Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

Didn't they ever consider how people would attempt to use the name in conversation?

"Hello, I'd like to find out if you have that Wii game in yet?" "Hey, you wanna play some Wii?" "Mom, I wanna Wii for Xmas!"

Good job, Nintendo.

If you could patent the "look and feel" of promotional materials Nintendo would be headed to court shortly. Everything from the color scheme, to the font, to the faux "straight talking" attitude is so blatantly ripped straight out of the Apple playbook that it's almost creepy. I half expected to see the new iPod at the end of their Flash animation.

"They have totally lost the UK market with this, for sure."
They just lost the entire West with this. Ugh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
Oh, and side-note for any GAF regulars here - I think this is the first time I've seen the board go down in a long long time. It weathered GDC so well..I fear for E3.

GAF isn't really down, it's just slow... but if all it takes is Rev's name to bring the forums to it's knees, then I imagine my E3 source won't be GAF.

Titanio said:
It's absolutely true, no question about it. See both links above.

Oh, and side-note for any GAF regulars here - I think this is the first time I've seen the board go down in a long long time. It weathered GDC so well..I fear for E3.

I'm not sure I would define 15 minute intervals between clicking on a thread and it opening as "well" ;)

Might as well pack it up for the entire duration of E3.

I'm more wondering about all the different fansites and such..

The wii-report, planet-wii etc. :oops:

I do still like the "look" of it though, even if not how it sounds (particularly). I'm sure they'll be pushing the alternate connotations very hard (i.e. "we" as in us etc.)

Titanio said:
It's absolutely true, no question about it. See both links above.

And I thought Neo is going to solved that. LOL. Man there were times when I misread Wii as Will for some reason.

.Z

Somebody should have told Nintendo that Wii sounds like "wee", and that calling your product urine is not sounding all that cool.

Well, they said they're trying to expand in direction of new markets, maybe they're trying to reach the yet untaped strange fetish market.

Vysez said:
Somebody should have told Nintendo that Wii sounds like "wee", and that calling your product urine is not sounding all that cool.

Well, they said they're trying to expand in direction of new markets, maybe they're trying to reach the yet untaped strange fetish market.

I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will be right behind them, respectively launching their "Pu" and "Jobi" consoles.

I mean, did Nintendo corporate run this by Nintendo of America (or any other English-speaking execs) before giving the go-ahead? Because this is crazy. Revolution is so much better.

Outside of English, what else does phonetic 'we' mean? (And why do they say they chose something to sound like 'we' as in us and yet want to be language neutral?).

Wee means small in Scottish.
In store : "I'd like to buy a wee"
"A wee what? A wee game for the wee laddie here?"

Oui in French for yes. Even worse.
"I'd like to buy a yes?"
"A yes?"
"Yes."
Though they'll get lots of free advertising on the name in any interview or asking children questions at school.

Any other meanings from other territories/languages?

the name is stupid. but i guess it's somehow related to 'V' which represent this as nintendo's fifth console. anyway, the main concern is why nintendo announce the name so early? They get lots of secrets/materials to present later? seems interesting to me.

Shifty Geezer said:
Any other meanings from other territories/languages?
England comes to mind. ;)
Oh man, imagine the commercials for this thing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back