Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

c0_re said:
No offence but woopdee doo you want to whip out our units and measure, I travel around the world setting up Airline reservation systems and work hand in hand with developers on a daily basis, I've spent many hours in Microsoft and Cisco labs and I've worked with both microshaft and sony on a professional level. I could send pics of my view from fat office on the 30th floor but THIS IS THE INTERNET NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT CRAP!

Bingo!!

My company has tens of extremely high profile clients whom i "have contact with". Doesn't mean i am more qualified than other people in matters that don't concern me. You should take the same stance. We're in a games forum, you obviously have had no experience developing games. Apparently all you did was setting up databases, and happened to work for MS and Sony on occasions. So what?
I happened to work "in contact" with MS, Virgin, Amex, all major worldwide banks, all major worldwide insurance companies, all major worldwide oil companies, from Shell to BP... Still i don't go round lecturing people on what these companies do, as if i worked with them in departments i obviously never even saw.

You often brag about your wealth and your professional life in here, in very childish way that lead lots of people to believe you're full of it, and also explains why you have the lowest rep in the whole forum. What exactly are you doing in "an internet forum" if you really seem not to care at all about all this, as you're so "above it all", apparently? Do us all a big favour and get out of here, it seems you'll also prefer it like that as you must have lots of "high management" work to do...

Again who cares this doens't change the core argument of someone who is commenting on somthing THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN TRIED FOR THEMSELVES and obvious biased against. Walk out on the street and ask a 100 people weather they'd rahter game in high deffinition or Standard deffinition a 100% of the people will say "well thats a stupid question isn't it?"

This is like saying well watching HDTV vs SDTV isn't any different, when the person saying it has never even used an HDTV.

Fine then set your computer monitor to 640x480 for the rest of the day and tell me how much work you get done and how pretty your monitor works, call me back when you have a migrane headache and your eye's are bleeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
c0_re said:
Again who cares this doens't change the core argument of someone who is commenting on somthing THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN TRIED FOR THEMSELVES

This is like saying well watching HDTV vs SDTV isn't any different, when the person saying it has never even used an HDTV.

Fine then set your computer monitor to 640x480 for the rest of the day and tell me how much work you get done and how pretty your monitor works, call me back when you have a migrane headache and your eye's are bleeding.

Darkblu told you on many instances that he knows very well what HD gaming looks like. If he wants to play in SD, who are you to comment?

london-boy said:
I happened to work "in contact" with MS, Virgin, Amex, all major worldwide banks, all major worldwide insurance companies, all major worldwide oil companies, from Shell to BP... Still i don't go round lecturing people on what these companies do, as if i worked with them in departments i obviously never even saw.

I'll have you know that I happen to have taught remedial algebra to football players for one of the lowest-ranked teams in the SEC! Now let me tell you how to win the Super Bowl...

c0_re, I'll try to say this nicely...but you're on a forum where pretty much everyone is interested in PC hardware predominantly ('cept me). We all know what ridiculously high resolutions (going way beyond 720 lines BTW) look like. For some people (esp ppl with 120" TVs), it's really important. Other people don't care so much. Get over it.

c0_re said:
Walk out on the street and ask a 100 people weather they'd rahter game in high deffinition or Standard deffinition a 100% of the people will say "well thats a stupid question isn't it?"
Round here, I wouldn't be surprised if ahlf didn't know what high definition meant. And if they do, they would ask if you're supplying the HDTV or do they have to buy one themselves, at which point they'll say 'my TV looks okay and if computer games could like real life on a normal TV I'd be all for that.'
If 640x480 causes migraines and makes eyes bleed, it's a wonder TV has been around as long as it has...

c0_re said:
No offence but woopdee doo you want to whip out our units and measure, I travel around the world setting up Airline reservation systems and..

no, for pete's sake, i'd never dare to compare units with a db admin! not when it comes to game graphics!

Shifty Geezer said:
Round here, I wouldn't be surprised if half didn't know what high definition meant.
And that's being generous... I'd be very surprised if half the people i'd ask even knew what "this aitch-dee thing is"... And this is from personal experience from when i was happily going around telling everyone how i bought this new HDTV... All i got was "are you crazy?! 900 quid for a TV!!? what's HD anyway?" and as i was telling them "how much better it looks than normal TV" they had already lost interest...

darkblu said:
no, for pete's sake, i'd never dare to compare units with a db admin! not when it comes to game graphics!

Sorry short of XML\sequel statments for code migrations I have never touched a database, don't assume you have any clue what my job entails, developers come to me to ask how to tailor their code for the real world. Were doin things all the Unix\Oracle and Big Iron\IBM foks swore would never even be possible on windows\Linux x86 clusters.

london-boy said:
And that's being generous... I'd be very surprised if half the people i'd ask even knew what "this aitch-dee thing is"... And this is from personal experience from when i was happily going around telling everyone how i bought this new HDTV... All i got was "are you crazy?! 900 quid for a TV!!? what's HD anyway?" and as i was telling them "how much better it looks than normal TV" they had already lost interest...

OK fair enough but what the heck is the hold up on HDTV across the pond because it's EVERYWHERE here in the states. You guys are ussaully WAY ahead of us in technology, just look at cell phones in Eueope and Asia compared to NA were still in the stone ages as far as that.

c0_re said:
Again who cares this doens't change the core argument of someone who is commenting on somthing THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN TRIED FOR THEMSELVES and obvious biased against.
You don't think he's never played a computer game in a rez higher than 640?

When you figure out what the fundamental difference between playing PC games on a monitor at "768P" or "1024P" versus playing console games on a TV at 720P, you let me know, mmkay?

Walk out on the street and ask a 100 people weather they'd rahter game in high deffinition or Standard deffinition a 100% of the people will say "well thats a stupid question isn't it?"
Actually, I believe most people would look at you kind of funny and ask if you were talking about motorcycles, and what that has to do with playing video games... ;)

Stuff really has to be idiot proof for people to be able to figure them out, and often not even that will be enough. Witness all the reports about 360 demo units hooked up to expensive Samsung flatpanels via component cables with the little switch on the plug still set at the SDTV position... I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't even really see the difference between SDTV and HDTV rez displayed on the same HDTV set.

I know a buddy of mine, who games AN AWFUL LOT, did not react to the fact that both DoA2 and Devil May Cry on his PS2 field renders, and thus suffers from terrible flickering. It also took him ages to start to use antialiasing and such on his PC.

My parents never noticed the image on their relatively new TV bows inwards quite considerably, until I pointed it out to them. I guess they've forgotten about it by now. It just doesn't concern them very much, just as I don't really see HDTV-rez gaming concerning Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Taxpayer much either.

If you need to educate people about a benefit, then you've already failed!

Thanks fsp, now we just need to know what is a GC1.5, after all GC does Red Steel somethinghs should look real nice.

Shifty Geezer said:
If 640x480 causes migraines and makes eyes bleed, it's a wonder TV has been around as long as it has...

I remember that one of the big problems with VHS was the uncontrollable eyebleeding it caused. DVD mitigated that a bit, but it'll be nice when I get an HD-DVD player and don't have to carry my trusty "blood sponge" every time my buddies have a movie night.

Now I did skip over the last 6 pages of pee jokes so I am not sure if anyone else came up with this. Now it has been alluded to that Nintendo is using this as a stunt to draw attention to itself and away from the other consoles. I think that it it very possible that this never really was the true name but just an acronym that worked quite well for what they wanted as in:

what is it?

c0_re said:
Sorry short of XML\sequel statments for code migrations I have never touched a database, don't assume you have any clue what my job entails, developers come to me to ask how to tailor their code for the real world. Were doin things all the Unix\Oracle and Big Iron\IBM foks swore would never even be possible on windows\Linux x86 clusters.

sorry pal, i take back my utterly unjustified and deeply ignorat misrecognition of your expertise. whatever you do for a living, a humbly back off before the might of your unit.

darkblu said:
sorry pal, i take back my utterly unjustified and deeply ignorat misrecognition of your expertise. whatever you do for a living, a humbly back off before the might of your unit.

How about you try growing up first, typical IT dork egomaniac who thinks they know everything and is better than everyone else because they can read bianary without writing it down first.

Ok fine whatever I don't want argue to argue I"m just trying to figure out why?

So again what is the hold up over there I can walk out of the building and every single person I see knows exactly what HDTV is and either has one(or more) or is in the process of trying to aguire one. Normally I would argue that the american consumer is less informed than our neighbers but in case it doesn't seem to be so.

Have any of you ever tried to play a console game on a 50+ inch TV in 480p\i it's looks like a huge blocky mess of pixels.

This is like saying yea we don't need HDDVD\BluRay because DVD is just as good even though it isn't

c0_re said:
Ok fine whatever I don't want argue to argue I"m just trying to figure out why?

So again what is the hold up over there I can walk out of the building and every single person I see knows exactly what HDTV is and either has one(or more) or is in the process of trying to aguire one. Normally I would argue that the american consumer is less informed than our neighbers but in case it doesn't seem to be so.

Have any of you ever tried to play a console game on a 50+ inch TV in 480p\i it's looks like a huge blocky mess of pixils.

We don't have much TV content in HD so I quess that explains a lot, and TV's that are sold here, have been HD-ready for only a short time, I honestly can't give any good reasons why this is the case, our country is slowly turning to Digital TV, but the resolution and picture quality is crappy at this day and age they should have skipped that crappy digital tv and gone straight to HD, we will still have to wait few years to get some nice HD content in here, I'm sure in UK things are looking a bit better, but in Finland it's very messy right now.

I think 480p looks ok on my 61" DLP tv, but I refuse to play any 480i games anymore on it(except DMC3 which I just bought and FF12, if it's interlaced) as they look uglier than my ass.

Nobody is arguing that HD isn't better. It obviously is. The question is how much?

Personally, I think that HD, and graphics in general, are vastly inferior to the control interface in influencing gameplay. And as the PS2 proved, it's the games that sell a console, not the hardware.

This doesn't say anything about whether or not the Wii will be a good console, or whether or not it will sell well. What it does say is that despite being behind in computing power and graphics, due to the dramatically different control system, it still has the potential to be the best console of the next generation. But it all really depends upon just how good the control system is, and how well developers take to it.

c0_re said:
OK fair enough but what the heck is the hold up on HDTV across the pond because it's EVERYWHERE here in the states. You guys are ussaully WAY ahead of us in technology, just look at cell phones in Eueope and Asia compared to NA were still in the stone ages as far as that.
As I understand it, the major holdup is agreeing standards and establishing broadcasts. I think the intention was to create an HD standard so people knew what they were buying was compliant, the supposed HD Ready logo, rather tha just have companies selling HD equipment that wouldn't be any use once HD broadcast come online. Broadcast wise there's a lot of national radio-broadcasts at the mainstain of TV in Europe, whereas in NA it's all cable. The infrasctructure to make a switch to HD radio broadcasts just hasn't been there because of bandwidth and a need for consumers to have equipment to view it. Cable isn't as high BW AFAIK either, so people with NTL, one of the major cable services, don't get HD transmissions (someone correct me here if wrong). So at the moment the only reason for HD is satellite which came into effect a few months ago I think. Oh, and XB360. Without HD content there's no point buying HD equipment, and without HD equipment there's no point in broadcasts going HD. Chicken and egg. Some are thinking the World Cup will cause a surge in adoption. Availibility of HD movies and games will also start pushing adoption. I think PS3 is an excellent system for encouraging HD as in one box you get both HD games and movies. But then with sets costing £1000+ it's a hell of a lot of money for still limited content, of which people have little experience how much the improvement is. The only HD content I've seen is on LG sets who are smart enough to have an HDD providing pictures (and they do look good!). All the other HD sets I've seen are showing DVDs and TV broadcasts and actually look far worse than my cheap-arse CRT because they show terrible artefacts and probably aren't calibrated at all. At the moment HD is trying to sell itself on little more than a promise, and where SD is 'good enough' already, a promise isn't going to cut it.

I'll also add that when I hear of yanks talking about TVs they all talk about enormous sets. Over here 30" is probably about the size of a big TV. Don't know why that is, but I would guess generally our houses are a lot smaller. Modern houses make a shoe-box look like 16th Century farmhouse and anything over 14" totally dominates the miserable little living room. That's a UK perspective. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

HD is making it into both cable and satellite. On the cable side of things, they're changing the transmission system to all-digital, which both allows for more channels (more like satellite), and allows for HD content. But in both cases, HD content is limited.

Shifty Geezer said:
I'll also add that when I hear of yanks talking about TVs they all talk about enormous sets. Over here 30" is probably about the size of a big TV. Don't know why that is, but I would guess generally our houses are a lot smaller. Modern houses make a shoe-box look like 16th Century farmhouse and anything over 14" totally dominates the miserable little living room. That's a UK perspective. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

I live in the UK. More specifically, in a 3 bedroom council house. My 45 inch HDTV looks freakin lovely in my small living room.

Just signed up for SkyHD too ;)

45" huh? Pretty large. Of course, I expect most of our NA members think that's barely suitable for a kitchen worktop TV and look to their 60" TVs as a reasonable interim until they get their 120" projectors ;)

Back