Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said somewhere that there was gonna be a world map again like in the PS1 FF's, so maybe random battles will be implemented again this time.
I thought they became annoying after a while, but there were ways around it in some of the FF's.

I can't wait for the game, I really love the series, although I never even finished one. :p

Will it play like ff10? That is the only one I played the most, but still didn't finish it...
All the random battles pissed me off while traveling down this road, and when I got to this boss battle I wasn't experienced enough to beat it...
That's just a fault with the standard JRPG format I think. I'm playing Rogue Galaxy at the moment, and I've come to the conclusion that the JPRG genre is actually nowt more than terrible game design! They get all and sundry ideas and squeeze them in without leaving anything out, which results in far too much 'stuff' of which most is irrelevant - skills, weapons and items you never use. The end result drags on for many tens of hours not pushing forward on story or gameplay, instead relying on repetitive grind to pad out those hours. And then there's the cutscenes which, sometimes good, they can go overboard on. One night I wanted to end the game and go to bed, only to be confronted with a half hour cutscene which you don't nkow how long it is so you watch just a bit more hoping it'll end soon, and then a bit more, and then a bit more... And to add insult to injury, when the cutscene is finished and you step onto a save point (normally chaotically placed, so some areas get three in a local zone, and others have them very sparse and require you to slog through another 45 minutes of game just to find a place to stop), another cutscene starts up!

I'm a sucker for cel-shaded titles, and Rogue Galaxy does look fantastic. An HD engine would be as good as the 'real thing'. However I've found I just can't get on with JRPGs any more. 60 hour games are too much. FFXIII would have to be a major diversion from the usual style of JRPG for me to consider it.

JRPGs are fine! You're just one of those western oriented gamers! Go back to your PC! (I kid I kid):p

I haven't played Rogue Galaxy but the vast majority of JRPGs I've played has had a good story(notable exception being Grandia 2) which I never saw as stilted not moving along the story and I never found myself thinking to myself that there were too many items and skills I didn't use. Sure there's grind but that's the JRPG(and western RPGs too) genre for you.

That's just a fault with the standard JRPG format I think. I'm playing Rogue Galaxy at the moment, and I've come to the conclusion that the JPRG genre is actually nowt more than terrible game design! They get all and sundry ideas and squeeze them in without leaving anything out, which results in far too much 'stuff' of which most is irrelevant - skills, weapons and items you never use. The end result drags on for many tens of hours not pushing forward on story or gameplay, instead relying on repetitive grind to pad out those hours. And then there's the cutscenes which, sometimes good, they can go overboard on. One night I wanted to end the game and go to bed, only to be confronted with a half hour cutscene which you don't nkow how long it is so you watch just a bit more hoping it'll end soon, and then a bit more, and then a bit more... And to add insult to injury, when the cutscene is finished and you step onto a save point (normally chaotically placed, so some areas get three in a local zone, and others have them very sparse and require you to slog through another 45 minutes of game just to find a place to stop), another cutscene starts up!

I'm a sucker for cel-shaded titles, and Rogue Galaxy does look fantastic. An HD engine would be as good as the 'real thing'. However I've found I just can't get on with JRPGs any more. 60 hour games are too much. FFXIII would have to be a major diversion from the usual style of JRPG for me to consider it.

I agree with this. Although most of FF items are mostly quite useful, even if it is just for selling them to get better items.

I do wish they get away from save points and just let you save whenever you want though. That way you can have shorter sessions of lets say half an hour. Now you have to play at least an hour to get anywhere (and that means you can't die either).

I do like long games (that's what you pay all that money for after all), so 50+ hours should stay imo. With maybe the possibility to have a recap of where you're at if you haven't had the time to play in a while.

Will it play like ff10? That is the only one I played the most, but still didn't finish it...
All the random battles pissed me off while traveling down this road, and when I got to this boss battle I wasn't experienced enough to beat it...

I'd strongly recommend trying out FFXII - same concept, but in a more action focused gameplay manner. I must say, despite me liking the new battle mechanics, I also missed the traditional turn-based battles from all the older Final Fantasy's. Yes, they may feel dated and might start to bore you, but that's (IMO) only usually the case when you're weak and on the verge of losing every battle. In just about every Final Fantasy that I've played - taking about 3 hours of practise to level up your character makes the rest of the game a more or less peace of cake and doesn't require much "leveling up" besides the battles you'll come across and take place.

One neat trick is to level up your character while he's still alone - when the rest joins your party, they're usually at a comparable level. As an example - if your character is on level 7 when character B and C joins, they'll be around level 6 and 8. If you level up your character to level 20 though, B and C will be around 19 and 21. You can save a lot of time leveling up this way. ;)

Cheers Phil

I used to like Final Fantasy, but after playing all of them you notice that the combat is the same and most of the enemy's are the wapens, the magic, etc. The problem is they change how you do things never why you do things so end up the doing exact same things as before. They need to change a lot before I buy another one. Or make a sequel to Vagrant Story.

i think the real time engine on the finished FF13 is gonna look very similar to the FF7 PS3 tech demo back in E3 05.

Second trailer shows lots of realtime combat, presumably running on PS3.

Anyway, FFXII gambit system was OK (better than any squad based realtime combat I have seen at least), and I remember reading FFXIII improving upon that, which is what I'd like to see.

I'd strongly recommend trying out FFXII - same concept, but in a more action focused gameplay manner. I must say, despite me liking the new battle mechanics, I also missed the traditional turn-based battles from all the older Final Fantasy's.
You can pause and trigger-switch as much as you damn well like without Gambits on to get the same feel, so I don't see how that's a problem. ;) (In fact, it's the only way I fought bosses.)

FFXII is just plain amazing, and I LOVE the strides they took to remove the random battling, speed up all the pointless encounters (90% of all RPG's), and actually let me DO some things I always skipped in past FF's (like stealing) because they were too monotonous.

I was under the impression that Rogue Galaxy would be going to be along similar vein, and let you actively control one character and free-combo with the others. I picked up the game, but haven't found the time to play it yet, so I guess I'll see. (My soul is owned by Burnout at the moment.)

Just for reference, though, ALL RPG's are notoriously filled with repetitive/boring/pointless encounters and unthrilling time-extenders, whether they be J-, MMO-, PC, or tactical.

Time to bring this bad boy up. Its an X360 title as of today aswell.

Great news for X360 owners, bad news for Sony loyalists. Win-win for non fanboys :D

Closing the thread as it's out-dated now, and we are not going to have any 'internet collapse' on this board! A fresh FFXIII thread can be started when new info opens discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back