New BIA Interview

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200605/N06.0503.1754.42600.htm

GI: You’ve talked about how your soldier is a first person actor. Could you discuss what this means?

Pitchford: Since the first person genre was created, the player character has actually been a disembodied camera with a gun (we call it a “view model”) bolted to the camera. The dream is to not be a disembodied camera, but an actual character in the world.

Our approach to this dream is to basically create what amounts to a third person simulation – with a character that can maneuver through the world and cast shadows, that has on his body the things that he is carrying. Also that he can interact with the world by doing things such as vaulting walls and for all of the animation and movement to look and feel natural and correct when you’re looking at it from that third person view.

Then, you take that character and instead of having a third person camera, you put the camera where it should be – in his eyes. Now you have a first person actor.

Of course, we had to develop some technology to help smooth out the eyes a bit so we don’t make people vomit when they run and their head bobs all over the place. But the effect works and is very natural. When you look down, you can see yourself. You see your own shadows on the ground. You can look at your chest and see how many grenades you have left hanging off your chest. When you reach a wall and climb over it (yes, you can climb over walls), you can see your hand actually plant on the wall as you vault your legs over it. It’s really cool and it’s something you’re going to see a lot more games doing as everyone moves more completely into the next-generation.
sweet...

Last edited by a moderator:
GI: How has your experience been with working with the PlayStation 3 versus the Xbox 360? Will there be any noticeable difference between the two games?

Pitchford:
Both platforms are awesome. There are some differences between these systems that are going to be interesting to see how they affect customers purchase decisions. From a graphics point of view, I would expect Brothers in Arms Hell’s Highway to remain very comparable between the different platforms. There will be some specific implementation differences, but these will largely cater to the specific strengths of any given platform. So, if you made a platform decision because of the strengths of the platform you have bought, you’re likely going to like that version of Brothers in Arms the best anyway…
interesting bit.

Tap In said:
yes but...

what the hell does it mean. ;)
seems like...both versions will be the same graphically, but both versions will have something better than the other based on the platform's strengths. whatever those differences may be, beats the hell out of me.

could be talking about anything. resolution, textures, physics, multiplayer, how many people on the screen at once, particle effects, hdr, aa, af, etc.
see what i mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
seems like...both versions will be the same graphically, but both versions will have something better than the other based on the platform's strengths. whatever those differences may be, beats the hell out of me.
well it's nice to know that they will be trying to exploit their individual strengths.

Maybe we can glean some info about their differences from some multiplatform games afterall? Might be fun trying. :)

Bad_Boy said:
could be talking about anything. resolution, textures, physics, multiplayer, how many people on the screen at once, particle effects, hdr, aa, af, etc.
see what i mean.

I do see what you mean... his comment is very vague yet revealing at the same time.

Back