Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

Bobbler said:
It seems they don't really understand why the name Wii is stupid. Comparing it to google, iPod, and Napster seems to make that apparent. Wii is a single syllable sound thats used in a lot of langauges for various things... don't they tell you in marketing school (or whereever these clowns got educated) that single syllable names are generally dangerous?

here i can derail into why is it that otherwise smart people allow such buffons to direct the fate of genuinely good products, worth billions, but i'll refrain. all in all there are about two big IT companies out there whose marketting staff was not dropped on the stairs as babies - apple and sony. and they're not stellar, just good enough. take the rest and you have a case-study of why humankind is a doomed species.

darkblu said:
here i can derail into why is it that otherwise smart people allow such buffons to direct the fate of genuinely good products, worth billions, but i'll refrain. all in all there are about two big IT companies out there whose marketting staff was not dropped on the stairs as babies - apple and sony. and they're not stellar, just good enough. take the rest and you have a case-study of why humankind is a doomed species.

I was about to say the same thing, i would even go as far as to say that Apple seems like the only company that knows how to market products.

It's really strange how bad company's are with this.

"Wee" is generally something kids (or adults trying to sound childish or inoffensive) say, so at least they're sticking with the child friendly image!

Bah, it's a stupid name for a great looking product, but whatever, I'd buy one even if t was called "Ounce of Piss".

Gamecube was originally going to be called Starcube...changed because it sounded a wii bit queer.

Oh, the website is down now, overloaded or pulled due to a bad response.
Regardless, Wii is a bad name. One syllable and it doesn't have a hard sound (pronounce nes) but a whispy one.

The name of this console combined with the unique abilities of the controller would make a "writing your name in the snow" game a dead cert, I would have thought. ;)

Fox5 said:

As far as I can tell, nintendo.com is down entirely :LOL: I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. I guess at least they've got attention!

When I first saw it, I thought it was pronounced "Why", as in "Why should I buy this?" "Why do I want an underpowered consoled?" "Why is Nintendo too dumb to run this by focus groups?"

Squeak said:
I seriously think Nintendo will be forced to change the name, even before E3.
Yeah, but with their actual train of thoughts they might change it to Pii, Stiinc or something along those lines.

Wee Wee is a term children use for penis or micro-penis for some unfortunate adults.

Tthe most controversial commercial ever.

Mother notices her son shaking his arm frantically infront of the TV set.

"Kyle what are you doing?"

"Playing with my Wee Wee"

"Weeeeeeee"

Mother get closer and see a RevMote in her sons hands and breathes a sigh of relief.

Nintendo sales -10,000,000

You just can't have a product name that has even the slightest conoctations with excrement. It really should be common sense.

Squeak said:
You just can't have a product name that has even the slightest conoctations with excrement. It really should be common sense.

Reminds me of those "Golden Sample" video cards that used to be sold (or still are..?). Although I don't think this is quite as bad as that..I could never ever see those cards without thinking of a urine sample.

Fox5 said:
Regardless, Wii is a bad name. One syllable and it doesn't have a hard sound (pronounce nes) but a whispy one.

If they are daft enough to think that Wii was a good name then they probably don't realize all those hits are from people who are in disbelief that Nintendo could be so stupid.

Back