Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

alexp2792 said:
Ok, PLEASE tell me how do I get on the Sony advertising team, I wanna make money from home too!!!!!! Of courge CGI movies look better than any gameplay, for example that motocross game looks like crap ingame and nowhere close to what we saw last year. X360 games were running on Apple G5s while most developers have had CELL and GeForce 7800/900 to work with for a good while already. I watched the whole thing and none of the ingame demos looked as good as Gears of War or Too Human. By the way I owned all 3 consoles this gen and I don't have anything against PS brand or Sony but from what I've seen so far PS3 is all hype.

Oops sorry I didnt know Heavenly Sword, FF13, MGS4, Warhawk etc were CGI movies.

Sorry I take what I said back.

Sorry eh? Sorry.

trinibwoy said:
$599 is nothing for far too many people - Sony will have serious supply issues for at least a year even at this price. Maybe Microsoft should have launched at a higher price.

Yes. Sony is not stupid. We should let them do their job. I'm guessing they have 2 major motivations:
* Supply issues during the early days as you mentioned
* Existing PS2 stocks (They need to clear them)
Meanwhile I'd say we will hear more about Sony Online (or whatever it's called) and the playstation games (PS2 and PS3).

I'll pretend I didn't see one's post about Cell and RSX having unspecified clock speed. That just screws with my mind.

Disappointed that no additional info on Cell and RSX..but I think we already know what we should know so I don't think it matters that much...

Best media entertainment device for the best value ever is also the most ridiculously priced console ever...hmmmmmm

Remember one thing folks

Before registering to the Forum, I suggest you to read the other technical forums of B3D.
Once you're done, understand that this is what these Console Forums used to be like before this whole next-gen transistion.
Understand also, that this is how these Console Forums are going to be now. One way or another.

In other words, confrontational substance-less posts and stealth trolls will be deleted on sight, and accounts will be closed.

We said that we won't be issuing any warning, so that will probably be the only one.

Acert93 said:
This is just me, but I wish they would have either dumped a lot of the non-gaming related stuff and gone with a lower price

They gave you this choice via the low end option (No home media functions and HDMI stuff)

Nesh said:
Oops sorry I didnt know Heavenly Sword, FF13, MGS4, Warhawk etc were CGI movies.

Sorry I take what I said back.

Sorry eh? Sorry.

Um all of those games can be done of xbox360 and Warhawk didn't even look that great in the first place and while Heavenly Sword is nice its not a system seller for me. And I will get a PS3 once MGS4 and FF13 come out.

Component can carry 1080p video, assuming the video output silicon isn't crippled.

It's the protected content from Blu-Ray movies which won't play over component if ICT is set. If it isn't set, component can carry 1080p signals for video or game content.

Vysez said:
But why would you do that? That doesn't make any sense to make such a comparison. Other than trying to make things more apparent than they really are, for some reason.

Why would you compare a high end SKU to a base SKU, when you can compare low-end SKU to low-end SKU, same thing for the high end ones.

Why not?

When you see a Honda commercial and they say the price of the Accord, and then you see a Toyota commercial and they say the price of the Camary, do you stop and break out all of the brochures to compare options and read the fine print on the commercials to see how the cars that were shown were equipped before you compare the prices?

If you do you are probably the only one on earth who does.

alexp2792 said:
Um all of those games can be done of xbox360 and Warhawk didn't even look that great in the first place and while Heavenly Sword is nice its not a system seller for me. And I will get a PS3 once MGS4 and FF13 come out.
For you it may not. For others HS is a system seller. My impressions arent based on CGI footage anyways.

Personally I wouldnt buy a 360 for CoD or GRAW either but my personal ateste doesnt make these games not good enough to be system sellers

I dont know if they can be done or not. Not that I doubt it. But that doesnt have anything to do with it anyways. If MS shows games that will be 3 times more impressive at E3 it doesnt mean I wont be more impressed with the 360 just because these games could be achievable on the PS3 *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 is 1.4 KG heavier than 360 and bigger in size

PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm /3.49kg

Ahhhh guess I'm getting the $600 version. Pockets am cry. :cry:

But my heart will feel good when I'm playing Heavenly Sword in all it's lovelyness.

I was happy with the conference outside of the pricing information... the price is a bit disheartening.

I'll still dump $599 without a second thought. I have a 360 already, and will have a Rev too. Pricing be damned, this thing is mine.

Powderkeg said:
Why not?

When you see a Honda commercial and they say the price of the Accord, and then you see a Toyota commercial and they say the price of the Camary, do you stop and break out all of the brochures to compare options and read the fine print on the commercials to see how the cars that were shown were equipped before you compare the prices?
Your analogy makes no sense in this case. We're not talking options, we're talking models, there's a high-end and a low-end model. Only two prices. No need to read fine prints or anything.
Powderkeg said:
If you do you are probably the only one on earth who does.
You are the one who compared a high-end SKUs, out of two (PS3's), to a low-end SKU, out of two (X360's), to make some sort of a point, and yet you have the nerve to single me out as being the one having an odd comparison methodology?

Well, that's something else.

Nesh said:
For you it may not. For others HS is a system seller. My impressions arent based on CGI footage anyways.

Personally I wouldnt buy a 360 for CoD or GRAW either but my personal ateste doesnt make these games not good enough to be system sellers

I dont know if they can be done or not. Not that I doubt it. But that doesnt have anything to do with it anyways. If MS shows games that will be 3 times more impressive at E3 it doesnt mean I wont be more impressed with the 360 just because these games could be achievable on the PS3 *shrugs*

Honestly initially the only reason I bought xb360 was to hold me over until PS3 and finally make use of my HDTV and at $400 it wasn't a bad deal either. However PS3 is very underwhelming right now, I'm not gonna drop $600 and than wait for a year until MGS or FF13 come out. Did I mention the $500 package is a complete ripoff since you're basically getting the exact same thing as x360 for $100 more. I'm sure blind ******s like mckmas would think that $2000 is a deal of the century and realistically Sony would sell out the launch shipment regardless of price but if joe six pack sees 2 games with identical graphics running side by side with xbox being at least $100 less the choice becomes obvious.

BTW, people thought they wouldn't announce a date or pricing until some time around fall.

So what made Sony put their cards on the table so soon, knowing Nintendo and MS follows them tomorrow?

kabacha said:

PS3 may have power supply built-in. I'm not sure though.

wco81 said:
BTW, people thought they wouldn't announce a date or pricing until some time around fall.

So what made Sony put their cards on the table so soon, knowing Nintendo and MS follows them tomorrow?

Yeah I wondered about that too, but they'll do what they need to do. I will not be surprised if there are further moves by Sony to counter the early release.

It's also entirely possible MS has GTA exclusive (since it didn't show up in PS keynote at all). But I'm not a GTA guy, so no loss for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
kabacha said:

Power supply unit may be internal, then. Also noise level has to be considered.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf
For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.

wco81 said:

I was one of them

I NEVER imagined a price being given this early

perhaps they wanted to get the shock over early and set themselves up as the "premier" system?

wco81 said:

Found myself wondering that as well. Why potentially screw yourself this early when you could have just as well announced the pricing at TGS when it was closer to launch (and kept the competitors waiting and wondering and consumers as well).

Seems kind of un-Sony like.

Bobbler said:
I'll still dump $599 without a second thought.

At these prices and given all the stuff which is on there, we may want to budget an extended warranty.

Kind of sucks because you figure a year or two after launch, they will have 65 nanometer chips which will be quieter, along with more reliable components.

Back