Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

Sorry, but waving the controller as a trigger to kick the ball is not next-gen.

If done right it would bie quite realistic. For example depending on the speed you whip the controller, the ball would go farther. Also deipending where you kick the surface of the ball will determine its arc and trajectory. The remote is just like a pool stick and the football is just like a pool ball. Maybe even render the foot and leg and have the remote control it's exact movement on screen. All it takes is imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
They said that they arent searching for those , not directely (second console), what they want is repeating DS sucess in the console market too, and if they did that it will probably be much better, for them, than launching a high power console that for the market they want it will be much less usable (plus EU/JP and new markets).

The attach rate for HDTV wrt to consoles is much higher than for SDTV. Microsoft sold out millions of XB360s in expensive $600-1000 bundles. I guarantee you that the majority of those people were not plugging them into a 25-32" SDTV.

That already hapenend before HD, this time it may be stronger as many just wanted to try HD content in their TV.

Sorry, but waving the controller as a trigger to kick the ball is not next-gen. It's old gen. Been there, done that. Motion activated arcade games in Las Vegas.

Never tryed a arcade game that could all this can, plus that is just one eg while there is lot of them that one will easly think that are next gen.

You think you won't have to learn a control scheme? In every system with gesture activation I've ever seen, you have to "learn" the right gesture to activate the right trigger. What's the logical motion for "tackle" for example? How about handing off the ball from QB to running back? Doesn't seem that obvious to me.

If, like it is said, you just need to do what you would do in real life/ or real inttuitive (logical subtitutes or something like) the control scheme will be much more simple, after all that is what they want, plus it is much more easy to remember a no abstratct action.

NANOTEC said:
All it takes is imagination.

That is the main thing that lacks for many that say the controler is useless or just gimmik etc... (which is diferent than saying that one prefer the old controler).

BTW you (DemoCoder) could see here ideas from how the controler could bring the Madden for next gen by dong it in First Person and for that you could have all the power that a XB360/PS3 could not be good for such (new) game.

pc999 said:
That is the main thing that lacks for many that say the controler is useless or just gimmik etc... (which is diferent than saying that one prefer the old controler).

Yep I can even see using the left analog control to run towards the ball with full directional control to the left or right and the remote strictly controlling the kicking direction, angle, speeed, etc. For free throws in basketball same thing.

There's a difference between what the controller *could* do, vs what was explained as what they *were* doing (simple gesture recognition). You all jizz over Madden Wii by imagining what they might do, as opposed to taking off the beer goggles and looking at what they are claiming they are going to do.

Infatuation can give you a rude awakening.

F*ck sportsgames, go do some real sports instead. Leave couch sports to jogs and nitwits.
No, what I really want to see, is what Nintendo does with Mario and the Wiimote, and how fps games are going to work with the controller.
They'll absolutely need some kind of "lift mouse" action if the control is going to be as good or better than on a peecee.

One more reason....METAL SLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W00T!

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/704/704020p1.html

SNK love for a Nintendo console? I can't believe it! Sometimes it's hard to get enough guys and equipment together for a game of football, you know...I'm excited about what they said they're going to do. I can rember to jerk the controller to juke. I could never get the timing right on those squishy l/r buttons. I also never had a Vegas arcade game in my home, but that's because I'm a money-conscious poverty-stricken idiot.

fearsomepirate said:

SNK love for a Nintendo console? I can't believe it! Sometimes it's hard to get enough guys and equipment together for a game of football, you know...I'm excited about what they said they're going to do. I can rember to jerk the controller to juke. I could never get the timing right on those squishy l/r buttons. I also never had a Vegas arcade game in my home, but that's because I'm a money-conscious poverty-stricken idiot.

Awesome!! How about some Magician Lord and Nam75??:cool:

DemoCoder said:
I can find it alot easier as a downloadable ROM.

And I know how to get Windows XP and Paintshop Pro for free. You know, what I find kind of silly is that you sneer at anyone who balks at dropping $400 on a lava-powered vacuum cleaner so they can play Halo 3, but you're outraged at being charged the equivalent of a two-liter of Mountain Dew for a video game. Who's price-conscious now? I'd rather pay two dollars for Super Mario Brothers than some freakin' horse armor.

You know, my rich lawyer aunt is the same way. She'll buy her son a Saab but refuse to purchase pasta that's not on sale.
That pretty much wipes out any interest I could ever have in retrogaming on the Wii.
Whoa. I told you before; learn how to distinguish between "you" and other people. Congratulations on your modded Xbox. I don't have one. Your ownership of a modded Xbox is actually rather irrelevant to whether or not other people want a Wii. When I told my officemate that I know some guy on a forum with a modded Xbox, he said "So what?" I think he still wants a Wii.
Madden Wii looks like a port with the controller shoehorned in.
Well, at least we know you work for EA now. Say, how is the next Need for Speed coming along? Have the finally quit using rubberband AI?
They increase your muscle fatigue but add no benefit to control over the game.
So in other words, Xbox 360 appeals to the muscle conscious consumer who finds lifting his white, pimply arm from the Chee-tohs bag to his gaping maw to be a sufficient day's exercise.

I get the impression that DemoCoder had a bad experience with Nintendo in the past. Let me guess, you couldn't finish "The Legend of Zelda." Ganon was just a little to tough for you and you wanted so dearly to play the alternate version of the game that everyone was talking about.

It's too bad that your friends never told you to just type in "Zelda" as your game name. I feel for you man, those were hard times.:cry:

winstonsmith1978 said:
I get the impression that DemoCoder had a bad experience with Nintendo in the past. Let me guess, you couldn't finish "The Legend of Zelda." Ganon was just a little to tough for you and you wanted so dearly to play the alternate version of the game that everyone was talking about.

It's too bad that your friends never told you to just type in "Zelda" as your game name. I feel for you man, those were hard times.:cry:

I get the impression that Nintendo ******s are the most narrowminded of all gamers, insteantly believing anything Nintendo does is God's gift to gaming, and no one else can compare.

I feel this belief is strengthened with the frequency Nintendo fans credit Nintendo with the accomplishments made by other gaming companies. I think they are trying to compensate for the inferiority complex they have built up after years of relying on the same 3 franchises for all of their gaming needs while trying their damnedest to ignore the fact that better hardware and better games, and far better game selection has been coming from Nintendo's competition.

Keep on holding on to that controller dream. It's your savior.

At least until you figure out that consoles sales are based on consumer appeal, and Nintendo doesn't appeal to anyone who isn't a hardcore Nintendo fan.

fearsomepirate said:

An SNK game on anything less than a real cabinet or atleast a professional joystick makes you an idiot. Samurai Shodown, KOF, AOF, all are lame unless you have a real joystick. SNK games definately aren't made for an analog position controller. How are you going to be F-B-F-QCF + P?

No, the point of SNK games like SS was to make some moves so hard to pull off that only the most skillful and dexterous could do it, especially "on the fly" with quick reaction time. For example, Haohmaru's Kogetsuzan Rush in SS2 (hidden move), you had to input:

DF - HCF - RDP + BC (down forward, half circle forward, reverse dragon punch) + BC. The timing was also crucial. When I played SS2 in the arcade, only a very small minority of players could get this move off, even if I let them alone in the corner to practice it.

Just mapping a macro button to advanced moves or combos takes alot of the hand skill out of the game. Part of the fun was the difficultly of reaction time vs time to execute the move, which meant you had to learn how to buffer effectively and predict ahead of time your opponent.

I've played SNK games on consoles and on a full sized cabinet. They're still funner on the real arcade stick.

Like you said, diferent trigers (eg moving with the FHC), if intuitive enought it can be very enjoyable (is this a word?) IMO, actually I think this is the kind of game here they can be more gimick but that people will care less.

BTW I know SNK games (some at least).

Yes, in a 1vs1 fight game, having to do complex hand motions *might* be fun, but the core game has to be fun first. Mouse gesture fighting in Black and White wasn't fun, because B&W wasn't fun. Mouse gesture fighting might be fun if someone made a fun game based on it.

The problem I have with Madden is, based on the interviews, the gestures don't seem to be linked to skill, just gimmicks. Why is it fun to "hike" the ball? Hiking does not influence the game play at all! Hike is just "start the play"

I still think Table Tennis and Billards/Pool are the two killer-apps for the Wiimote. Table Tennis/Ping Pong especially. No Table Tennis game can be made with a standard controller that gives you the real feel of playing ping pong.

the only non-negative thought I can get out of the name is the children having fun 'weeeee'. but that would be very kiddish- worse than the pink lunch box.

to be honest, I am still disturbed by the "Touching is good" adds. I can only imagine parents' reaction when their kids tell them "touching is good!" o_O

Demo, i still don't get where your grudge with the wii originates from. yes, SNK's classics may not be the best candidate for a wiimote play from the pov of a an arcade fan, but hey, what's wrong with trying to give those games another contorl scheme - the righteous arcade fans can always check for themselves if the new control displeases them and if so not buy the game, it's as simple. at the same time you can bet many not so hardcore fans will be pleased with it.

basically, the only reasonable explanation you've given so far about your discontent with the wii is that it won't be outputting HD - ok, but to the majority of the console customers, local posters includingly, this is a non-concern. you can't expect many people to share your pov here. really.

and yes, you can find 101 flows in the various possible new control schemes through the wiimote - but guess what - _every_ control scheme is succeptible to this - the classic arcade stick is not ideal, the home plastic version even less so. the wiimote offers new ways, _along_ with the old classic schemes, for human interaction with the medium, what's so dissatisfying about it?

DemoCoder said:
Yes, in a 1vs1 fight game, having to do complex hand motions *might* be fun, but the core game has to be fun first. Mouse gesture fighting in Black and White wasn't fun, because B&W wasn't fun. Mouse gesture fighting might be fun if someone made a fun game based on it.

The problem I have with Madden is, based on the interviews, the gestures don't seem to be linked to skill, just gimmicks. Why is it fun to "hike" the ball? Hiking does not influence the game play at all! Hike is just "start the play"

I still think Table Tennis and Billards/Pool are the two killer-apps for the Wiimote. Table Tennis/Ping Pong especially. No Table Tennis game can be made with a standard controller that gives you the real feel of playing ping pong.

Back