Nintendo PLEASE, immerse me in your Wii come E3! (rant?)

Guden Oden

Legend
I don't care about the name anymore. I just want to finally hear EVERYTHING about it. Don't hold back, let me bathe in Wii information, I need it.

(Besides, it's good for the skin.)

Funny, I didn't think of myself as much of a Nintendo F-boy anymore. I got older, and I got Sony and MS consoles after all too. Didn't really matter! :D My excitement is clearly highest for the little squirt of the trio, despite its technical weakness. Considering GC devkits were once proposed to be used as Wii substitutes by Nintendo, it seems pretty clear that both platforms share common guts, I can always hope tho that improvements have been made along the way. That the fancy-pants hollywood/broadway names stand for something more than just a clock speed bump and a sprinkle of extra RAM. If not GC on steroids, so at least on vitamins...

Yes, I will be disappointed if the only difference is speed and RAM. I guess that really does make me a F-boy. Then again, I'll be annoyed too if Sony releases PS3 with even ONE less USB port than shown last year. ;) So hopefully I'll at least be a mentally balanced F-boy!

It's hard to say exactly why I should feel so giddy/eager over this thing. At one point I was shocked/angry at it because it wouldn't be a technological masterpiece. Then came denial, acceptance, as is usual. ;) It can't be just the Apple-inspired exterior. It has to be something more. Mostly, I think it's Nintendo's deep commitment to playability, coupled with the weirdo controller. Mario64 really pushed the bounds ten years ago with introducing players to new techniques and allowing for experimentation and "soft" mistakes. Few games really manage this as well as Nintendo does, even those that take the bother of introducing the player to the environment and the interface. If they do, it's often in a much more heavy-handed tutorial kind of way. Here I point at Black and White (2) as a warning example... "Now spin to the left... Good. Now spin to the right..." And then I feel petulant and rebellious and start screwing up on purpose just to fuck with the stupid and annoying drill sergeant slash good conscience slash silly man on a cloud. And like a drill sergeant in real life, he forces me to do the exercise over, and over, and OVER, until I've done exactly what he says and lets me move on.

Nintendo games don't work like that. They let you discover things on your own along with hints just by normal exploration of the game. That's how you do it. The new controller will probably change the way we interface with games in ways we can't quite comprehend right now. Ok, so this statement requires a ****** alert I guess. It's nebulous speculation, I admit. I still believe though, that it's not immediately obvious how this new opportunity will play out in the future, but that the potential is extremely great. ...Depending on how well the motion detection works in real life that is of course. By purposefully limiting the number of standard input methods (sticks and buttons), playstyles will HAVE to change and adapt. Personally I can't STAND dual analog movement and aiming in FPSes for example. It SUCKS IMO, circle strafing and even just moving while aiming and firing becomes an annoying exercise in frustration.

On the other hand, I can totally see how a Wii-centric redesigned movement scheme would be much more natural, not to mention accurate. Assume you have a crosshair on the screen representing the spot you aim at. Pointing the wand around moves the crosshair, which, when you reach the edge of the screen, turns you around. Tilting the controller might lean you left and right to peek around corners. The stick on the attachment controls movement and strafing, jumping could be done by moving the attachment for example. While straight forward jumps are typically - and perhaps easiest - incorporated into a straight button press, if jumping is instead performed by "jostling" the attachment, jumping could instead be a much more integral part of the gameplay, rather than as a means to pass minor obstacles obstructing the player's path as is typically the case. Mix in some melee martial arts perhaps, or Matrix-style dodging of bullets...

Motion is after all much more natural for us than sitting still and pressing buttons.

Then again, all my giddyness (and the reasons for it) simply doesn't affect those who plain don't like Nintendo and their games, haha. I don't mind that. I'm used to people dissing Nintendo, heck, I had to during the N64 days when Nintendo was stuck in its old ways and Sony stole all the thunder and glory with its PS.

I just wish...for more Wii. Don't you?

While PS3 is still no.1 on my excitement scale. Wii comes close second.
The last, and only Nintendo console I've owned was N64, and although I only had some 5 games for it, and of those only Mario 64 was that I liked a lot, I keep on having this unexplained draw towards Nintendo games and consoles.
I wanted a GameCube, but never got myself to buy one although there always seemed to be a game or two I would've really liked to play, same with DS.

The Wii is getting me exited again, but it isn't just the novel control method, it's again something I can't explain. Maybe it's just the strong image and the strong characters and generally that Nintendo does have that certain air of unigueness and innovativeness around it that I find appealing.

a console is as great as you let your imagination lets it be.

for some the Wii is just a underpowered console (gamecube 1.5 with a dvd slot , a nunchuk wiggelstick and a normal gamecube controller and wifi cababilities) for the other its tne next best thing besides free sex and bread..

Love is good love is great

welcome E3 we are waiting :)

I just wish.... Nintendo knows what they are doing and the Wii isnt that start of something awfull in the industry but thats just my 2cents

Guden Oden said:
It's hard to say exactly why I should feel so giddy/eager over this thing. At one point I was shocked/angry at it because it wouldn't be a technological masterpiece. Then came denial, acceptance, as is usual. ;) It can't be just the Apple-inspired exterior. It has to be something more. Mostly, I think it's Nintendo's deep commitment to playability, coupled with the weirdo controller. Mario64 really pushed the bounds ten years ago with introducing players to new techniques and allowing for experimentation and "soft" mistakes. Few games really manage this as well as Nintendo does, even those that take the bother of introducing the player to the environment and the interface. If they do, it's often in a much more heavy-handed tutorial kind of way. Here I point at Black and White (2) as a warning example... "Now spin to the left... Good. Now spin to the right..." And then I feel petulant and rebellious and start screwing up on purpose just to fuck with the stupid and annoying drill sergeant slash good conscience slash silly man on a cloud. And like a drill sergeant in real life, he forces me to do the exercise over, and over, and OVER, until I've done exactly what he says and lets me move on.

Actually, I kind of relate to that. When the first comments from Nintendo about 3x more powerful started coming (from P. Kaplan if I remember correctly) I was in denial, I thought that she was judging from the looks and being a PR person she'd not know what she's talking about. Gradually, I started feeling disappointed. Granted the unveiling of the design was nice, it looked slick but then again I thought that dropping out from the gfx race was a bad decision. Coupled with the slowly ebbing flow of above average GCN games I decided that the GCN was the last Nintendo console I'd ever buy - I still remembered the drought of quality games on the N64 late in its cycle.

But somehow the TGS presentation (unveilling of the controller) changed my mind again. The controller shows promise and I am willing to give Nintendo more than the benefit of doubt again. To me Nintendo is all about an intuitive approach to gaming: You start their games and immediately you'll know how to use the controls. You'll just drop into the action, you don't have to get used to the game, you just start gaming. It feels very natural - this is not meant to badmouth games with complex controls.

The new controller seems like an extension of their design philosophy and, if it'll implemented the right way, games on the Wii will be easy to pick up and play. The TGS trailer definitely showed a lot of promise and showcased several -quirky as they may seem -gaming ideas. Sword fights, baseball, music games, cooking. The last one probably takes the crown concerning strange ideas, but who thought that command little Pikmins living in our backyards would be funny.
To sum up, I feel kind of optimistic regardless of the gfx issue and I am really looking forward to seeing the first Wii games.

You know, I'm actually a little concerned about accuracy. Something that I've been mulling (sp?) over in the back of my head is the comment EA made about Madden Wii. Essentially, the REV is 480p, so that means there are 640x480= 307200 pixels on the screen that map to 307200 arbitrarily sized points in space, which is where things get confusing. How exactly are the points going to be mapped? If it's fixed, even with a scale that let's you changed the "size" of the worldly points, you still end up confined to a specific area, which seems restrictive for this kind of setup. Maybe, it doesn't rely on any grid, but rather uses relative positions to calculate directional changes? However, then sensitivity gets kinda wacky in relation to velocity and scale, so you'd end up having to make controlled even smooth movements, which seems far more frustrating than any restrictive grid. That's not to say I don't agree about the natural point. I completely agree (my mental image is having link dodging through a set of enemies, as swing the wiimote back and forth to slash all the enemies and then afterward they all fall in a nice real time movie style sequence), I'm just not so sure how that can be done in such a way so as to not feel restrictive. I imagine it'll require a LOT of tweaking to feel just right.

Anyway, random thoughts... ... oh, and you really should have used shower instead of immerse. :devilish:

I think the wiimote maps directly to the pixels on the screen about as much as a mouse does - which is not at all.

It sends inputs to the console, which is then up to software to interpret. The exact nature of these inputs is probably only something Nintendo and its devs know, so I can only speculate. I'd guess it's stuff like angle to the sensor bar (x/y, I assume, perhaps also distance), we know it has a tilt sensor so it would know that, then the accelerometers would detect force and direction.

Remember, it's not a lightgun. If it was, it would only work on standard TVs anyway. It most likely can't detect individual pixels directly, not from the way we know it works anyway.

I'm also very excited about Wii and PS3 second,but I'm more concerned with Nintendo making a must keep rather than a must have system. In other words after the initial honeymoon and excitement is over,will a get a steady diet of good games over the long haul.

I'm very excited by the Wii too. After all, nowadays my DS gets much more of my playtime than all my other systems combined (Xbox, XBox360, NGC, PS2, PSP). I really hope Nintendo has a good E3 showing, and does not try to keep too much ammo for later.

Guden Oden said:
I think the wiimote maps directly to the pixels on the screen about as much as a mouse does - which is not at all.
Exactly. Same as an analogue stick, it just provides values for inputs for the programmer to use as they see fit.

I share your opinion overall but I guess I still in denial:LOL: , I think that we will see (at least in perception) things that it is closer to next gen than many thought, if we put (like ERP did in the others thread) things in prespective GC is also suposed to be 5-10x slower (6-12M polys against 66M-125M from PS2 and XB) so maybe it (while slower) it will be much closer than most people think.

Nintendo seems to be living off the street-cred from Mario64, since every one of these fan love letters about Wii starts off with how they fell in love with Mario64, kinda how as a youngster, I loved Star Wars and gave Lucas street cred. Well, EPI,II,III fell far short of expectations, and frankly sucked for me. I can still rewatch Empire Strikes Back many times, but I don't think I'll ever watch I/II/III again.

I'm sure Nintendo is going to come up with some interesting and goofy games, like they did with GBA Wario games, the DS NintendoDogs, Electroplankton, etc. They may even have a few killer titles, titles that justify buying the Wii, which is why I'll own one.

That said, the Wii is still the least interesting of the three for me. It's my "side-car" console, my "second console", relegated to that little corner of my HT, probably brought out for party games like the EyeToy, DDR, and Guitar Hero.

winstonsmith1978 said:
So what games does everyone think they'll show?

Zelda or Metroid Prime will be the ones to display the wiimote's qualities, IMO. I really don't think there'll be a nongimmicky use for mario. I mean, the man just jumps!! What can they do? Maybe, they'll give mario a grappling hook? Bionic Mario?

Reggie Fils-Aime talked about a racing IP in an interview just recently. Waverave Wii?

winstonsmith1978 said:
So what games does everyone think they'll show?

My personal predition is that it will be about 1/3 games from Nintendo (2 big names that can show off the FHC), 1/3 new IPs (both Nintendo and 3rd party), in a total of 8-12 games.

Back