Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
liverkick said:
Im looking at Gamespots FFXIII page (im a member) but it doesnt have any video listed. Can you link me where you found it?

Just had a look and couldn't find it either, seems they've taken it down for some reason. Lucky i downloaded it yesterday :)

i don't quite get what this turmoil is all about - the battle scnenes are definitely real-time-level material, incl. the forest. the rest - unlikely. not so much because they'd be technically undoable (except maybe for the monorail scenes) but because it does not make much sense to do them in real time. but again those crazy japanese always had different ideas of what's sensible and what not compared to wester devs. so it can be all real-time just as well. re the pixel quality - can't say much from the level of compression i'm getting here from the feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked out an HD version of the trailer.

I have to say as far as I can tell the forest scene is definately real-time. There is some jagginess going on there, and some blurry textures.

Nonetheless this looks absolutely amazing. Thinking back to how poor the original FFX trailer looked compared to the final product. I can only assume that this will end up looking even better.

$600 is a hard sale, but this just might do it for me...that and Heavenly Sword:D

slider said:
Don't know if this has been posted or if it has anything of interest (I'm not a FF fan).

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/708/708994p1.html

From the article.

While Square Enix announced at E3 that development on the main FFXIII game began on the PS2, the magazine reveals that the project switched platforms not too long ago. Back when the Final Fantasy VII technical demo was shown at last year's E3, the team working on that demo was simultaneously working on the PS2 version of FFXIII. The switch came after this. Motome Torishima, director of the main FFXIII title, explained to the magazine that that development staff found it difficult to go back to the PS2 after having experienced the next generation through its work on the demo.

Watching the game's trailer, and it should be apparent why. FFXIII's visual quality is so high that it's tough to differentiate the pre-rendered sequences in the trailer from the real time sequences. Based on the Famitsu report, the battle sequences and the scene of the main character walking through a detailed forest are all real time. The other parts aren't as clear and may actually be pre-rendered, but whatever the case, the separation between pre-rendered and real time is smaller than ever!

Real time or pre-rendered, visuals seem to play a big role in establishing the FFXIII world. Torishima revealed to the magazine that the development staff spent quite a bit of time on the pre-production aspects of FFXIII. The FFXIII series' concept is based on Crystals that lead the world towards the future. Crystals take the form of real world objects that are used for every day conveniences. All objects are meant to have some sort of meaning, noted Torishima, right down to individual pillars and signboards. The game's graphic artists didn't simply try to make the visuals more realistic.

Kitase chimed in with some comments on the Online prospects for the other two titles. The main FFXIII game may have some Online elements, although Online play won't be the main part of the title. Tetsuya Nomura made it clear that Versus is not being designed as an Online title, and that the chances of Online support are low.

This will be THE game that makes me buy a PS3 above all others.

I'm glad that it's not coming out for a while so I have time, and can let the price drop. I hope it's released either at the end of 2007, or sometime in 2008, that would be ideal.

i can't deny a visual values of FFXIII, but i'm bored of FF. It's over and over again the same and the game is almost non interactive, it's like watching a movie.

czekon said:
i can't deny a visual values of FFXIII, but i'm bored of FF. It's over and over again the same and the game is almost non interactive, it's like watching a movie.

I agree the series hasnt evolved very much but I wouldnt say its like watching a movie either.

FF7-FF9 were on PS1. Not much room for improvement. FFX was the first on the PS2 but I wasnt all that amazed by it. I expected more improvements.

I have my hopes on FF12 which I ve heard has changed in many things.

Also judging from what I ve seen from the FF13 trailer the battles seem much more dynamic and engaging.

I am hoping things will change on the PS3

Is it still gonna be the same attack, wait, attack, wait, sequence or will micro be important?
(last FF I played was 7 so I'm not sure if that has evolved or not)

czekon said:

Painfully obvious you haven't played any of them (or only played a single one).

The games aren't anywhere near non-interactive (for example, I have 600 hours on FFX... non-interactive my ass). None of the games are the same, or even very similar. Certain things can be found in each game (or most of the games), such as Chocobos, Cid, some Summons, etc, but the battle systems, stories, and characters (save for one spinoff so far) are totally unique and the games play totally different from each other.

I mean, seriously, if you want to talk bad about the series, at least educate yourself first. The first thing people generally say is "but I don't want to play a movie" which just shows that you've never bothered to play a single FF title ever, ruining your "credibility" on the matter.

Serenity Painted Death said:
The games aren't anywhere near non-interactive (for example, I have 600 hours on FFX... non-interactive my ass). None of the games are the same, or even very similar. Certain things can be found in each game (or most of the games), such as Chocobos, Cid, some Summons, etc, but the battle systems, stories, and characters (save for one spinoff so far) are totally unique and the games play totally different from each other.

I mean, seriously, if you want to talk bad about the series, at least educate yourself first. The first thing people generally say is "but I don't want to play a movie" which just shows that you've never bothered to play a single FF title ever, ruining your "credibility" on the matter.

Compared to western RPG's FF is much less interactive in terms of your dialogue, how you can effect the story, and how the game world responds to your actions. It also tends to have overly lengthy narratives and alot of cut-scenes, so I can see where he;s coming from.

The thing I've always liked most about FF games is sheer amount of content/sidequests they tend to have and nearly endless opportunity for exploration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back