Photo 'blog' options?

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
It's pretty straightforward... here's my situation:

I've got a cameraphone and I'm wondering what is the simplest, easiest way to set up a sysem in which I take a picture, upload it to a site, and that site is viewable by whoever has the URL.

Any ideas or recs?

I have SprintPCS and could actually achieve this through their own 'albums' feature, but the only detractor there is that there is no way for my actual phone number to not be displayed.

Is the above scenario then feasbile without a laptop in the equation? (I'll be mobile)

I have a pretty feature-heavy phone, but it doesn't run any of the PDA OSs, in case someone was going to recommend any of the photo-blogging software available on those.

Zaphod - thanks a lot, I think Flickr could work. I don't have a client on phone, only webmail, and it doesn't allow for attachements I don't believe. But I can email photos and clips directly to whatever email address, so I think it might fill the roll competently enough. I'll try it out!

De nada. Glad to be of assistance.

I actually hacked together a (rather ineffective) photo sharing system based on FTP uploads and a Perl script polling the upload directory for changes and generating thumbnail pages when I got my first Symbian cameraphone several years ago (Nokia 3650). Kinda' lost interest in it before the whole blogging-fad started, though.

I don't plan to do it regularly, but I have need of it for the coming week. By the way, do you know if Flickr supports any kind of 'auto watermarking' or anything else to that effect?

I would have suggested to program something yourself using PHP.... I've done some things like in the past and it's fairly easy and straight forward to do....

@Phil: You're right about that, but it's been a long time since I coded *anything.* I guess I just wanted the lazy way out... I hadn't even considered making my own script. I could probably have found an existent one pretty easily also. Ah well.

@Zaphod: Well it's not that I'm worried about useage, rather to denote affiliation. I know it's weird sounding, but it's basically because the site I'd be associated with during this period of time is going through some redesign right now, and I'll be uploading remotely to an independent blog. Still though, I wondered if I'd be able to basically 'affiliate' the photos via the site logo.

It's no big deal in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
@Phil: You're right about that, but it's been a long time since I coded *anything.* I guess I just wanted the lazy way out... I hadn't even considered making my own script. I could probably have found an existent one pretty easily also. Ah well.

Well if you want to go down that route, I could give lead you in the right direction. I just did a script a few weeks ago that checks an email address for MMS picture-messages (obviously the MMS is sent to an email address) and downloads them...

Anyway, I've been "working" (rather planning) on my own website (or rather photo-blog) for some time now, but just didn't get around to really to do some *actual* work on it yet. Perhaps I'll make it possible for outsiders (well friends) to register and start their own blog.

xbdestroya said:
@Zaphod: Well it's not that I'm worried about useage, rather to denote affiliation. I know it's weird sounding, but it's basically because the site I'd be associated with during this period of time is going through some redesign right now, and I'll be uploading remotely to an independent blog. Still though, I wondered if I'd be able to basically 'affiliate' the photos via the site logo.
Right. Apart from programming it yourself on the server-side, I don't know then. Sorry. Would have been easy with a Symbian or Windows Mobile smartphone, but...

If you create a blogger account that the site you are working with links to, then flickr can automatically post to the blogger account. You can even host your blogger account on your own site so the domain etc will stay the same.

CC

Back