Developers, what are some of the craziest things you seen or heard about?

dskneo said:
well... keep going

Quite often developers get sent random game ideas or CVs - mostly they're nothing remarkable and go straight in the bin (sorry if that shatters anyone's illusions :) )

In the UK however, occasionally a developer will see something quite special - an original concept from *the* Dennis Greenidge. He's self-styled artist/designer/visionary.

It's happened to many companies - every one an original creation. Sometimes we UK developers get together in secret to exchange copies of these masterpieces. Somewhere on a forgotten hard-drive I have a reasonable collection (which if I knew a good image host and I could actually remember what I did with them, I could post). I expect many have been tragically lost forever by a producer who just didn't realise what he had in his hand and binned it with the rest of the daily spam.

Either we don't quite get his genius, or he's just barking mad.

His designs mostly consist of a single page of paper, scrawled on in felt-tip pen, coloured pencils or maybe crayon. There will be some surreal character, a title and one-line sub heading that seems to be the entirity of the "design" and (sensibly) always a clear indication that this is the work of Dennis Greenidge himself and not some wannabe.

You'd be forgiven for assuming this was the work of a 7-year old with ADHD, but looking closer you can see that in fact this is from the mind and hand of a full grown adult - just one unlike any other. Also, there was actually a mini-documentary made about the chap. Apparently he doesn't limit himself to game designs and actually makes little computer animations and music...

He's certainly creative, I'll give him that.

I've done a couple of searches and not found much.... I'll see if I can dig out my stash if anyone is interested.

Minter's forum got a thread about Dennis Greenidge:
http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=25530

ZARGOMAN.jpg

KRONOSES.jpg

In the UK however, occasionally a developer will see something quite special - an original concept from *the* Dennis Greenidge. He's self-styled artist/designer/visionary.
I'll give this Greenidge guy one thing. He can draw up a design ten times more thoroughly than the creature. I have, lying around in a binder somewhere, the original draft of the one and only "level design" drawn up by the creature (this is separate from its own personal game design doc, though, where it proposed missions involving you destroying the World Trade Center after "Hitler II" takes over it).

The drawing consisted on small circle on the left. A box about the same size filled with Xs (Its idea of crosshatch shading, I guess). And a much smaller circle on the right. The circle on the left has a line going to the very small circle on the right and from there, another line to the box in between them. The circle on the left is marked "ship"... the box is marked "planet" and the very small circle is marked "sun." And THAT... is it.

The concept itself is supposed to be one that involves you in a dogfight in space leading over to the surface of the sun. You run around on foot on the surface of the sun to fight this boss character, which, when defeated exposes a "stargate" which teleports you to the planet you were trying to reach, which just so happened to be halfway between the sun and where you started. So why didn't you just land on the planet in the first place? Well, aside from the fact that you're "supposed to" fight the boss character anyway for some inexplicable reason, it just so happens that your ship is not equipped for the stresses of atmospheric re-entry. Instead, it's shields are only sturdy enough to deal with landing on stars... and apparently teleportation through a stargate...

Last edited by a moderator:
You see? This is the type of conversation I want to hear from non playable characters in a video game. That projector one, reminds me of the kind of stuff in Perfect Dark or the Max Payne “Wheres the DETANATORS?” stuff.

Damn, the proyector one would’ve been a perfect match for Splinter Cell 1 CIA level.

Seriously you should put that in a game, and make sure the conversation ends with the abrupt death of the “creature” character.

ChryZ said:

Nothing beats Zargoman. In fact, his biceps is so big that he can wear hoolahoops as bracelets. And nobody laughs about Kronoses after he takes a spin in his laundromat torture unit. :LOL:

ShootMyMonkey said:
Creature : "Whatever... A programmer thing, then. Anyway, the muzzle flashes are key to this game. When you get right down to it, all games need to be all about the special effects. Without that, you have nothing. You can't call it a game."
Me : "Right, I keep forgetting that's why Mario was such a financial failure."
Creature : "Right, exactly. Anyway, can you see how to shut this damn projector off?"

Ahhahahahaha...:LOL: that one takes the cake. "Right, exactly."

The Quantum Hitler on a flying Harley

That would be a nice game :D

Now now.. that i think about it, we better hide this thing otherwise ppl at ID software might actually design such a "monster" and put it in D4, ofc, it would come out from a closet after you got the unhappy trigger.

PS: I know ShootMyMonkey wrote "is a flying hurley" but "on a flying hurley" sounds pretty neat.

At least the creature's chrome fixation had waned somewhat by the time it suggested the whole "Quantum Hitler" thing. During the first 9 months or so, it couldn't stop raving about chrome and the need to make everything out of chrome because everything in the future would be shiny and futuristic, even in a war zone. Of course, its infantile preoccupation with things that glow never waned. It still insisted that spies and snipers of the future should glow, else "they're not functional." Yes, it even went on to try and prove that Tron is the ultimate spy, because he "looks like power rods."

(this is separate from its own personal game design doc, though, where it proposed missions involving you destroying the World Trade Center after "Hitler II" takes over it).

classy

ChryZ would you happen to have a working link to the Greenidge Mean vid referenced in the YakYak thread? It seems to me that his drawings aren't so much merely concept art but screencaps of various sagas traversing his mind. Shame the interview they had planned doesn't seem to have materialized.

It : See? It's that simple. You have some brains after all. Now... go drink some coffee, 'cuz you need to wake up, man.[/QUOTE]

:LOL:

@ Shootmymonkey : These are some of the funniest experiences I've ever heard of. And a mega LOL at you refering to him as "the creature " :LOL:

Those Dennis Greenidge drawings are incredible. I'd love it if some oddball dev like American McGee for example compiled as many of his designs as possible and actually assembled them and made a real game out of them.

Would probably end up being some kind of strange, bizarre Lucasarts point'n'click thingy, except maybe played in 3rd person 3D instead since that's how adventure games have to be made these days. :)

*Edit: Btw... Good ol' Chaphack would have LOVED "its" game design. One word: shiny shine! (Erm, well, two words really.)

For the record, I didn't posted the Dennis Greenidge stuff to mug him. I like quirky. His work reminds me (in a good way) of Katamari Damacy, LocoRoco, Gitaroo Man, WarioWare and the rest of the unconventional lot. Space Strawberries FTW!

Guden Oden said:
Those Dennis Greenidge drawings are incredible. I'd love it if some oddball dev like American McGee for example compiled as many of his designs as possible and actually assembled them and made a real game out of them.

Would probably end up being some kind of strange, bizarre Lucasarts point'n'click thingy, except maybe played in 3rd person 3D instead since that's how adventure games have to be made these days. :)

*Edit: Btw... Good ol' Chaphack would have LOVED "its" game design. One word: shiny shine! (Erm, well, two words really.)

:oops: Only logical solution to this problem... The creature is Chap!!! That explains evvryfink!!11

Funny, chap came to my mind too from the "creature's" obsession with shine :D
I guess we'll never be able to forget him...

ChryZ said:
For the record, I didn't posted the Dennis Greenidge stuff to mug him. I like quirky. His work reminds me (in a good way) of Katamari Damacy, LocoRoco, Gitaroo Man, WarioWare and the rest of the unconventional lot. Space Strawberries FTW!

I've probably worked with worse designers than DG might have been... probably rather not take the chance though :)

Back