty big difference (20% in fact). Then again, we've been subsidising for the US cheaper prices for decades now, not surprised.

Why can't MS just buy all games companies in the world and get all the games on X360?! How hard can it be! That would save me a good 200 quid or more on the hardware... (i'm joking..)

london-boy said:
To us UK residents it doesn't really change much from usual Sony pricings. I paid £350 for my PS2, not even at launch, so £400 now for a 60GB PS3 doesn't sound too much. Still, when i look at how much cheaper the competition is, it does bug me. At least they're not doing the 1 US$ = 1 UK£ stunt this time... £400 is $744 today though, pretty big difference (20% in fact). Then again, we've been subsidising for the US cheaper prices for decades now, not surprised.

Why can't MS just buy all games companies in the world and get all the games on X360?! How hard can it be! That would save me a good 200 quid or more on the hardware... (i'm joking..)

I got my PS2 for £300 in 2001, I can't really justify anything over that to be honest, £350 is pushing it but I don't want the crippled version.

---------

Gears of War, Lost Planet (anyone who has this demo knows its incredible), Mass Effect (anything Bioware), Too Human, Forza, Halo 3, Team Ninjas stuff, Huxley, Fable 2, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddessy, etc..

PS3:
--------
Metal Gear 4, Final Fantasy XIII and Team Icos game(s).

In my opinion..almost nothing NEW on the ps3 grabbed my interest at all..alot of 'obvious' and derivative stuff for it was shown at their conference..(thats not me trying to bring it down..even OPM mentions this in their podcast regarding the ps3). Nothing seemed 'fresh' to me at ALL.
::shrug::

Back