F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

Funny, GP4 still seems to hold the best wet weather condition graphics (and gameplay, at least compared to this)

Funny, GP4 still seems to hold the best wet weather condition graphics (and gameplay, at least compared to this)

Never heard of that one since I am not a fan of F1 games. Any pics of these weather conditions? I am curious to see :)

Let's see.

Yeah, I've played more than just a few F1 games. Haven't played one yet where you can drive off the road at top speed in the rain and maintain traction through both grass and gravel traps. Don't recall playing one where you can hook wheels with another car and suffer no consequences other than slowing down either. Haven't played one where your car handles like it's on rails in the rain that I can recall.

Let me ask you this.

Have you ever played a racing sim before? Of any kind?

The last thing I think of when I see an F1 game is "arcade racer" but from that gameplay video that's all this game is. The last F1 game that I played that was this arcady was on the N64.

Really ? F1 games have options to set the handling from extremely arcady to very realistic. What makes you think that this one will not ?
I think it makes sense for a show like TGS to run the game with arcade settings so people can pick it up quickly.

A complete lack of realism.

I think the fact that the game features painted racing lines, and the developers/publishers themselves have stated that the game will feature optional driving-aids points to the fact that you are judging gameplay prematurely.

I think the fact that the game features painted racing lines, and the developers/publishers themselves have stated that the game will feature optional driving-aids points to the fact that you are judging gameplay prematurely.

Neither of those features are anything new, especially in F1 games.

And neither one makes the game play like more of an arcade racer than Need for Speed games. At least they shouldn't. Heck, World Circuit Racing (US name for Geoff Crammond's first F1 game) had assists to the point where it would auto-brake, auto-shift, show you the preferred line, and had traction control, so you could drive around the track at full throttle and only had to worry about steering, and it was still more realistic than that video depicts. And this was in 1994.

I don't believe any "driver assist" should allow you to drive through wet grass and wet gravel traps like they were dry pavement.

I wasn't trying to suggest that they were anything new, I'm not even sure how could interpret that as such. I've been playing GP games since the 1st wire-frame 3d one on my C64 through to Indy 500, through to Microprose's classics, to Papyrus' classics.

What I am trying to suggest is that you are basing your 'review' of the gameplay based on 1 video in particular

- with damage turned off
- with X driving-aids turned on
- with X realism level set to X

and in a video in which showed the car spinning out, wheel spinning on the grass unable to move, and car slowing down in gravel. Perfectly reaslistic, no. "drive through wet grass and wet gravel traps like they were dry pavement.", no.

If you don't believe that is judging gameplay pre-maturely, I don't know what is.

Like said, it looks _far better_ in motion. Sure, it doesn't have as sharp textures as the new F1 from Sony, but still, this, at least in motion, looks wet, unlike Sonys.

The graphics are pretty, but the gameplay looks really bad.

I saw on the vids that all assists were on, and the game was being controlled by regular PS2/3 controller stuff. Regardless, the Sony F1 games have a fair reputation for realistic handling, though at the same time they aren't quite the extreme sims that we are used to on PC.

Important to note though is that often you get more realistic handling depending not only on assists, but also on controller method. If they support Logitech's wheel for instance, that usually coincides with more realism, and there are similar differences between d-pad (which I think some people were using at TGS) and Analog stick control.

I think there is nothing wrong with Arcade like racing in this F1 game, considering that it will be a game appealing to teh m@sses, with lots of players online and such, but of course I'd hope for options to increase the realism as much as possible also, being a realism freak myself (my first serious racing game was Geoff Crammond's excellent F1GP on Atari ST - amazingly realistic AI in that they sometimes made completely believeable mistakes causing a huge pile-up ... I saw it happen once in the distance while driving and it was awesome - and the second was the sequel on PC with my first wheel & pedals).

The Sony F1 games, as far as I know, have featured multiple difficulty settings, the gameplay videos shown are obviously from being played on the lowest, arcadey difficulty setting because crashing looks to be virtually impossible on those videos.

It's almost impossible to judge the gameplay of a game from a video, and especially for a racing game I'd say you just can't judge it just by watching a game being played on the easiest setting, by a player that's not too good at racing games.

Personally, I dislike F1 games, no matter how good the gameplay or graphics.
I just don't find the handling of F1 cars in games fun, or the races exciting. And that's because of the nature of F1 racing.
I like most other racing game genres though.

I just don't find the handling of F1 cars in games fun, or the races exciting. And that's because of the nature of F1 racing.

No it's because you're useless at them! :devilish:

I like most other racing game genres though.

Of course, you spend 3/4 of the race against the side walls that's why!! In games like Burnout you get bonuses for being a mindless driver, that's why you prefer it! :devilish:

The Sony F1 games, as far as I know, have featured multiple difficulty settings, the gameplay videos shown are obviously from being played on the lowest, arcadey difficulty setting because crashing looks to be virtually impossible on those videos.

The Sony F1 games as far as I know have all been pretty crappy games. I don't think they've had a single one that has even managed an average of 80% in reviews.

It's almost impossible to judge the gameplay of a game from a video, and especially for a racing game I'd say you just can't judge it just by watching a game being played on the easiest setting, by a player that's not too good at racing games.

I disagree. Racing games are some of the easiest games to judge, expecially ones based on real-life racing series. I've been an F1 fan for decades, starting with the 1984 US Grand Prix which I went to. I've watched hundreds of F1 races, and have played dozens of F1 games, and it takes me no time at all to pick out glaring problems with them.

But hey, if you guys want to think it's going to be some fantastic racer, go right ahead. Looks like crap to me, but whatever. Just don't try to convince me it's going to be great unless you have something more impressive than this to fall back on.

F1 Grand Prix - PSP
Avg Ratio: 67%

Formula One 99 - PS
Avg Ratio: 78%

Formula One 2001 - PS2
Avg Ratio: 77%

Formula One 2002 - PS2
Avg Ratio: 74%

Formula One 2003 - PS2
Avg Ratio: 66%

Back