Quantic Dream to present 'Heavy Rain' on PS3 at E3

Cool stuff. Nice to see this type of animation being implemented into next generation games.

zed said:
wouldnt surprise me, in fact i wonder why this + similar genres hasnt been done more with consoles, it has the potential to be far larger than GTA

no. it'll be more an 'interactive drama' a mix between game and movie ,like Indigo prophecy was...

Titanio said:
“At Quantic Dream, we believe that emotion will be a key component of Next Gen games and we are heavily investing in technologies to create Virtual Actors since several years. By expanding the range of emotions video games have to offer, they will be able to reach a far wider audience. "
<snip>
HEAVY RAINâ„¢ is a new video game franchise, designed for next generation consoles and PC systems, based on emotional immersion and innovative game play mechanics.
Just to put the nuts and bolts of the physics and post-processing aside for a moment, look at what those elements combined actually deliver as an experience on an emotional level.

There's a certain level of suspension of belief when the character first walks into the room.
We are given a monologue but if the engine can get interactive character AI to a similar level, then truly there will some people out there having relationships with their hardware generated virtual humans.

I also think a lot more girls and women will be drawn to the console and pc based entertainment space with franchises such as these because of the potential emotional interactivity on offer and as a whole providing that much needed human element to console and pc entertainment in general.

Goodbye next-gen gaming, hello virtual recreation in all its glory.

Duck Dodgers said:
Just to put the nuts and bolts of the physics and post-processing aside for a moment, look at what those elements combined actually deliver as an experience on an emotional level.

There's a certain level of suspension of belief when the character first walks into the room.
We are given a monologue but if the engine can get interactive character AI to a similar level, then truly there will some people out there having relationships with their hardware generated virtual humans.

I also think a lot more girls and women will be drawn to the console and pc based entertainment space with franchises such as these because of the potential emotional interactivity on offer and as a whole providing that much needed human element to console and pc entertainment in general.

Goodbye next-gen gaming, hello virtual recreation in all its glory.
Hell yea, and imagine if your virtual date, after months of dating goes crazy and draws a gun on you! He (she) could even have evidence on you cheating him if you had the EyeToy camera attached on PS3 :D

Just saw the 720p video and she looks very very freaky, especially in the "audition" bits with very "clinical" lighting, it really shows all the shortcomings in her model. When set in a darker light with higher contrast, it looks much much better.
The problem is that she's the focus of our attention, therefore naturally we'll pick up flaws in her rendering much quicker than the background, which looks very nice.

Very nice premise though, even though i'm not exaclty sure what the premise really is.

london-boy said:
That joke went horribly wrong... Shifty, read phil's post again, and most importantly, read mckmas's post before it...
Ah..._phil_ was yanking someone's chain ;) Yes, I was suckered. Slow day yesterday. First of the warm sunshine; that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it :mrgreen:

I've seen just about every video from E3, and I have to say, this one impresses me the most. Sure it's not gameplay, but it shows you the direction they are taking, and I like it. I just hope it's more dynamic story wise then Fahrenheit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the rendering was impressive, but the girl model's face was kind of ugly (on purpose?) Her teeth were all wrong, like an ugly version of Nancy Kerrigan's horse teeth. Then, the interior of her mouth wasn't shadowed properly. Too bright.

Finally, the girls lip-syncing was no where near as realistic as it needed to be. If I looked at her mouth when she was speaking, it looked goofy, like a dubbed Chinese kung fu movie.

Of course, once the stage changed to the "kitchen" and the emotion elements game into play, I started to habituate and ignore the flaw, much like when you first watch a dubbed movie, it's goofy, but halfway through, you are used to it.

IGN Interview

GN: There has been a lot of speculation since E3 that Heavy Rain will go "PS3 only" because of where it was shown. Any truth to that or can we expect to see it on multiple systems?

Fondaumière: We hear and read a lot of things lately on Heavy Rain. All I can say is: not everything is true and nothing is written in stone as we speak. For now, Quantic Dream is working on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms.

Lookin great and multiplatform. :)

Back