Halo 3 Trailer @ E3: Confirmed

It seems Mr Moore has today revealed that the legendary Master Chief will be appearing at E3 to show off the latest game in the Halo series. Of course nothing is known about what will be shown; whether it will be CGI or in game footage, but rest assured it will be one of the biggest highlights of this years E3.

Moore stated the following: “Expect to see the first footage from the next instalment of Halo at E3, which might shift some focus away from the competition. The game won't hit stores until 2007, however.”

It also looks like the new Forza Motorsport 2 may also make an appearance, news which will no doubt please the racing world. Like Halo 3 not much is known about the content which Forza will be taking to E3, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the slickest racing games to hit a console thus far.
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=6890

Some might consider it a no-brainer, but it's nice to have confirmation nonetheless. Forza 2 as well..swwweeeeett

I wonder if it'll be a real game trailer or an advert type pre-rendered trailer? Unless they're doing amazing things, it'd take some KZ level CG to take attention away from PS3 and Rev I imagine!

This is a little suspicious. Where is the original source?

Because Chris Morris at CNN said the exact same thing, word for word. And he wasn't quoting Moore at all.

Microsoft (Research), while it might show off a few new accessories (such as a camera enabling online video chat via Xbox Live), has the luxury of focusing on games instead of hardware. Expect to see the first footage from the next installment of "Halo," which might shift some focus away from the competition. (The game won't hit stores until 2007, however.) "Forza 2" will almost certainly make an appearance.

I pretty much expect to see Halo3 at E3, so it's not that I think it's unlikely, but I think someone might have messed up on who they were quoting?

I dont think Peter Moore would, all of a sudden, change tactics on revealing Halo 3 info prior to E3, so I dont believe he said anything of the sort.

And while Halo 3 wont steal the show from Nintnendo and Sony, i do think it keeps MS as part of the conversation "what happened at E3." IMO, this is should be enough to complement all the games theyll have there.

So what do you people guess Halo3 is going to show?

With all due respect, the art style of Bungie isn't exactly realistic, hyper-realistic (overexaggerated realism), nor as finely stylized as MGS for example. Both Halo episodes were limited by the hardware to an extent, but I wouldn't really expect them to be able to outshine the cream of the nextgen developers.

Which leads me to a more important question: gameplay. Halo was IMHO quite different from other FPS games in that it heavily increased the tactical part of the combat, forcing the player to make heavy use of different weapons, grenades, covers, and even turn enemy tactics against the AI. Remember, it's a 2001 game, PC shooters have been stuck trying to copy Half Life at that time. Part 2 seems to be more of the same, so I think they've managed to gather some new design ideas for the sequel.

I'd guess that the big show-off in Halo 3 could be to heavily increase the scale of the combat. More allied and enemy soldiers, and higher level tactics maybe? Several nextgen TPS hack and slash games are introducing hundreds, even thousands of enemies, but we have yet to see that implemented in a shooter. A massive battlefield would look very impressive even with 'simply good' art assets, and it'd also build on the strenghts of Bungie: game design and engineering.
On the other hand, the game has been in development for about 18 months. It might be a lot, but nextgen stuff is now counted in years and I wonder if Halo could grow significantly in such a short amount of time. As epic as it would be, it'd take some serious effort to present a 'Master Chief vs. 200 Covenant soldiers' battle in a convincing way...

So what do you think, can they do something like this? Or will we get a bit of advancement and flashy graphics? Or will it be a letdown?

I think this is one of those cases where expectations are SO high, that dissapointment is almost inevitable.

MS knows this has to be a graphical showcase, and although Halo is not photorealistic, if you take a look at some of the Halo CG concept renders they are amazing, so there's definately possibility for jaw-dropping GFX.

My guess is that it will be extremely impressive graphically, because it HAS to be. I don't know if it will be enough to live up to people expectations/hopes though.

That's what bothers me about many FPS games. The art direction appears to be: a) design the face b) stick the face on a blocky boring suit of armor. Sometimes part a) is even done with face generation software.

Many of these games have zero artistic imagination. The future is all powersuits. No one wears clothing.

One of the things I liked about the MGS4 vid is that the central hero is now an old man, and in the MGS series, the villians were somewhat colorful.

It's not that the MGS engine was super impressive technically, it's the *art direction* that's impressive. Same reason I think God of War gets props. Atleast they did something different.

I think they'll take the Halo universe into the MMORPG space, look whats happening with WoW. WoW is a cultural phenomenon in its own right and Halo will have a Peter Jackson produced movie behind it. The question, to me anyway, what else will they do with it?

I think just in terms of pure sales and system-selling power they need to have a SP component to it as well. For E3 i think a very short tease will be the order because they do NOT want to draw too much attention from their key 2006 titles. It will likely end the video presentation with the requisite 'mind blowing' graphics with just hints of what the gameplay might be like. Your 'epic battles' scenario sounds like it would fit the bill!

expletive said:
I think they'll take the Halo universe into the MMORPG space, look whats happening with WoW. WoW is a cultural phenomenon in its own right and Halo will have a Peter Jackson produced movie behind it. The question, to me anyway, what else will they do with it?

I think just in terms of pure sales and system-selling power they need to have a SP component to it as well. For E3 i think a very short tease will be the order because they do NOT want to draw too much attention from their key 2006 titles. It will likely end the video presentation with the requisite 'mind blowing' graphics with just hints of what the gameplay might be like. Your 'epic battles' scenario sounds like it would fit the bill!

I think it would be a huge risk to make Halo an MMO, unless it's a spin-off from the main franchise.

MMO's are still almost completely unproven on consoles.

scooby_dooby said:
I think it would be a huge risk to make Halo an MMO, unless it's a spin-off from the main franchise.

MMO's are still almost completely unproven on consoles.

The MMO would be an extension of the single player game, sorry if that wasnt clear in my post. I agree that a SP experience is key for the title to sell consoles.

MMOs, until recently were unproven to the mainstream altogether, their time will come on consoles. I think consoles will be where they REALLY explode to be honest.

DemoCoder said:
That's what bothers me about many FPS games. The art direction appears to be: a) design the face b) stick the face on a blocky boring suit of armor. Sometimes part a) is even done with face generation software.

Many of these games have zero artistic imagination. The future is all powersuits. No one wears clothing.

One of the things I liked about the MGS4 vid is that the central hero is now an old man, and in the MGS series, the villians were somewhat colorful.

It's not that the MGS engine was super impressive technically, it's the *art direction* that's impressive. Same reason I think God of War gets props. Atleast they did something different.

to tell you the truth I'd be hard pressed to describe good art but I think I know it when I see it even if I don't know what it is. :p But I think I know what you mean.

Halo 3 will really need to step its game up a notch or two in the art dept and style to be truly next gen. I have little doubt that technically it will be pretty danged astounding as I expect it to be a 360 show piece.

Laa-Yosh said:
So what do you people guess Halo3 is going to show?

With all due respect, the art style of Bungie isn't exactly realistic, hyper-realistic (overexaggerated realism), nor as finely stylized as MGS for example. Both Halo episodes were limited by the hardware to an extent, but I wouldn't really expect them to be able to outshine the cream of the nextgen developers.

Which leads me to a more important question: gameplay. Halo was IMHO quite different from other FPS games in that it heavily increased the tactical part of the combat, forcing the player to make heavy use of different weapons, grenades, covers, and even turn enemy tactics against the AI. Remember, it's a 2001 game, PC shooters have been stuck trying to copy Half Life at that time. Part 2 seems to be more of the same, so I think they've managed to gather some new design ideas for the sequel.

I'd guess that the big show-off in Halo 3 could be to heavily increase the scale of the combat. More allied and enemy soldiers, and higher level tactics maybe? Several nextgen TPS hack and slash games are introducing hundreds, even thousands of enemies, but we have yet to see that implemented in a shooter. A massive battlefield would look very impressive even with 'simply good' art assets, and it'd also build on the strenghts of Bungie: game design and engineering.
On the other hand, the game has been in development for about 18 months. It might be a lot, but nextgen stuff is now counted in years and I wonder if Halo could grow significantly in such a short amount of time. As epic as it would be, it'd take some serious effort to present a 'Master Chief vs. 200 Covenant soldiers' battle in a convincing way...

So what do you think, can they do something like this? Or will we get a bit of advancement and flashy graphics? Or will it be a letdown?

I pretty much agree with you, (sp) gameplay based footage (not necessary always player cam) in really large scale (5-10x H2) with relatively (given the scale) very impressive gfx, long enought to give a small and nic eimpression of many new features, ie hype building.

I just doubt about the 18 months of dev with it, there is a lot of featres that should appear in H2 but it didnt (eg run, meele combos, AI formations...(you can even see some in the E303 demo)), I guess they are working (like some rumurs said) long time ago for a really good fight with PS3 a litle before the movie.

Actually, what I'm really expecting is some fairly ground-breaking gameplay. If Bungie does it right, people should be copying Halo 3 for the next 5 years just like Halo 1.

Uggh...Halo: one of the most overrated games franchises of all time. That should be the title of the next installment.

:(

"We have been made aware that the quote included in this news story was not accurate, and we apologize to all who relied on us to bring you the most accurate information. Therefore, we are issuing a full retraction of the quote once listed here. We hope to see you on Club Skill again next week when out E3 coverage begins, and we are sorry for an inconvinience we may have caused. Kevin Prince & Matt Jarosz- Club Skill Admins"

LOL! MS Ninja's

scooby_dooby said:
LOL! MS Ninja's

It's not MS ninja's, one of the admins for clubskill is getting a lot of hassle in this thread to make changes. He wanted to talk with the person who wrote the article first before amending it, but they forced the issue on him given that it's very obvious that the quote is attributed to Chris Morris at CNNMoney.com and not Peter Moore.

ROG27 said:
Uggh...Halo: one of the most overrated games franchises of all time. That should be the title of the next installment.

:(

Perhaps you're underrating the game! ;)

In any case, this is great news (if true) for those that are fans of the game. I can't wait!

Back