Quantic Dream to present 'Heavy Rain' on PS3 at E3

It's a new technique from the GPGPU sector that simulates the texture produced by the salting and tanning process. Very impressive. I'm surprised that it's possible in realtime already.

Outstanding! I really dig games in real world settings. The quality is outstanding. All the materials seem to have the right properties of reflection, translucence, transparency, color saturation, etc. Lighting and shadowing are very pretty. The self shadowing in particular looked nice. The animation/gestures and facial expressions really sets it apart (first game to improve on HL2 significantly! about time!!), along with the well designed character (hair is nice). Nice subtle use of DOF and the tears seemed to work for the style. I really dig the kitchen!

Only complaint: Her teeth! They remind me of Doom 3 teeth! Egads, someone get her a dentist! :LOL: No, seriously, the teeth need some work.

Thanks for the in-depth explanation !eVo!-X Ant UK. Obviously I'm too stupid to work out they were talking about a way to render leather effects and I obviously wasn't asking what the precise method was and how it differs from just a normal lighting shader...

Ok, 3 possibilities:
1) _phil_ was too subtle for you guys.
2) There actually is such a thing as "pro pixel leatherization" (which means my previous post in this thread is quite embarrassing, but I doubt it)
3) All of you are wayyyy too subtle for me in terms of humour...

Shifty Geezer said:
Thanks for the in-depth explanation !eVo!-X Ant UK. Obviously I'm too stupid to work out they were talking about a way to render leather effects and I obviously wasn't asking what the precise method was and how it differs from just a normal lighting shader...

you're even slower than we imagined!

:)

seriously though, "pro pixel leather effects" or whatever (too lazy to go back and grab title) is one of the stupidest implementations of marketing speak that I've ever heard. would it really kill marketing departments to help us b3d'ers educate the world on the basics of computer hardware and programming models? hell all i know how to do in c++ is make linked lists basically, and I still know that "pro pixel leather effects" can be almost directly translated to mean "ehem, Leather is teh balls!"

london-boy said:
That joke went horribly wrong...
I thought it was very funny :oops:
And a great reply to the typical "thinly veiled fishing for PS3 POWER!" comment.
But I'm still not entirely convinced that Shifty isn't just one level deeper than all of us... if so, sorry for ruining it!

Lod

Tap In said:
my my

I'm impressed, the face may look better than anything I've seen

What I am impressed is shader LOD. When person comes close, background has no focus so extra shader power from not doing background is used for face only. With character behind and showing detail background, face has not much shader power, with blur background and face close to camera, shader for face is alot.

Also I think "pro-pixel" is mistake from "spell-checker" and lazy writer. My english is not best yet but I find other strange mistakes too.

Wow, that demo was impressive.
Not so much the crazy bitch with a horse's teeth, but the kitchen. Though the character was pretty impressive too, even if her face modelling and animation was freaky. There's definitely something wrong with you lady.

Imagine a next gen Silent Hill with graphics like that!! They could even make the game happen just inside one house with all the rooms modelled with theat level of intricate detail, and there'd be so much potential for scares of a completely new level.
I'm wetting my panties thinking next gen games can actually have that quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
max-pain said:
"The following video is captured from our real-time PlayStation 3 demo as unveiled yesterday on the Sony Computer Entertainment booth at E3."

http://www.quanticdream.com/downloads/news/HEAVYRAIN_THECASTING_AVI.zip

Back on topic (and so Shifty can make a reappearance)...

I just watched the proper vid - very impressive. But, but.... surely not? Knowing that it's a tech(ish)-demo the first obvious thought is "what's the actual game gonna be like?"

a) A dating sim :) j/k
b) More of an interactive movie experience?

I dunno. Maybe I'm not showing enough imagination...

EDIT: Ahh ok, e.g. Silent Hill - d'oh! Thanks rabid.

ihamoitc2005 said:
What I am impressed is shader LOD. When person comes close, background has no focus so extra shader power from not doing background is used for face only. With character behind and showing detail background, face has not much shader power, with blur background and face close to camera, shader for face is alot.

Also I think "pro-pixel" is mistake from "spell-checker" and lazy writer. My english is not best yet but I find other strange mistakes too.

hem.. you just described DOF ,but in a strange an funny way.the shaders don't change nor LOD at all.it's just post processing.

I just watched the proper vid - very impressive. But, but.... surely not? Knowing that it's a tech(ish)-demo the first obvious thought is "what's the actual game gonna be like?"
a) A dating sim j/k
wouldnt surprise me, in fact i wonder why this + similar genres hasnt been done more with consoles, it has the potential to be far larger than GTA

Back