Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

i actually enjoy the wii video but as Teasy already pointed out -- as soon as you realize it's pronounced wee, it becomes lame.

If they wanted to emphasize community - why not call it Nintendo Connect or NiiNTENDO LiiNK or how about Nintendo GOnads. I don't know, you can't fix it, it's just lame.

Wii is a very clever and savy name. Nintendo has turned the corner when it comes to marketing finally. This is exactly the approach Nintendo needs to take.

Wii reminds me of the poem the great boxer Muhammad Ali gave at the start of his Harvard commencement address. Supposedly someone in the crowd shouted out "give us a poem" just before he was about to begin, and Ali responded with, "Me, We". It's referred as the shortest poem in the world and shortest quotation.

Turn the "W" upside down and you get an "M".

Mii
Wii

my 3 yo daughter will be very confused by this.

"Daddy i need to go wee" would be very confusing for both her and me if wii had one of these in the house.

Atwood: No, the point is we want it to be very clear what we’re saying. Again, we’ll go back to your traditional naming conventions for systems. They tend to be fairly literal. That’s not what we want at all. We want something that isn’t as literal. But once you understand it, it makes a lot of sense.

Once you touch the Revolution, this will make more sense. Once you play more games, and once the system is out, and more and more people play it, and you’re realizing these different experiences, it’ll make more sense.

Notice he didnt say "Once you touch the Wii, this will make more sense." Just an example of how hard it will be to bring the Wii up in conversations, and actually be serious. :p

The Wii goes in the Luu (pronouced "loo").
igncubes-nintendo-revolution-stand.jpg

Post on Shacknews:

Japanese has 5 vowel sounds, a (ah), i (ee), o (oh), e (eh), u (oo) that are combined with consonants to form the basis of the syllabary, so you their 'alphabet' looks kind of like this:

ka - ke - ko - ke - ku
sa - shi- so - se - su (there's no 'si' sound)
ta - chi- to - te - tsu (there's no 'ti' or 'tu' sound)

et cetera, but when you get down to the 'w' row, it looks like

wa - xx - o - xx - xx

There's no wi, wo, we, or wu, sound, and wo is pronouced 'o'

So in order for Japanese press to write about the Wii, they'll either have to used romanized characters, or spell it 'ui' (oo-ee).

Man.. What is N's problem with abbreviations?

"There's no need to abbreviate! It's not the Nintendo Revolution, it's not the Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii"

Uhh.. WHAT?

Why are they purposefully backing away from their own branding?

I mean.. Were they so upset that people were calling their controller the revremote that they're so much happier with people calling it a wiimote now?

Sure, name something after piss and that'll stop abbreviations. Right.

This is what happens when you choose names by committee.

MuFu said:
Game Informer interview with Matt Atwood (NOA Public Relations Manager):

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm

From the interview:
GI: Whose idea was Wii?

Atwood: It was actually several people internally. But beyond that, we aren’t disclosing specifics on how the name came about. But it was several people at NOA and NCL.

GI: So it wasn’t Yamauchi coming in with his iron fist and saying, “We’re calling it Wii!â€

Atwood: (laughs) No. No, it wasn’t. For a long time there we’ve been discussing the name and there was a lot of talk, and this is what the committee came up with. It was a large group of people that came up with the name.

I think "we aren’t disclosing specifics on how the name came about" are code words for "some people said it was stupid and fought against it but they were over ruled by secret ballot".

RancidLunchmeat said:
I mean.. Were they so upset that people were calling their controller the revremote that they're so much happier with people calling it a wiimote now?

I liked the "Wii Stick" idea.

I was just wondering how many people here who have posted in this thread watched the Wii flash ad? It's pretty clever actually pretty cool. I think the Wii name will be very good for marketing. People will remember what it actually looks like rather than remember its pronounciation.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Well, I found this so interesting/bizarre/funny that I just had to tell a casual-gamer friend of mine about it. Before, he knew nothing about Nintendo's next-gen offering. Now he knows about it, knows about the controller, I showed him the trailer and he knows the name. Seems like it's working just fine for them ;)

PeterT said:
Well, I found this so interesting/bizarre/funny that I just had to tell a casual-gamer friend of mine about it. Before, he knew nothing about Nintendo's next-gen offering. Now he knows about it, knows about the controller, I showed him the trailer and he knows the name. Seems like it's working just fine for them ;)

You just need to tell a few million more people and Nintendo is set!

I really don't see what's so bad about that name. In fact, I like it already just for making some people upset ;)

IMHO the Wii's problem is not its name, it's the hardware...

It doesn't roll off the tongue very easily nor does it fit into sentences well. I think it's meant to work in concert with Revolution. The official name is Wii, but it will likely be referred to as Revolution amongst gamers.

Back