X360 HD-DVD to use USB

Probably because some people keep baselessly insisting that there will be HD-DVD games, and for obvious reasons many other people don't like that idea. But yeah, this is simply an HD movie player addon for your HD console, and if the quality and price are both right then it will surely sell well.

expletive said:
Theres a big difference between this and the doomed add-ons of years past. This provides an added funcitonality not related to playing the games on the system. It doesnt need 'developer support' nor does it fragment the userbase, big difference.

Exactly. This is a peripheral that gives added functionality completely unrelated to gaming. There is really is no precedent to compare it to, all previous peripherals were failed attempts at improving on the game experience, this is completely different.

I don't think it will be a hit, but if it's $100 it could be quite the seller.

The people saying the add-on would be a big hit -- before knowing the price, features or specs -- are some of the same ones who said Blu-Ray on the PS3 would not be a factor at all.

:rolleyes:

wco81 said:
The people saying the add-on would be a big hit -- before knowing the price, features or specs -- are some of the same ones who said Blu-Ray on the PS3 would not be a factor at all.

Strange...but not one person is saying that :?:

wco81 said:

who is saying that?

Besides, even if someone is, why would you care?

do you even own a 360?

Just look over the dozens of threads here the past year or two where certain people tried to discount the value of the Blu-Ray drive -- nobody watches movies on a console, HDTV is not that big, winner of format war is uncertain, games don't need that much storage, etc.

But now the HD-DVD add-on is going to be a big hit.

What you're required to own a certain piece of equipment to call out hypocrisy?

wco81 said:

nope

it just seems like a waste of energy and B3d posts to do so IMO. knock yourself out.

I support HD DVD and I won't be buying any BR movies cuz I'm not dumb enough to support any Sony formats after betamax, mini discs, ATRAC(good call on that one lol) and the titanic known as UMD but this addon better be able to connect to PC and act as a HDDVD drive as well otherwise its a no sale for me.

wco81 said:
Just look over the dozens of threads here the past year or two where certain people tried to discount the value of the Blu-Ray drive -- nobody watches movies on a console, HDTV is not that big, winner of format war is uncertain, games don't need that much storage, etc.

But now the HD-DVD add-on is going to be a big hit.

I think your problem is more of one of perception. You know 2 people can like Platform X but disagree on something like media.

For me, I wish they had gone with DVDs because I have no intention of getting HD optical media for a number of reasons. I think the cheap-er addon route is not a bad one for those who want it--let MS and Sony gouge those who want it! As for your points, you are over exaggerating them

• nobody watches movies on a console => Who said "nobody"? Maybe some tard did, but most of the people having thoughtful dialogue on the opposite side never said anything this moronic
• HDTV is not that big => This is true depending on how you look at the market. If you look at the number of HDTVs, specifically those with HDMI, the market is smaller than the broadband market. Even further many of the things that propelled DVD adoption (like working/increasing fidelity on every TV and have specific benefits over VHS like being able to fast forward to a chapter instantly) are not found between the new medias.
• winner of format war is uncertain => Still true, even though I personally think Blu Ray will win
• games don't need that much storage, etc. => Again, an over generalization of your opposition when in fact most arguements have been that most wont need it and there are solutions for most that do. Further a number of large games (Oblivion for example) fit on a DVD9 with room to spare and history tells us there are ways to make/save room. Recently I was comparing the space of cross platform games and it seems a lot of the titles take up a ton less space on the PC/Xbox version compared to the PS2. A game like GTA is not really that big (something like 1.4GB).

Basically you made up/overstated the other position's real thoughts. And this is why topics like this derail because instead of discussing what the other side thinks, it is over generalized and skewed. Its nice to toss down the hypocracy card, but it ain't flying here in regards to most people's positions.

As for the general approaches... MS's approach seems weak, but if it offers consumers a cheap HD DVD drive (e.g. $200 versus a full fledged model at $500) then hey, I don't care. Just as long as I don't have to pay for it!

Sony is in a different position. Blu Ray is very important to their future. Bundling it with the PS3 is a key way to gain marketshare. Of course it jacked up the price. As a *gamer* if you asked me if I wanted 1) Blu Ray or 2) G80 or 3) More/Faster memory (e.g. XDR instead of the GDDR pool, and a wider buss to bring up bandwidth to the 75GB/s range) then I am going with #2 or #3. As a gamer I would actually take a lower price option and let people add on the drive cheaply if they want it. Me personally, I am waiting for all-digital format that has a better DRM situation (ha! wont happen) and for some sanity in regards to format. I could care less about either format. So please don't trivialize the opposite position because the opposing view is not as simplistic or as hypocritical as your are presenting.

crystalcube said:
Seems there is a HDMI Cable for XBOX360
From Gizmodo
Actual Lik-sang link
no confirmation but maybe a possibility.

Did you read the product description on the Lik-Sang page?
"Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Component HDAV Cable"

Which is pretty eerie, since it's the exact same thing that happened when these 'HDMI' cable products started appearing before the 360 was released:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=621673&postcount=64
http://www.google.com/search?q=PL-3618

No final word but from the HD-DVD drives that were seen, there is no video output on the drive itself only 2 USB, a power connector, and clips for the wifi adapter if you have it. So we can pretty much rule out HDMI on the back of that unit.

Sony is shipping a unit without HDMI as well, so maybe theres something afoot with movie studios and the ICT flag that isnt official yet. (e.g. theyre all going to agree not to set it for 5 years or something) Still doesnt solve the HD-Audio problem though...

This refers to the desktop part and not Xenos. Its different because in the PC space the graphics card needs to provide the HDCP DVI connector (i.e. it nees to provide the complete HDCP path from GPU to display connector) where on a games console you can do it further downstream using a Silicon Image TDMS or equivalent and not be dependent on the GPU itself.

This doesnt seem to be talking about the actual GPUs anyway, just that the cards overall do not support HDCP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acert93 said:
Basically you made up/overstated the other position's real thoughts. And this is why topics like this derail because instead of discussing what the other side thinks, it is over generalized and skewed. Its nice to toss down the hypocracy card, but it ain't flying here in regards to most people's positions.

So please don't trivialize the opposite position because the opposing view is not as simplistic or as hypocritical as your are presenting.

Yipes and Gawdam! In a nutshell.. thanks..

Back