Developers, what are some of the craziest things you seen or heard about?

ShootMyMonkey said:
All right, all right... I guess people are waiting for another story...

Might as well tell you guys about before the creature hired any of us. As you've probably guessed by now, the creature is a being of excessive ego and assumes that its wealth is the mark of its capability to do anything. So in the very beginning, it believed that it could make a game on its own without any programming or art staff. Considering that its only knowledge of the game industry at this point was that fact that it had played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and heard how much money it made. The creature at this point figured -- "Hey, that's easy money! I could do this!" and decided to try and make one, and then realized within 10 minutes that it had no clue what it was doing.

Anyway, the creature decided to go around and pitch its idea to publishers before even hiring anybody. So here's the original game design before any of the rest of us got our hands on it and actually turned it into something with a mild measure of creativity.

You are a 14-year old kid in the distant future. You come home, and after finishing your homework, you decide to crank out a few hours of gameplay in your holodeck. Yes... you have a holodeck in your home. Anyway, there are a number of programs ready to go waiting for you to use, and because it's a holodeck, it allows you to simulate all sorts of games in all sorts of settings. This will range from a WWII setting, to fighting dinosaurs, to a dogfight in spacecraft, a modern-day war on the ground with "energy" weapons...

And then, for the final level, you get to have some real fun by combining all the programs into one jumble -- where you run around on the surface of the sun fighting a boss character, who happens to be Hitler riding atop a T-Rex, which has photon torpedo launchers on either side of its head.

The creature pitched this idea to Microsoft, apparently stressing the importance of the "holodeck" construct and how immeasurably valuable it is to include Hitler in the game... and got the following response from the rep on the phone...
"Your ideas are incoherent, trite, cliche, derivative, they directly rip off other games and movies, and they flat out suck. In fact, we would gladly PAY you not to ever call back."

How do I know this? Well that leads into another story. This involves the fact that the creature had lying around, a pirated copy of the Xbox XDK. The creature thinking that this was actually a legal copy (in spite of the fact that the caption read "contains official leaked documentation"), it meant that we could develop on Xbox. After several weeks of explaining to it that even if it was a legal copy, this alone only meant we had the software -- we didn't have any devkits, and the red tape involved in Xbox development meant signing up as a registered developer and going through formal submission processes and so on.

Well, it decided that I should look into Xbox developer registration, so even though I knew it would be a pointless effort, I did it anyway. Of course, the rep on the phone asked me some questions about the company and the track record and so on... after a little while, the MS rep realized what company I was working for and then uttered in a terrified tone, "Oh my god, you work for that construction guy, don't you? Oooohhhh, no, no, no-ooooo..." And then he proceeded to tell me the whole story of the prior submission.

mouahahahhahahahahahahah, thansk for these story !

mouahahhahahah, dude, it might be a wonderfull experience , so many funny day with your work mate !

are you still in game industry ?

Edge said:
ShootMyMonkey, curious as to why you are calling that guy "creature"?

i presume it's because this guys is so unreal that it can't be a human.
so if he's not an human , it's a creature ;-D

Totally amazed at shootmymonkey's stories, I have a hard time believing they're true but honestly they're so damn funny I don't care.

Where are all the other dev's stories? nAo? DeanoC? Faf? I'm sure Baumman could tell us a thing or two...

shootmymonkey: what was the name of the game you were working on? Did it ever get any "previews" done for it? You have any "in-game" pics of it you can post?

Oh sweet Jebus I've been laughing my ass off at these stories.. absoute gems! Keep it going! Especially enjoyed the numerous Hitler references :)

It would have been justified to stab it with a pencil into its brain through the eyeball .... as an act of self-defense!

I can't personally vouch for ShootMyMonkey's posts - but I can believe them, because if I was feeling more brave I could post similar or worse tales... I'll stick to ones less likely to get me sued though.

A company I worked at a while back once employed a particularly gifted programmer who was regarded by many as kind of the official office guru. He was unhappy at the wages (rightfully so I might add, he wasn't being at all unreasonable) and wanted a small increase of 2-3% to bring him in line with others. The company ignored him and eventually he left, with them making no effort to stop him. Then we had to pay about 15% more in wages to employ a replacement, as well as forking out for the agent fees. The replacement wasn't nearly as good.

We had a CD burner that only worked if you ran a particular desktop clock at the same time.

I had a marketing dude break the network because he thought you could just plug it all together like lego (this was in the days of 10-base-2 networks).

I've had more that one designer get carried away when we've mentioned putting physics into games. One assumed that this meant he could have a fuel truck at the top of a hill, shoot a hole in the side of it, have the fuel trickle down the hill, and then light the fuel to have fire travel back up the hill and make it explode. Automatically. With no progammer intervention required. (and while this might actually become semi-feasible soon, this was suggested something like 10 years ago). Yeah dude, because when we say physics we mean we're using an atomic-level simulation of the entire world...

I never again want to hear the phrase "I don't care if it's impossible, I've already told marketing so you just have to write it".

Another company I used to work for once had to fire a bunch of people. They took them all into one room, left us in another, and told us both simultaneously what was happening. Half way through the "so, the guys in the other room are being made redundant, but don't worry - your jobs are safe" talk, the boss stopped, looked up, and said (name changed to protect the innocent) "Oh - sorry Bob, you're in the wrong room". Harsh.

Random tale of personal stupidity:

I once made myself some chips (that would by "fries" for the non-UK folks) in the evening at home, and forgot to turn the frier off. Then I went to work the next morning. Then I did an all-nighter to get stuff finished, and eventually only returned home in the late afternoon. Fortunately my house hadn't burnt down - instead I was the proud owner of my very own pot of smelly tar. I've been eating much healthier since though :)

MrWibble said:
I once made myself some chips (that would by "fries" for the non-UK folks) in the evening at home, and forgot to turn the frier off. Then I went to work the next morning. Then I did an all-nighter to get stuff finished, and eventually only returned home in the late afternoon. Fortunately my house hadn't burnt down - instead I was the proud owner of my very own pot of smelly tar. I've been eating much healthier since though :)
Didn't you notice the smell of smouldering oil in the morning?

Oh my god this is the best thread in the last few years. ShootMyMonkey, u're the best.

And really, i cannot believe how insane that guy is, i'm of the idea he is constantly under the influence of "something". Wouldn't surprise me in the least, a millionaire with a company doing what he knows nothing about... Typical coke-head case...

Squeak said:
Didn't you notice the smell of smouldering oil in the morning?

I was already sleep deprived and late for work with a mountain of work to do - so pretty much I just got up and left without going near the kitchen...

ShootMyMonkey, curious as to why you are calling that guy "creature"?
Quite simply because my hatred for it (and there are other stories I've avoided that would be a lot less funny and a lot more appalling) had mounted to the point where I could no longer refer to it as a human being. I can't even use pronouns that might signify it as a living creature. It's been a while since I've actually thought about it, though, so I'd kind of put it in the past.

are you still in game industry ?
Never left the industry. At least now, I'm at a real company. And actually, the first post I made in this thread weren't at the creature's company. I don't have any really weird stories yet about the company I'm currently at. Everything is pretty normal here.

Totally amazed at shootmymonkey's stories, I have a hard time believing they're true but honestly they're so damn funny I don't care.
I think I made have made one mistake earlier where I mixed up two separate conversations into one, but the content itself is true. That and the octagon one -- it was such a long exchange that my memory of it was not 100% complete... there was obviously stuff I was missing in there. When you get right down to it, though, the creature is not that unique of a... being. Some rich guy is just full of himself... arrogant to the point that he believes he's better than anybody and everybody... thinks everything he touches turns to gold. Really not that out of the ordinary.

but I can believe them, because if I was feeling more brave I could post similar or worse tales... I'll stick to ones less likely to get me sued though.
Well, that's kind of why I've avoided names. Kept away from anything too specific that gave away anybody's identities. In any case, that was one company where I never had to sign any NDAs, so I could even go through stuff on the development side of things.

shootmymonkey: what was the name of the game you were working on? Did it ever get any "previews" done for it? You have any "in-game" pics of it you can post?
Well, like I said, I'm staying away from names. In any case, that game went through so many names that I don't think anything was finalized (not that they ever could be, what with the creature's horrid short term memory and tendency to have a new "thought" on what we should be doing on a day-to-day basis). And yes, I do have screensnaps and some various video captures, but the darn thing was so early in its stages of development that they're hardly worth mentioning. Finding them would involve digging through mountains of discs, though. I also have the full source code lying around.

No we never did any sort of "previews" or "trailers." Though I was supposed to be working on the music for a trailer, which is something I never actually finished. I was using garbage samples anyway. Yes, it was stupid to be worrying about a trailer at that stage, but the creature never had any brain cells anyway, and it's useless to argue with an idiot.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Quite simply because my hatred for it (and there are other stories I've avoided that would be a lot less funny and a lot more appalling) had mounted to the point where I could no longer refer to it as a human being. I can't even use pronouns that might signify it as a living creature. It's been a while since I've actually thought about it, though, so I'd kind of put it in the past.

Does that mean you killed/maimed/tortured/something'd it? ;)

ShootMyMonkey said:

And then, for the final level, you get to have some real fun by combining all the programs into one jumble -- where you run around on the surface of the sun fighting a boss character, who happens to be Hitler riding atop a T-Rex, which has photon torpedo launchers on either side of its head.

That's the most absurd and funniest thing I've ever heard. But remember both photon torpedoes come from one muzzle only. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about you guys, but i REALLY want to hear another story about it........ Go on ShootMyMonkey... Just one more!! :D

hupfinsgack said:
That's the most absurd and funniest thing I've ever heard. But remember both photon torpedoes come from one muzzle only. :LOL:

I assume everyone already knows the legend that is Dennis Greenidge?

Does that mean you killed/maimed/tortured/something'd it?
I'd thought about it. But no... I'm not crazy. On top of it all, the creature seemed to think I actually liked it. I did get used to screaming at the top of my lungs, though. The security in the building got around to the point where they started quipping about "those poor saps on the 6th floor." However, they were concerned with the fact that each of our office rooms had an open balcony on the 6th floor with no railing -- quite easy to jump.

But remember both photon torpedoes come from one muzzle only.
No!!! It's supposed to come from all the muzzles at the same time, but all the muzzles are in one place! Haven't you been paying attention?!? Geez. :LOL:

I don't suppose it got any near to building that Holodeck?
No... it's not capable of anything. And by the time we got our hands on the design, it became something along the lines of a BF1942 in a futuristic setting that involved a little more variety in its character classes so that we'd have FPS gameplay and 3rd-person melee gameplay and vehicle combat.

Go on ShootMyMonkey... Just one more!!
The creature, at one point borrowed someone's projector apparently for some hearing, and wanted my help because it managed after about 15 minutes of fiddling with it... how to turn it on. But at that point, it didn't know how to turn the projector off. And after I got there, the creature went off on a tangent regarding the importance of the size of muzzle flashes, and that laws should be set in place to illegalize games that don't have muzzle flashes and at least one gun made of chrome (yes, seriously)...

Questioning why we, at the time, didn't allow scaling of muzzle flashes so that they could be exceedingly large, the creature brought up its pirated copy of Call of Duty in order to show me what muzzle flashes should be like.

Part of that conversation (names replaced with roles) --
Me : "Well, that's going to have to wait because [Physics Guy]'s Karma wrappers currently assume that all models are going to have ragdoll assets assigned to them, so scaling is a problem. Scaling and rigid bodies don't go together. So until he checks in his next big change so that models without the solid flag set are not t-- "
Creature : "What? Did you say something? I wasn't listening. I was concentrating on how good this looks."
Me : "Right. I should have known."
Creature : "Well, that is the bigger issue at hand... the muzzle flashes."
Me : "And that's what I was talking about, but I guess there's no point bothering to say anything while you're drooling at pretty pictures."
Creature : "Really? Was I drooling?"
Me : "Figure of speech."
Creature : "Whatever, just explain it to me."
Me : "Again for the 5th time..."
Creature : "It doesn't matter how many times."
Me : "Well, yeah, I noticed that, too." ¬___¬
Creature : "Why are you looking at me like that?"
Me : "You'll probably never know."
Creature : "Whatever... A programmer thing, then. Anyway, the muzzle flashes are key to this game. When you get right down to it, all games need to be all about the special effects. Without that, you have nothing. You can't call it a game."
Me : "Right, I keep forgetting that's why Mario was such a financial failure."
Creature : "Right, exactly. Anyway, can you see how to shut this damn projector off?"
Me : "Right, right..."
Creature : "See? I've got a lot of stuff to put on your table today."
Me : "Gee, don't I feel privileged."
Creature : "Well, you should considering who's showing it to you."
Me : "By the way, your projector's off now."
Creature : "Huh? What? How did you do that?"
Me : "I double-clicked 'Yes' when it asked me if I wanted to shut it off."
Creature : "Ahhh... See? Two heads are better than one."
Me : "Huh?!??? Uuuuuuhhhh... okay."

ShootMyMonkey said:
Never left the industry. At least now, I'm at a real company. And actually, the first post I made in this thread weren't at the creature's company. I don't have any really weird stories yet about the company I'm currently at. Everything is pretty normal here.
Do you find the normalcy boring or refreshing?

Back