Ati sued by consumers over lack of hdcp

Cue lawyers at the bottom of the sea jokes. Class action lawsuits are often the legal equivalent of extortion and serve the lawyers rather than the plaintiffs.

That being said, I can see how ATI stating that their GPUs are HDCP compliant can bee seen as slightly misleading to the consumer even if they never said it about their graphics cards.

At least from what I saw, ATI only advertized that the DVI outputs were HDCP compliant but never that the chips could accept or decode HDCP protected content, so I really can't see this case getting anywhere.

Have any of the third party board manufacturers been taking an ATI PR cut'n-paste and slapped stuff like a sticker with GPU bullet points (including HDCP support) on their boxes? If so, they might have a case there, but I guess it's easier to get an out of court payday for the lawyers when targeting ATI, rather than some company in China or Taiwan.

Zaphod said:
Have any of the third party board manufacturers been taking an ATI PR cut'n-paste and slapped stuff like a sticker with GPU bullet points (including HDCP support) on their boxes? If so, they might have a case there, but I guess it's easier to get an out of court payday for the lawyers when targeting ATI, rather than some company in China or Taiwan.

Yup. My Sapphire ATi Radeon X1600 Pro actually has a funky feature box saying "HDMI Compliant"

sharangad said:
Yup. My Sapphire ATi Radeon X1600 Pro actually has a funky feature box saying "HDMI Compliant"
Thanks. I haven't seen any explicit mention of such things around here.

Could ATI, under US law, be held liable for inadvertently misleading third party PR?

But HDMI isn't HDCP and HDMI doesn't need HDCP. Saying HDMI compliant probably means you can use a DVI to HDMI converter and the signal is to the HDMI spec.

Colourless said:
But HDMI isn't HDCP and HDMI doesn't need HDCP. Saying HDMI compliant probably means you can use a DVI to HDMI converter and the signal is to the HDMI spec.

Sorry let me rephrase tahat. I got my acronyms muddled up.

It says "HDCP Compliant." IT doesn't saying anything about HDMI.

[EDIT] No it doesn't. All it says is HDMI compliant. The next time I'll read the damn box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back