Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

That price is gonna send some ripples thru the game development community also. I think this is a huge sigh of relief for the hd-dvd crowd. I make decent money as an IT administrator but I can't justify $500 for something thats heavily crippled and anti-future proof. $600 breaks the mental barrier I'd pay.

I can see a lot of upper-middle class kids gobbling these things up. But the xbox360 at a $249-$349 xmas price point will be flying off the walmart shelves this yule. And the 360 will have the momentum this gen. 360 will be the new ps2. PS3 will be the new xbox. Heck we may even see hd-dvd and BR coexist. The first time in history we could have 2 successful video standards.

okay so what if on wednesday they announce

GTA - EXCLUSIVE AND

Cell now runs at 4ghz and RSX at 600? :smile:

Tap In said:

GTA - EXCLUSIVE AND

GTA would be good for Sony. I still think GTA and Halo are bigger system sellers than MGS, Zelda or FF. In the west atleast and not by much.

Upping clock specs mean little both the 360 and ps3 are crippled by 512mg of memory. It doesnt matter how fast the octo-core cpus and 48 pipe gpus can process items. There is nowhere to put the information and texture detail will still remain the same on both systems.

Pozer said:
But the xbox360 at a $249-$349 xmas price point will be flying off the walmart shelves this yule.

Why do you think it will drop in price? Sony will be $100 over + limited availability. MS will have more games and a lot of hardware. Internal cost reduction for the BOM will not have changed much over the last year. Yields may be up, but everything should be about the same. 65nm is not coming until 2007 and last I checked the game division is still bleeding money.

When they hit 65nm and GDDR3 700MHz ramps up and becomes pretty "middle of the road" we can start thinking about $50 price drops, but I don't think much sooner. That is where MS may have Sony though. A $249 core is half the price of a $499 20GB SKU. Sure, Sony has the same cost reduction plans in the pipe, but MS should hit $199 before Sony hits $299. True, no HDD. But that is the tradeoff--getting to the "mental" barrier "impulse" buy $199 mark.

I agree on the shelves part. My Wal*Mart got 8 360's in 2 weeks ago on a Weds. By the next evening they were all gone less 1 Core.

What if, heh?

Tap In said:

GTA - EXCLUSIVE AND

What if they announce that the PS3 can alter the very fabric of Space and Time, make a good Coffee and come for free with every Ken Kutaragi T-Shirt bought?

Vysez said:
What if they announce that the PS3 can alter the very fabric of Space and Time, make a good Coffee and come for free with every Ken Kutaragi T-Shirt bought?
well then I'd say it's under-priced. ;)

Edit:
I just found it interesting the the chip specs nor GTA were mentioned yet.... it's as if a shoe has yet to drop (yes I understand the possibility of the chips changing is miniscule :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
cam said:
Revealing the price so early was un-sony like, but then the whole show felt like that

Heh, you felt it too ? I did lot's of demos and presentations like that about 10 years ago. We had our own share of mishaps on stage. Today's event felt like something was changed last minute, or they didn't have time to go through the flow enough iterations to streamline it. I wonder what caused that. What was the reason for the keynote delay ?

Bad_Boy said:
I still wonder if the power supply is internal or external.

With all those vents and additional weight (compared to the 360) it could be internal. If not that means it is probably packing a large heat sink and needs a lot of cooling.

I paid 2700 dkr for my x360 (premium) 1 week after launch in Denmark. Thats :

360 Euro. Or 247 £.

PS3 is 499 Euro, thats 3800 dkr and then there is the VAT.... :(

From what I have read, the $599 version of the console will not be able to play BD movies in High-Def, which seems like a total waste when you consider that BD support was one of the most hyped features going into this press conference. – I am ignoring the $699 version,

The prices for $499 and $599, not $599 and $699.

Both versions can play BD movies, the $499 version just doesn't have HDMI and WiFi. So you can play back movies over component HD video, just like the XBOX-360 is limited to component HD video today.

How much do you think it is going to cost to add HD-DVD, WIFI, HDMI, and X-Box Live (Sony Online is free) to a $400 Premium X-Box?

DemoCoder said:
The prices for $499 and $599, not $599 and $699.

Both versions can play BD movies, the $499 version just doesn't have HDMI and WiFi. So you can play back movies over component HD video, just like the XBOX-360 is limited to component HD video today.

How much do you think it is going to cost to add HD-DVD, WIFI, HDMI, and X-Box Live (Sony Online is free) to a $400 Premium X-Box?

What percentage of the userbase do you think actually wants HD-DVD, wi-fi, hdmi and xblive? most might just want to game.

And you're making a couple of assumptions, I haven't heard sony confirm online gaming as free, and are we now accepting that all BR movies for the life of PS3 will playback over component? Otherwise there's some issues with the BR movie support.

I'm wondering if it's a typo, or if it refers to the cable, makes no sense to not include HMDI on one SKU.

Does anyone have pictures of both ends, or just the bottom (when it's vertical) of the new casing? I'm trying to see if the HDD bay is still accessible or if they changed it so the HDD is no longer removable. I can't imagine they'd do that but after the gimping of the $500 version I put nothing past them anymore.

scooby, it's definately not just the cable as there are PR pics of the two different versions available and the $500 does not physically have the port on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Sony wanted to test that old adage about there being no such thing as bad publicity. Their price announcement will almost certainly overshadow anything else coming out of E3 this year. To quote Nigel Tuffnel: "There's a fine line between clever and stupid." I wonder on which side of that line Kutaragi-san will land this generation.

Back