Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PeterT said:
Looks perfectly possible to do in realtime to me. Especially from Squenix... nice hair!

That kind of hair would kill all kinds of current hardware... these are CG images, all of them.

None of the images are real-time, that is my humble opinion.

Edit: some of the assets -might- be realtime, the soldiers' clothing looks a bit like it's normal mapped - but, AA and texture filter quality are way beyond current hardware levels.

And to think that Square's team has already topped Ninja Theory and their ~3 years' worth of engine development is a bit too much for me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Laa-Yosh said:
That kind of hair would kill all kinds of current hardware... these are CG images, all of them.
wasnt this real time...last year?

final-fantasy-ps3-744288.jpg

edit:
better shot
http://i.afterdawn.com/news/SQUARE-ENIX-FINAL-FANTASY-V.jpg

I'd say its possible after seeing FFVII's tech demo from last year.

Bad_Boy said:
First and Last Shots, CG. Supposedly the Ones with the girl are real time.

edit: Beaten by Bobbler :p

I can see how they differ from the others a little, but still...o_0

Laa-Yosh said:
I disagree, the hair in the battle scenes could be done in realtime perfectly well, and even that in the girl-face closeup can be done (as long as there's little else on screen ;)). To me, the strands just look like "not-that-many" polys with clever alphablended textures.

Bobbler said:
The couple of the chick seem possibly realtime. The face closeups look like an ingame cutscene model or CG (iirc the FF7 tech demo had a close up that looked comparably awesome and that was on much earlier kits).

Can anyone dig up that close-up from the Cloud FF7 techdemo character? I'd say it was noticeably realtime, unlike these shots...

For what it is worth, the FXIII images are clearly inferior to the obvious Versus CG shots, but that doesn't mean they're in-game either, but time will tell.

According to the press conference, XIII was heavily into development for PS2, until the team got assigned the FF7 trailer at last E3. They were apparently so impressed with the hardware the switched over.

I'm going to tentatively go with "maybe" until we hear something more. Those shots don't SCREAM CGI.

And I think it is obvious that, if real, the shots are "touched up" for PR purposes. I also find the inclusion of a HUD in that one picture to be rather interesting...

IGN reports on the realtimeliness of some of the footage:

Video shown in the trailer was entirely realtime except for a short sequence of rendered footage showing a train -- our "Away Team" who saw the trailer said it looked "incredible", and will be reporting back further details after the SCE conference today at 4PM PST.

I'd like to know what these shots are from..

PeterT said:
To me, the strands just look like "not-that-many" polys with clever alphablended textures.

That's exactly the problem, such quality can only be reached when using insanely high quality AA and texture filtering; even most offline renderers have to be tweaked to produce such results...

Laa-Yosh said:
That's exactly the problem, such quality can only be reached when using insanely high quality AA and texture filtering; even most offline renderers have to be tweaked to produce such results...
Again, I disagree. The texture filtering is HQ, but you can still see some texture aliasing esp. in the lower right part, and the image is just 800 pixels wide! (presumably scaled from 1200)

I am confident I could write a demo that shows a head and similar hair on my 6800 in that res, provided the art resources.

[edit] Took out the part about AA, that depends on the specific technique used...

Bad_Boy said:
I hear ya, one more final tommorrow and im done. But this pre-e3 stuff is going to knock me a little off track. ;)
Lucky! I havent even started yet! I have 5 to go!!

Good luck though ;)

Laa-Yosh said:
Can anyone dig up that close-up from the Cloud FF7 techdemo character? I'd say it was noticeably realtime, unlike these shots...

Bad boy did a few posts back.

After looking at it again, yea those close ups definitely look CG. I still think the two of the girl fighting look quite possible ingame though (or at least an ingame cutscene situation?) -- the AA and such looks out of reach, but that's kind of expected with these pr shots (and they are downsampled past what the game will run at)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back