Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

rendezvous said:
That has been posted several times allready, but I'm not going to be an a**hole, telling you to use the search function ;).
Thank you. When these announcements happen overnight for us Brits, we can't be expected to read through pages upon pages of opinons to get to the details ;)

Little bit bigger than PS2 then
A lot bigger when you factor depth, 274mm versus about 180mm. But yes, quiet is all that really matters!

With my devices, the multicard reader will likely remain completely unused.
My devices that have memory cards can be connected with a USB cable, and that is much more convenient than taking the card from the device and putting it into a slot on PS3.
This depends a bit on compatibilty though, I think. My bro has a nice digicam from Ricoh, but it needs it's own software to be accessed over the USB. Will it be accessible over PS3 USB? Wheras the card reader provides a gaurenteed access. Also for portability of save games it's important I think. When friends come round to play PS2, sometimes we play from someone's save game on their card. Or am I forgetting that the bright new future is online and we're not supposed to leaves our houses or have real human contact?

The weight surprises me the most. What can possibly get the weight up to 5kg? 3.5kg of pure copper for the cooling? Would explain the price as well... :)

I guess they broke the promise of offering only 1 SKU.

The 20GB SKU is $100 too expensive for entry level SKU. The 60GB SKU is about right though.

They probably figure, anyone with proper 1080p with HDMI are able to shell out an extra $100, for 60GB SKU.

They probably traded the HDMI for the HDD. Probably a wise move.

Glad to see the familiar DS shape for the controller and yay they finally remove the stupid rumble feature. Added a tilt sensor, which probably going to be pretty much unused like the analog buttons in DS2.

What about the games though ? So far only exclusive are DMC4 and VF5 are on my radar for this thing.

I find that price very expensive, personally. It's much pricier than the Xbox, and certainly worse value.

However, we're gamers, and value is generally one of the last things on our mind. Hopefully MS force a price war and make life better for everyone. I'm personally saving for a PS3 now, hopefully can convince the other half it's worth it after price drop #1.

How much difference in cost can there possibly be between a 20GB HDD and a 60 GB? Desktop drives go for under 25 cents/GB in retail, and though I know notebook drives are more expensive, surely volume discounts would bring the cost down to at least this level if not lower.

By the time PS3 launches, I'd be very surprised if the MS doesn't upgrade to 60GB. That'll probably take out a lot of bite from PS3's percieved "value".

BTW, I agree with all you guys who think MS launched at too low a price. They would've sold out just as well at $499, and in this world a higher price is often all you need to be looked upon as superior. PS3 will sell out for a while even at $599, and Sony could simply be being smart where MS wasn't. A few months later, Sony might make a price cut.

The question now is how much MS can take advantage of this situation.

I also find it overpriced relative to the competition. No HDMI on the lower priced SKU seems rather desparate. Also what happened to the 2nd HDMI connector on the higher priced model? Was it a cheaping out decision or a gimmick decision on SONY's part?

I don't understand why they would remove the hdmi port ?. My first thought wat that the package would not include an hdmi cable (i was thinking maybe an sony A/V port with an adapter to hdmi).

And the Wifi is it an addon to the 20gig SKU ?.

Just truly amazing. I do not know what the hell is happening at SCEI. The price is not justifiable, at all. The two SKU's would be OK but the removal of HDMI makes no sense whatsoever.

Unless this is just a strategy to maximise revenues at launch and a huge price drop follows in FY07 then Sony will be in a lot of trouble this generation.

Oh yes they do :D Although at the moment (and hopefully long after) it is strictly forbidden by the Forum Rules to do so.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/announcement.php?f=37

Of the second HDMI, why are you people getting your knicers up the crack because it's ditched?
Nobody ever found any use for it when it was speculated here, and those who now are crying over the loss said including two HDMI's was wasted money.
Make up your minds already, or is it just because you want so hard to say "Sony LIED to me boohoo!!!"
The PS3 prior to this was subject to change, obviously the second HDMI was also considered not needed by Sony.

How's the three Gigabit Ethernet ports on the back though, and the rear USB's??

It's not confirmed the Multi AV wouldn't be able to carry HDMI, as the xbox360 AV port has been speculated to be able to turn into a HDMI port because of the addon HD-DVD.
Let's wait for further confirmation on the Multi AV shall we.
I say there'll be an accessory MultiAV - HDMI cable available, thus making the two HDMI ports again (at which point we can again revert back to the "but the two HDMI is sooo not needed silly Sony!!" ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
If the second HDMI port didn't cost too much to include most people who are willing to pay $600 probably won't complain about paying a little more. Whether you personally think it was a useless feature or not is irrelevent. It would be nice if they included an option for an HDMI connector on the Core SKU.

Any word on UK pricing yet?

Knowing how the bastards always gouge us I'm predicting at least £ 400 (USD 750) for the top end package and possibly more!

Mariner said:
Any word on UK pricing yet?

Knowing how the bastards always gouge us I'm predicting at least £ 400 (USD 750) for the top end package and possibly more!

Just do a straught Euro's to sterling conversion. ~ £350 to £420

rabidrabbit said:
Of the second HDMI, why are you people getting your knicers up the crack because it's ditched?
We know you finns aren't exactly the most civilized people on earth, but PLEASE. Let's be reasonable here shall we? No need to paint such pictures in peoples' minds! ;)

Nobody ever found any use for it when it was speculated here, and those who now are crying over the loss said including two HDMI's was wasted money.
I never really got the reason for the 2nd HDMI, I just thought it'd be cool to have another one. Sort of like I don't throw away the video cables that comes with a new monitor when I buy it, even if I can't think of any practical use for them. It's stuff that's nice to have, that's all. Now that it's gone - not that it ever really was THERE to begin with - I'm like, *shrug*.

How's the three Gigabit Ethernet ports on the back though, and the rear USB's??
The loss of the gigabit switch is a bit more serious. Most people seemed to think that's where the camera would connect, but as there's only one jack at the back now, that's not very bloody likely. Personally, I always thought it made loads more sense having it hook up through a USB connector. Losing all the rear USB ports (all both of them in fact) is perhaps a bit more concerning. That means having an USB cable draping across the table when one has the eyetoy hooked up.

Well, this was the way it worked on the PS2 of course so it's hardly a change for the WORSE, but I still would have preferred it if it had at least one connector on the rear, just to keep those unsightly cables a little more hidden.

It's not confirmed the Multi AV wouldn't be able to carry HDMI
The AV port looks just like the one on PS2 - which in turn was the same as original PS, AFAIK. Of course, just a quick photo off a webpage doesn't prove anything (especially as this is just a prototype ALSO), but I'd think Sony would reason, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. After all, a penny saved by re-using the old AV port, is a penny earned.

Back