Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

hey69 said:
but if you just think about it.
TGS september: KEn Kutaragi on stage:
" hello 1 ps3 pack . price 349$ " they would have MS by the balls i think with that.
but yeah thats just wishfull thinking :)

Would it really be smart to sell them at $350-450 when you can sell them $500-600? I think they'll sell every one they make until at least early 2007. With such a high price they may not have people camping out days in advance but I think they'll still fly off of shelves.

J_Saint said:
Would it really be smart to sell them at $350-450 when you can sell them $500-600? I think they'll sell every one they make until at least early 2007. With such a high price they may not have people camping out days in advance but I think they'll still fly off of shelves.

That is exactly what I'm banking on. I'm hoping to just walk into a store the weekend of the launch and just pick up the "premium" version.

J_Saint said:

I agree, the demand is there as shown with the launch of the 360.

What's troubling though is the possible bundeling options that will crop up. PS3 + 4 games + eyetoy + date with Monica Belluci for 1200$.

And you know what the sick part is? It will still sell! :mad:

The launch price is not a problem for Sony, only for early adopters.

Whats troubling about the launch price, from Sony's perspective, is the possibility that its an indicator that they wont be able to compete on price 2-3 years down the line, where the marketshare will be decided.

If the costs are going to even out shortly then hey Sony is right, minimize losses early on and charge what customers will pay for it. However, if theyve put themselves in a position where their costs are going to be 100-200 more than MS and Nintendo over the next few years then they have to choose between a price disadvantage or huge losses on the hardware.

Cattle-Dog said:
The article is wrong. No 1080p over component. 1080i is as high as your going to get.

Is 1080i confirmed, because maybe I will by the "[moderated]" pack. I mean I sure can't afford a 1080p TV even probably in a few years.

AACS forbids anything greater than 1080i over unprotected outputs. Nothing should stop Sony from playing games at 1080p over component though.

Cattle-Dog said:
The article is wrong. No 1080p over component. 1080i is as high as your going to get.

During my years in the high en d home cinema scene, we used several 1080p test video's all of which were shown using compent. Component will do it, as ive also used component on a PC to show Terminater 2 : extreme edition ( which is 1080p ). Another thing is that we run some HD footage on Compoent and HDMI, same machines, cables made by the same company, and the same display. And componemt blew HDMI out of the water, granted HDMI had less artifacts on screen but its coulrs were beaten hands down by the natualness of component.

AACS forbids anything greater than 1080i over unprotected outputs.

It wont be long before someone gets around it :)

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
It wont be long before someone gets around it :)
Suits me. I think DRM is starting to get way out of hand. ...on a tangent, if HD DVD and Blu-Ray go the way of SACD and DVDA, it won't be because of lack of interest, but because of too draconian DRM.

J_Saint said:

Is it really smart to price them at $500-$600 if 6 months or less of good sales is all you can count on at that price?

Let's face it, once the hardcore Sony fans get their systems, and all that's left is the casual gamer, the $500-$600 price will absolutely kill Sony. They will lose tens of millions of sales over the course of the next 6 years because the system is simply priced too high for the majority of the gaming market.

Cattle-Dog said:
Suits me. I think DRM is starting to get way out of hand. ...on a tangent, if HD DVD and Blu-Ray go the way of SACD and DVDA, it won't be because of lack of interest, but because of too draconian DRM.

I could agree, companys need to relise that Copy Proctection scares aways consumers when they hear they need this and that to get it to work properly, they also need to relised that no matter what they try to do to prevent people from tampering it will will still be hakced. Good old VHS tapes and CD's, u just put em in and they play on any device with no problem's.....the way it should be :)

Honestly, is there any reason to buy the $600 one if you don't have a 1080p TV. That's basically what I need to know. I kind of figured the PS3 would be around $500.

Ben-Nice said:
Honestly, is there any reason to buy the $600 one if you don't have a 1080p TV. That's basically what I need to know..

Apart from the bigger hard drive and wi-fi, not really as far as i understand...
Personally i wouldn't want Hollywood studios to start using ICT in 2009-2010 rendering my Bluray player... i mean, my non-HDMI PS3... useless for HD movies.

Ben-Nice said:
Honestly, is there any reason to buy the $600 one if you don't have a 1080p TV. That's basically what I need to know. I kind of figured the PS3 would be around $500.

Well it depends, if your planning on getting a 1080p TV with-in PS3's 10yr life cycle then it would be best to get the best version. And lets face it, 10yrs time 1080p will be standard and cheap as chip's

rabidrabbit said:
Of the price, maybe they'll lower it for the launch.
What if these announced prices are here just so the competitor(s) wouldn't be so much encouraged to plan a drastic price-cut to counter the PS3 launch...

By the marketing book (strategic pricing)...
It is not out of the question since MS also loses money right now. But strategy like this is very hard to execute, and takes time (to gain the competitor's trust !). It has happened before. In a typical situation, if MS decides to follow suit, they may release an interview article about "Rising cost in game development sucks, we are losing our pants", etc. etc. I mentioned earlier that it would be Sony's first and last ditch to even think about this approach. At this point, a marketing professor may say, "Sometimes I wish the competition is smarter" (Wistful thinking).

MS probably won't bite because of (i) Nintendo, (ii) MS has enough money to lose and can just wait out, and (iii) They have their own take-over-the-world-with-DirectX plan to execute and doesn't want to lose the momentum. With Sony's recent "stealing Wii" perception, it doesn't exactly encourage a trusting image. It is very tempting for a competitor to ignore/screw you over this (like Prisoner's Dilemma).

Ok back to reality...

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Well it depends, if your planning on getting a 1080p TV with-in PS3's 10yr life cycle then it would be best to get the best version. And lets face it, 10yrs time 1080p will be standard and cheap as chip's

You think the PS3 will last 10 years. I don't know about that. But thanks for the input.

Cattle-Dog said:

1080p at 30fps uses the same bandwidth as 1080i, though I don't know why you'd want that 1080p, I can't imagine it looking better under any circumstance.

And componemt blew HDMI out of the water, granted HDMI had less artifacts on screen but its coulrs were beaten hands down by the natualness of component.

Could that be to component allocating more of its bandwidth towards color accuracy than HDMI does?

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
I dont see why it wont last that long, PS1 did and PS2 is'nt showing sign's of slowing down either.

It's showing signs of slowing down big time! It won't die overnight, like PS3 won't, but by the time PS3 is 10 years old, we'll be worrying about what PS5 will be.

Cattle-Dog said:
AACS forbids anything greater than 1080i over unprotected outputs. Nothing should stop Sony from playing games at 1080p over component though.

AACS: http://www.aacsla.com/support/AACS_Interim_Adopter_Agreement_060215.pdf

"Exhibit F", point 2.12:

“Image Constraint Token” shall mean the field or bits, as described in the Specification, used to trigger a Constrained Image as set forth in these Compliance Rules.
And

Constrained Image ” shall mean an image having the visual equivalent of no more than 520,000 pixels per frame (e.g., an image with resolution of 960 pixels by 540 pixels for a 16:9 aspect ratio). A Constrained Image may be attained by reducing resolution, for example, by discarding, dithering, or averaging pixels to obtain the specified value.
But
http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/702/702074p1.html

Sony's announcement that their first generation of Blu-ray players and media would export full 1080p resolution over all connections (component, DVI, and HDMI

:?: :?:

Back