Ubisoft announces Assassin's Creed (formerly Project Assassin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanio

Legend
Lots o' announcements today

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148726.html

Ubisoft gave visitors to last year's Tokyo Game Show a glimpse at a next-gen action title it referred to as Project Assassins. The project has a new name and details today, as the publisher announced that it is bringing Assassin's Creed to the PlayStation 3.

Set in 1191 AD at the height of the Third Crusade for the Holy Land, Assassin's Creed puts players in the silent shoes of Altair and gives them the opportunity "to shape events during this pivotal moment in history." Altair is presumably a member of a group of ruthless assassins whose plan is to bring an end to the bitter struggle by striking out at both warring parties.

And just like the Crusades, Assassin's Creed is all set to spawn sequels. The company refers to Assassin's Creed as "the first game" of a new franchise that will make its debut at next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Word is that this game is looking incredibly hot. The context is intriguing too. Can't wait to see it.

the old chainmail video from ages ago is still impressive to watch. I'll be looking out for this game :)

Um... That's interesting. Like Rainbow Six Vegas Ubi neglects to mention this is coming to the 360 as well... (according to dev on GAF).

Deepblue said:
Um... That's interesting. Like Rainbow Six Vegas Ubi neglects to mention this is coming to the 360 as well... (according to dev on GAF).

"It isn't a PS3 exclusive, it was announced at X05 for the 360 along with Brothers In Arms (which until that point had only been announced for the PS3 aswell)"

So, what the hell is wrong with Ubisoft?

Video!

http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/

It's a mix of the original teaser plus what looks like some gameplay footage (guy scaling a wall and then sneaking up behind an enemy and taking him out - this bit looks awesome. after that, it's hard to know what's in-engine or not!).

Also, the official release:

Ubisoft’s Award-Winning Montreal Studio Creates New Intellectual Property

Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced the development of a new video game franchise: Assassin’s Creed. Assassin’s Creed is being developed for PlayStation 3 by an all-star team from Ubisoft’s world-class Montreal studio – the studio responsible for acclaimed franchises such as Prince of Persia and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell. The Assassin’s Creed franchise will combine compelling new gameplay, superb graphics, and an immersive and sophisticated storyline to deliver an epic experience that will launch the action genre into the next generation and beyond.

“Assassin’s Creed is going to push the video game experience as we know it today into an entirely new direction,†said Yannis Mallat, chief executive officer at Ubisoft’s Montreal studio. “Assassin’s Creed’s compelling theme and storyline experienced through the next-generation console will captivate audiences and affect them on the same level as an epic novel or film.â€

The first game in the Assassin’s Creed franchise is set in 1191 AD, when the Third Crusade was tearing the Holy Land apart. Shrouded in secrecy and feared for their ruthlessness, the Assassins intend to stop the hostilities by suppressing both sides of the conflict. Players, assuming the role of the main character Altair, will have the power to throw their immediate environment into chaos and to shape events during this pivotal moment in history.

Ubisoft has a strong record of creating some of the industry’s top-selling video game franchises and anticipates that Assassin’s Creed will experience the same success.

“Ubisoft has established itself as a creative force in the video game industry by developing new intellectual property and turning it into multimillion-unit selling brands,†said Serge Hascoet, chief creative officer at Ubisoft. “Our goal to introduce three new brands into the marketplace every two years is working. With Assassin’s Creed we’re introducing a franchise that will establish itself as the must-have next-generation game for the next-generation gamer.â€

The first game in the Assassin’s Creed franchise will make its worldwide debut at E3 in Los Angeles and will be available to consumers in 2007. For more information and the trailer, please visit www.assassinscreed.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the trailer reminds me of the assets used for the GRAW opening credits trailer which was not in game and much higher quality than we'll likely see. It looked like there may have been a little section there of representive gameplay (as T pointed out, climbing the wall and sneaking up to the guy).

looks pretty cool and reminds me that it will be a sneaker game like Thief, but the Crusades adds a pretty serious theme.

Deepblue said:

The announcement was made in JAPAN.

Now, if you were going to make a big game announement in Japan, would you focus on the PS3, or would you make sure everyone knew it was a 360 game as well?

I'm quite certain if the announcement had been made in the US to the US market the 360 version would have been mentioned. Ubisoft is simply focusing attention on the product that will generate them the most sales in Japan, which is the PS3 version of the game. This is marketing 101. Tailor your comments for your market.

Powder - this announcement was made today, not in Japan. It was a general Ubisoft release. I don't know why they'd only mention PS3, as I'm sure there'll be a 360 version, but that's the way it is for now. Maybe PS3 is their target platform, or maybe at most it's a timed exclusive, but I've little doubt it'll also be on 360.

agreed that is probably multiplatform considering the 360 success for UBI.

Very strange release though, similar to the BiA3 in which they mentioned only PS3 and then had a seperate press release that stated that is was for X360.

Maybe the PS3 team released this and perhaps there is a concurrent X360 team and they will make an announcement too?

Tap In said:
Maybe the PS3 team released this and perhaps there is a concurrent X360 team and they will make an announcement too?

I don't think teams within Ubi make individual announcements like that.

Here's what an Ubi rep on IGN's boards has to say about the trailer - it's target footage, with in-game assets. It also hints again at the status of the game, though, in terms of platforms or focus:

Whats this? An Assassins game? grin

What you see is a target trailer. In essence, we take the specs of the PS3 and create a target video for how we think the game will run based off those specs. (We don't have the final cell processors and stuff like that so we develop "target footage"). This is in contrast to cinematic trailers that we used to make for games like PoP.

All elements are in game tho - models, city, etc.

I'm still under embargo to speak about the game but I will say this - If we do not win Game of Show or, at the very least, nomiated for game of show - I'd be surprised.

Titanio said:
I don't think teams within Ubi make individual announcements like that.

Here's what an Ubi rep on IGN's boards has to say about the trailer - it's target footage, with in-game assets. It also hints again at the status of the game, though, in terms of platforms or focus:
interesting

makes me wonder then (again) that either there are two seperate teams working on the game for both plats and the PS3 one is the one that is closer to show ready now OR it's not coming to X360 OR it will be created later from this version (ported). Either way, it appears (again) like UBIsoft is at the head of the line in Next Gen graphics. :D

not sure how good this info is but:

"Singling out Ubisoft for praise, Moore also revealed that two PlayStation 3 games from the publisher would also be coming to the Xbox 360: Gearbox-developed WWII shooter Brothers in Arms 3 (tentative), and the still-mysterious Project Assassin, which looks like a bloodier version of Thief."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6134969.html?sid=6134969

I currently playing through Prince of Persia, The Sands of Time for the first time on the PS2, and what an amazing game interms of control and graphics. Can't wait to see what these guys are working on. I'm sure graphically it will be incredible.

There is no doubt that these games are coming to the 360. Either concurrently with the PS3 release or a short time after (with bonus levels), so either way I'll be happy.

Ubisoft was one of the strongest supporters of he original Xbox, I doubt they'd abandon the majority of their fanbase like that.

fulcizombie said:
Yep,these are all ps3 exclusives.I mean after the horrible sales of GRAW on the 360 why would Ubisoft release these games for the xbox360???

Some of you are reallyyyyyyyyyy reaching.....

huh? :???:
Who claimed it as an exclusive?The guys pointed out that Ubisoft avoided to mention 360 when its coming out for it too

WTF on some internet sides you can find new scans from latest OXM ( i think) with interview with dev about x360 and few new screens from Rainbow six so how it can be ps3 exclusive?? and alair graw sold very well on x360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back