Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

I would love to think that they named it knowing full well that it would be publicised massively as an object of ridicule - a wave that they'd ride to success. If that happens then fair play to them, but I think the "official" concept is somewhat pretentious and if it really was the geniune notion behind "Wii", any subsequent advantage they've gained from it will be a little flukey. JMHO.

Someone mentioned the phrase "there's no such thing as bad publicity" earlier. This is a real test of that - I am sure there will be a lot of second-guessing in years to come over the role that the name played in Revolution's failure/success.

ninzel said:
It doesn't roll off the tongue very easily...

Yes it does. Oh gawd... :oops:

Nine pages of name-bitching and no positve remark yet. Well, you're in for a surprise. I like it.

Just kidding. I'll continue to call it Revolution, trying to ignore that Wii ever happened.

Man, this name is going to be the brunt of sooooo many Wii jokes.

Most of them bad ones :p

And it's not going to stop.

from Wikipedia-

"Wii is the smallest stationary console Nintendo has ever manufactured, described by Nintendo as being "about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer"."

"The Wii has a flip lid which can be opened to reveal 4 ports for GameCube controllers and 2 memory card slots."

"The Wii will feature parental controls, prohibiting young viewers from viewing inappropriate content."

:D

This thread has been one of the funnier things I've read in a while!

Seriously, I cannot understand why Nintendo doesn't understand anything about their position in the marketplace. In my younger brothers' eyes, Nintendo "is for kids". How will the Nintendo Penis or Urination change that perception? Marketers are supposed to choose a name based on exhaustive, lengthy research. No one at Nintendo either looked at any dictionary's entry for "wee" or mentioned the "secret new name" to another human being and noticed the uncontrollable laughter that ensued?

It honestly seems like a conscious decision to fail; I find it hard to believe a company could be this detached from reality.

You know what's really interesting? Not one person who was already in the market for the Revolution has changed their mind about buying the console because of the new name. Now that is quite interesting. :oops:

There's a lot of people trying to defend the name by using this or that justification, but all I can say is, if message boards such as this are already making penis, urine, and little people jokes, this can't be a good sign for the company. I think the Dreamcast, Turbografx-16 and, to a lesser extent, Playstation are really lame console names, but at least they didn't have penis, urine, and little people jokes attached to them.

So how many bits is the Wii? 16, 32, 64, 128? No, it's wii-bits. Get it, wii-bits?

i was hoping for something like NES 2. something that harkened back to nintendo's glory days while signaling a major leap forward. the words "nintendo entertainment system" just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

if this name sticks, it will never be "cool" to own this system. ever.

I don't have much of a problem with Wii any more.
After the initial shock, and spending the last hour drinking my morning coffee and laughing with this thread, the Wii is starting to settle on me.

First I saw the name, it was a reaction to how it looks, and I thought it looks ok.
Then I thought of the pronounciation, and I thought "WTF LOL, is it just me but doesn't this sound a bit too much like...!!!
Then I thought it's a copy of Intel's ViiV and gringed at the obsession with i's in todays gadget naming.
Then I read the explanation behind the name Wii, and thought whoever came up with this idea spent too much time looking at todays gadget names and all their i's (iPod, ViiV...) with a scratchpad in his hand and came up with an idea that must have appeared clever, but which at least to me also appears a bit pretentious and "forced" as seems to be the trend today when trying to name cool new gadgets.
Is the Wii the 7th Nintendo home console? If it is, it's clear to see where some of the inspiration behind the name came.

As I'm not natively english speaker, the "wee" joke is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I see or hear Wii. I first think of "We". Do english speaking folks think of "wee" everytime someone uses "we" in a sentence? I don't think so.
A joke soon gets old and is not funny any more. I think given enough time, the Wii will be just another homophone.

Last edited by a moderator:
turkish a. punkass said:
i was hoping for something like NES 2. something that harkened back to nintendo's glory days while signaling a major leap forward. the words "nintendo entertainment system" just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

if this name sticks, it will never be "cool" to own this system. ever.

I thought people buy systems to play games...oh wait let's forget about the games..we just want to be cool!

I don't have much of a problem with Wii any more.
After the initial shock, and spending the last hour drinking my morning coffee and laughing with this thread, the Wii is starting to settle on me.

That's exactly the way I feel. After the intitial ROTFL, it's just another Google, Yahoo, iPod, Pepsi, Napster, OptimFROG now.

The comparison to Google, Yahoo, iPOD, Pepsi is ludicrous. Google, nor Yahoo, nor iPOD resemble human bodily waste. For example, Google is a play on Googol which obviously fits the company's image to a T.

While it's certainly hard to think Wii as "cool", I think it'll easily get the image of "cute".
Wii - wee as small, and small the Wii certainly is........... pffft.... haha not my wee is not! ok, I really think I will get over this ;)
Edit: I think it is only positive if a name makes you laugh the first you hear it, it certainly has reinforced the fun, golden, sunny image of Nintendo in my mind. While I don't think wee itself is that fun, it's all the jokes I've read and heard now, and the reaction when I see Wii is that I smile involuntarily, which does not happen automatically with xbox or Playstation :)

Two words: Cognitive Dissonance. That's what the f*nb*ys are going through right now.

(BTW, how come Revolution is impossible to pronounce in Japanese, but PlayStation isn't? Both have L sounds, and what's wrong with Revorution, I mean, Japanese routinely mangle Engrish in their advertisements, sometimes very very badly)

Back