Lost Planet Demo

Tap In said:
I also thought ...meh... regarding gameplay at first (Although the graphics and sound grabbed me)

But after trying 3-4 more times and playing for a while and understanding the control scheme, instant turns, grapping hook and such, I'm hooked.

Not to mention I'm buying it for the online multiplayer as much, if not more.

Ya I think once they try it a few more times they would like it. And you're right about teh controls, they are not obvious at first and take some experimentation to figure them out.

I've played it quite a few times, the first level was easy, but I still can't finish this damn snow pirates level. Got across the compund, into the structure, but then proceed to get raped...

Okay, the demo graphically looks amazing. The demo plays very well, but what would make this game a buy for me is multiplayer support. I hope they support a deathmatch/co-op on split screen, system link and Live.

I guess because everything looks so good, somehow I expected the environment to be 100% destructable, but it isn't. :( The explosions are just amazing, you have to see it in motion screenshot doesn't do it justice. Mechs...love 'em.

Gameplay is okay. It's not as fast as Quake3, but it's not as slow as Ghost Recon 3. I'm not sure I like energy meter thing. I think they're trying to force the player get into heat of the battle instead of snippering.

Overall, if MP is good, I'll probably pick this up.

*Off-topic: Currently, I'm playing on a non-HDTV. Which looks amazing, so I can see WII will do just fine.

TrungGap said:
....I'm not sure I like energy meter thing. I think they're trying to force the player get into heat of the battle instead of snippering.

I'm pretty sure it's a heat level.
If it dips below a certain level, you freeze to death. At least, that was my understanding of it. :p

scooby_dooby said:
Ya I think once they try it a few more times they would like it. And you're right about teh controls, they are not obvious at first and take some experimentation to figure them out.

I've played it quite a few times, the first level was easy, but I still can't finish this damn snow pirates level. Got across the compund, into the structure, but then proceed to get raped...

As soon as you go through the door there is a mech to the immediate right, it has a gattling gun and shotgun that will take out the other mechs fairly quickly. I was playing the snowpirate level earlier and was able to snipe the pirate in the mech and take it over, I didn't realize until today that you could take over other mechs.

Tap In said:
If it dips below a certain level, you freeze to death. At least, that was my understanding of it. :p

ya freeze to death in 10 minutes at -20 :rolleyes:

dural - ya i know, it's bitch getting over there though, keep getting tagged like a million times. is the boss cool at least?

Tap In said:

Anytime you get damage, your health bar generates but at the cost of this *energy* meter. So, it seems more like a source of energy...however, it's not important as exactly what is it. But it forces you to keep on moving and killing to get more.

Overall I have high hopes for the game. I was very impressed with it being a demo. Although I felt the A.I. was a little sketchy as was the animation, the explosions and effects were showing great potential. Anyone with the a decent Home Theatre set up with surround sound should trying turning up the volume and take in some of the small ambiences this game delivers. Sound was really good considering a demo also.

Few downsides I did see were the as mentioned before some of the animations are still rough. The grappling animation needs a little work and the characters, although I know its cold out, walk a little too stiff. Not sure on release date but hopefully they will have alot of those little details taken care of by then.

scooby_dooby said:
They really need to allow in-air grappling, like multiple grapples without hitting the ground.

But that would change the game from Lost Planet to Spiderman: Lost Planet :p

The game looks amazing BTW. One of the many games on the Xbox360 that make me want to go out and buy an Xbox360 right now :(

TrungGap said:
Anytime you get damage, your health bar generates but at the cost of this *energy* meter. So, it seems more like a source of energy...however, it's not important as exactly what is it. But it forces you to keep on moving and killing to get more.
yes I wonder if they'll implement that system in multiplayer. I somehow doubt it.

And the reason I assumed it was a heat meter is that when you activate one of the little energy stands it gives off what appears to be heat and you regenerate your meter.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/701/701810p1.html

was replaced by an orange thermal blob, something Wayne needs to stay alive. In addition to a health bar, Lost Planet gives you a thermal readout which you need to keep charged. If it drops too far, you'll no longer regenerate health after taking damage. Keeping it charged didn't really seem to be a problem, as enemies are generally everywhere and drop plenty of blobs.

In one of the videos, a character explains that he needs the device to stay alive in the sub-zero temperatures.

"Terra-Forming."
"(zomgwtf) That's not possible! :oops:"

Back