Valve announces 360 development

Titanio

Legend
No titles announced yet, but there will be some soon, and also I guess there's the byproduct of Source coming to 360:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2831&Itemid=2

The vague announcement proclaimed that Valve's first Xbox 360 title is "coming soon", and more than one title is planned for the console. The company assured that all of the games will use Valve's impressive Source engine, which was used in Half-Life 2.

Valve president and co-founder Gabe Newell said, "The combination of Source and the 360 provides game designers the chance to create powerful entertainment experiences. Whether developing a traditional FPS, RTS, RPG or delving into new genres, the Xbox 360 is a great platform for expanding Source and our game experiences."

Source is being updated all the time. The version of source you saw running on Xbox ain't the same as the one that'll be on 360.

Not sure how long HL3 has been in the works..

Didn´t MS have Valve (and HL3) in one of those slides related to XNA?
I remember seeing Half Life 3 mentioned with XNA in a slide a time ago..

I don't think next Half-life is called Half-Life 3, I heard that't it was going to be called a bit weirly Half-Life 2 episode 1??, The name Half-Life 2 aftermath is also known. I don't think there has been any news about a game called Half-Life 3.

edit: apparently Valve is going to release the game more frequently and therefore going to release it as episodes, still it's weird that they are going to call it episode 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
EndR said:
Didn´t MS have Valve (and HL3) in one of those slides related to XNA?
I remember seeing Half Life 3 mentioned with XNA in a slide a time ago..
Yup, in a shaky cam shot of a MS presentation, HALF-LIFE 3 is in the middle of a list of engines. Sure, HL3 isn't an engine, but MS probably just goofed up.

weaksauce said:
There was news or atleast talk that hl3 was being worked on the time of release or a bit before.

okey here:
http://www.ferrago.com/story/3224

Maybe they did mean "episode 1"?

That news is over two years old... even before Half-life 2 was released and Basically it is just talking about game after Half-Life 2 which is now confirmed to be episode1/aftermath.

Odd since Gabe said Half-Life 2 was the only console game he has made that was a dissapointment. They need to use much newer updated engine or something because Source still looks good now but in a year or two it will look bad.

I wonder if we'll see episodic releases from valve over Live. Seems thats the direction they're heading with some projects and XBL would be an ideal delivery platform.

Dr Evil said:
That news is over two years old... even before Half-life 2 was released and Basically it is just talking about game after Half-Life 2 which is now confirmed to be episode1/aftermath.

Yes the article was written before hl2 released...

Man I miss the marines... "Move!"

Ben-Nice said:
Odd since Gabe said Half-Life 2 was the only console game he has made that was a dissapointment. They need to use much newer updated engine or something because Source still looks good now but in a year or two it will look bad.
If im not mistaken, the recent Doug interview stated Episode 2 would bring more to the table. (And you can probably expect that 2007).

This will be huge for both Valve and Microsoft. I imagine that most of the games that will use the updated Source engine will be Live! Arcade titles that you will also be available for purchase through Steam. Perhaps Live! and Steam purchases will be one and the same so you can get your game on anywhere.

This is certainly a win for MS. It sounds like the Live Server Protocol coupled with money hats changed Gabe's opinion from bitter ambivalence to happy happy joy joy.

Inane_Dork said:
This is certainly a win for MS. It sounds like the Live Server Protocol coupled with money hats changed Gabe's opinion from bitter ambivalence to happy happy joy joy.

What makes you think Money Hats?

Back