Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) E3 2006 trailer

The PSP could possibly replace the CODEC radio, the CODEC in the MGS4 seemingly being that little robot companion.

rabidrabbit said:
The PSP could possibly replace the CODEC radio, the CODEC in the MGS4 seemingly being that little robot companion.

Wow, great idea. You'd get paged on the PSP and find someone talking on it :p. Would also be cool if you could use the robot for reconnaissance, and it shows you through the PSP's screen while you hide in the corner.

rabidrabbit said:

OMG see through the eyes of the little robot via PSP. Brilliant!

hehe, and when the PSP is starting to run out of battery after your 5 hour MGS4 session, Otacon would come to the screen and tell you to quickly find a charging outlet :)

rabidrabbit said:
hehe, and when the PSP is starting to run out of battery after your 5 hour MGS4 session, Otacon would come to the screen and tell you to quickly find a charging outlet :)

You should drop an email for the kojima team :)

In terms of implementation, they could have a picture-in-picture mode for those who don't have a PSP. For the lucky ones, they'll see it on their PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nesh said:
Its a very different game. Its a game where you play and watch. You are playing in a story. Many might complain it has too many cut scenes and dialoques but in this game the story is as important as the gameplay. So some will be surprised that cut scenes and dialoques parts take as much from you time as the gameplay sections do

We are going crazy all over this despite that, because the MGS series is the only series that knows its a game. It lets you literally experiment with the world. You might constantly find things that make you "wow thats attention to detail" or the seond time you play it "what the? HA I didnt notice this the first time I playied it"

Small spoilers:
For example in MGS3 when you switch off the PS2, Snake is supposed to be asleep and his wounds and stamina are recoved. There was a part in the game I loaded after switching the console off and..... I was playing...in Snake's nightmare until he woke up :LOL:

Get Snake to eat rotten food and he gets sick, leave a planted arrow on his body and his wound will close with the arrow stuck on his skin.

You can experiment with almost anything. Even the enemy AI. The game has a sense of realism compined with a sense of unrealism (the fact that the game knows that in reality its a game) and this makes the 3D enviroment feel like a "virtual world" almost.

In MGS1 there was a boss that could read your "mind"(your input) so you couldnt do anything to hit him. He could also read some konami games from your memory card and make comments on them or comment on the way you playied the game. Unplug the controller from the first slot and plug it to the second and he wont be able to read your "mind" asking: WHY CANT I READ YOUR MIND?

After you beat him hi sais: "so..thats why I couldnt read your mind...you used the other..."

If you love complicated stories(its weird in many ways) with lots of depth this is it. Its the only game with anti-war messages and other stuff. Just check out the themes of MGS1 and 2. Genes and Meme(information) and how much these define the way you think and live.

Very well said! *thumbs up*

Is it just me, or is this PSP-as-second-screen thing we're seeing for some PS3 games is just a bit much?
I mean, all this integration with PSP just for the hell of it is starting to get a bit silly and gimmicky IMO.

I just don't get it. If you can put a PSP next to your TV to act as a side mirror (or a different view point), why not just stick to the old "small window in the corner" method, and leave PSP to charge up... We have big TVs these days, the impact a small window has on games today is very negligible, so the PSP integration is not actually "functional", it's just something to show your mates until the batteries run out, and believe me you'll get tired of the novelty very very soon.

They showed you can use your PSP as a "side mirror" on the F1 game... How much different from a PSP-sized window on your TV doing the same job? Why involve a whole different piece of hardware connected wirelessly, depleting its own batteries, using another LCD screen? Just because it sounds cool? To me it just screams "waste of resources". It would be like having your girlfriend riding a motorcycle next of your car (using its own petrol), with her holding a mirror so you can see behind you, when all you really needed was a "side-mirror" bolted to your car...

Maybe i'm just getting old...

london-boy said:
I just don't get it. If you can put a PSP next to your TV to act as a side mirror (or a different view point), why not just stick to the old "small window in the corner" method, and leave PSP to charge up... We have big TVs these days, the impact a small window has on games today is very negligible, so the PSP integration is not actually "functional", it's just something to show your mates until the batteries run out, and believe me you'll get tired of the novelty very very soon.

Perhaps because it wouldn't all be that authentic, since realistically, the screen would be your windshield of the car and sidemirrors tend to be outside of the car... ;)
I agree though that the novelty would wear of very soon though...

I personally think it's a cool idea - and even cooler, the thought of controlling a mini robot from the PSP as some kind of a remote control in MGS (if they'll implement something like this). Now this would be really cool!

Phil said:
Perhaps because it wouldn't all be that authentic, since realistically, the screen would be your windshield of the car and sidemirrors tend to be outside of the car... ;)
I agree though that the novelty would wear of very soon though...

I personally think it's a cool idea - and even cooler, the thought of controlling a mini robot from the PSP as some kind of a remote control in MGS (if they'll implement something like this). Now this would be really cool!

But... That would require me to put the controller down, pick up the PSP, start playing with that for a bit, then put the PSP down, pick the controller up and keep playing with that...

Do you have ANY idea how much effort that takes on lazy gamers like moi? ;)

Yea that would be a bit awkward.
But if you put the PSP on the sofa table beside you on a stand while playing MGS4 on a big screen, the CODEC idea could work well enough, at least it would be fun and add to the immersion. Gimmicky, yes, but what in videogames isn't really? Gimmicks can still be fun.

Instead of alternating between the PS3 and PSP when playing as the MGS4 robot companion, maybe you could play a "Robot Companion Minigame" on your PSP from Memorystick or by Location Free gaming anywhere.

I think PSP will only show what the bot sees by checking the area for you for any enemies and dangers.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll have to pick up MGS3 for the PS2 to see what its like.

Get the Subsistance version -- it'll be closer to MGS4... the camera makes it so much better.

london-boy said:
Is it just me, or is this PSP-as-second-screen thing we're seeing for some PS3 games is just a bit much?
I mean, all this integration with PSP just for the hell of it is starting to get a bit silly and gimmicky IMO.

They showed you can use your PSP as a "side mirror" on the F1 game... How much different from a PSP-sized window on your TV doing the same job? Why involve a whole different piece of hardware connected wirelessly, depleting its own batteries, using another LCD screen? Just because it sounds cool? To me it just screams "waste of resources". It would be like having your girlfriend riding a motorcycle next of your car (using its own petrol), with her holding a mirror so you can see behind you, when all you really needed was a "side-mirror" bolted to your car...

Maybe i'm just getting old...

Well you can't really bleme them since they were the same people who had all those grand ideas using a second computer LCD monitor to make that 2nd HDMI connector seem useful. Now that there is only 1 HDMI, they are moving on to other grand ideas using PSP as the second montior which recall has been done before GC+GBASP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I find the whole use a second screen or psp as side view mirrors less immersive than a pip screen. A second screen or psp could only easily reproduce a rear view mirror, which i think is totally lacking on a F1 type car,if im not mistaken.

Using a psp or second screen as side view mirrors would ruin immersion by requiring you to look in one direction to display two views that are normally located in opposite directions of the straight ahead view. Furthermore, if the secondary screen is not as large or almost as large as the main TV, then sense of speed can be ruined. You would have to transfer your eyes to a large field of view to a smaller view where that static wall or background scenery takes up larger portion of your peripheral vision and background area.

The best way to immerse a gamer in a driving game is to have gamer use rendered side view and rear view mirrors in game. Where using those second shoulder buttons (or some other button combination thats easy on the fingers) could be used to make the screen look in the direction of mirrors and mimick eye movement by showing the inside of your helmet on the side edge of your screen for side views and top of your helmet (top of screen) when viewing the rear view.

Introduce the sound of breathing and muffled sounds of the engine and one can mimick the claustophobic enviroment that exist inside a helmet.

I agree. I think a better use for PSP integration is for assymmetric games, where a main player (who has the advantage of a big screen) fights one or more smaller players on PSPs. The smaller players have total knowledge of what the big player knows (they can see his screen), but he cannot see their screens. Some of this was done in the GC, but it can be expanded alot.

Another use could be turret functionality, wherein two players in a room who are playing online, a second player can take use of a turret via the PSP while another player drives (or vice versa) without using annoying split screen.

(the PSP "side mirror" concept is pretty stupid. First, how many people can attach their PSP to their TV? Secondly, at the viewing distances I play it, I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. The bigger the screen, the worse the idea)

dobwal said:
Using a psp or second screen as side view mirrors would ruin immersion by requiring you to look in one direction to display two views that are normally located in opposite directions of the straight ahead view. Furthermore, if the secondary screen is not as large or almost as large as the main TV, then sense of speed can be ruined. You would have to transfer your eyes to a large field of view to a smaller view where that static wall or background scenery takes up larger portion of your peripheral vision and background area.
Well in F1's defence, rear view and side mirrors are smaller in real life, you actually have to turn your head, away from the attention of the track to look at them, so I dont see how it would be much different, though in metal gear solid, i could see it being a problem because the screen is so small.

mckmas8808 said:
Well I can tell you this. Snake's facial quality hasn't dropped one bit. Keep in mind at GDC Kojima was showing off Snake's model so he had alot of close ups. In this trailer when close ups happened they looked the same as last year's trailer. Look at this.

E3 2006
snake17sz.jpg

TGS 2005
stounge9by.png

Lighting, for one, does not looks as good on the face.

I just watched the 15 min trailer. Oh my god. What an amazing game this is going to be. Looks very muddy to me, but that is probably because of the low-res trailer (but textures aren't very crisp at all). The real-time shadows are the best i've ever seen. Still a year left in development, and I absolutely can't wait to see the final result. I have a feeling this will be by far the best MGS yet. I will def. play this game. Sony should send Kojima a fat check, and a thank you note, because he just sold their system.

Back