EA talks about underpowered Revolution

scooby_dooby said:
Meh, Keyboard Mouse is not perfect, moving my cursor way to the bottom of the screen to select different buildings/troops, switching groups using number-keys, and scrolling with the arrows etc, could all be done better IMO.

The big question mark is selcting troops, if they can nail that it will be great. The analogue stick give a really good level of precision, RTS don't require super high precision anyways.

Yeah they could all be done better with a as yet uninvented controller, but not with a standard console controller. Everything you mentioned, except perhaps selecting groups, is the same with a standard controller but worse. Also precision becomes very important when you have to select a character as soon as possible to move them or order them to attack. Usually the way of dealing with that on a console is dulled down enemy AI (needing less quick reactions).

Unfortunately EA's questionable quality in graphics and previous track record for optimising graphics on all platforms is suspect. Just look @ there efforts this generation where PS2 type textures were ported to GC no matter what each consoles ability dictated. If this statement came from the likes of Capcom, I might be worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
OVERLORD said:
Unfortunately EA's questionable quality in graphics and previous track record for optimising graphics on all platforms is suspect. Just look @ there efforts this generation where PS2 type textures were ported to GC no matter what each consoles ability dictated. If this statement came from the likes of Capcom, I might be worried.

Haven´t seen Fight Night 3 or MoH next gen, right??

Almasy said:
Haven´t seen Fight Night 3 or MoH next gen, right??

That's just my point. Whether or not Revo has HD capability. It's questionable EA would bother translating this this to Revo platform successfully without prejudice. Looking @ current gen. Most if not all EA's GC ports didn't. So why presume an old dog has learned a new trick.

Good job I have a current gen PC capable for that!

Magnum PI said:
what about the validity of the sampling ?

I didn't present it as anything other than my sampling, Shifty asked a question of 360 owners, and I responded with my numbers, everyone else can do the same, which would make the sample size increase, and probably allow for a greater variance.

But you also, left out the rest of my post, are you somehow suggesting that the numbers of people with VGA monitors in their home is low, or lower than the number of HDTVs? I would submit that 99% of members on this board have HD capabilities at this very moment through their monitors, the other 1% I'm thinking are laptop only users. Does that make for a better sample?

I think this is just an example of what is going to happen to REV. 3rd party devlopers are not going to want to dumd down and retor fit their games to be playable on a seriosuly under powered console like REV, they also will have to spend time re configuring thier games to work with the controller.

This is simply the start of thingsw to come, things were bad enough for 3rd partys with the GC it got very little support and the hardware was up to snuff with last gen. REV will be far behind in the power dept. no HD support and have an unual controller that will require time and money for a 3rd party dev to use in their games.

Nintendo is once again isolating 3rd party devs and making it difficult for them to produce games on the revolution, similar to what they did with the N64 limting dev to using cartridges.

Sorry nintendo fans but 3rd party support for Revoltuion is going to be even worse for REV then it was for GC and with nintendo as a 1st party putting out maybe 3-5 games a year the Revolution game section is going to look very bleak.

Yea and how many developers are going to do that? it's also just for one game, and also proves the point devlopers will have to seperately develop games for the revolution, apart from their normal game devlopment teams. It's simply not going to happen your aren't going to see a number of devlopers take the time money and resources to seperately devlop games for the revolution.

If you read the interviewn you will notice that it is for more than one game.

OT:And taking in acount that , EA more than any other, do games for money, yes, I thinking that many will do this.

swanlee said:
Yea and how many developers are going to do that? it's also just for one game, and also proves the point devlopers will have to seperately develop games for the revolution, apart from their normal game devlopment teams. It's simply not going to happen your aren't going to see a number of devlopers take the time money and resources to seperately devlop games for the revolution.

Up until Dreamcast/XBox/NGC/PS2 era, games were rarely if ever multi-console, and I don't see what we got from those (multi-console games), besides average graphics and gameplay...

I hate Nintendo. Nintendo would be so much better if they just created a system that looked, played and smelled like a PS3.

edit- I wrote this before Wii, so i take back my sarcasm, Nintendo is truelly a joke of a company.

Ingenu said:
Up until Dreamcast/XBox/NGC/PS2 era, games were rarely if ever multi-console, and I don't see what we got from those (multi-console games), besides average graphics and gameplay...

I dunno, I can remember a hell of a lot of multiplatform games from the 16-bit days. Maybe not to the extent there now, but games like Street Fighter 2, Madden, Desert Strike, Populus and many others were great games and very successful. These games tended to be finished then ported though, rather than be multiplatform from the off.

winstonsmith1978 said:
I hate Nintendo. Nintendo would be so much better if they just created a system that looked, played and smelled like a PS3.
Then you're better off not posting here. This is about the console known as "Wii" which isn't a PS3.

NucNavST3 said:
I didn't present it as anything other than my sampling, Shifty asked a question of 360 owners, and I responded with my numbers

i'm not suggesting anything i just telling you that talking about a microscopic unrepresentative sample of xbox 360 owners is meaningless regarding the context of the whole group of microsoft owners shifty was referring to.

and you can aggregate as many samples as you want, you won't necessarily obtain a better sample.

I don't think that the relatively underpowered hardware is going to be a problem for the Wii. Jokes about the name aside, the control system for this console is so radically different than the other consoles that I don't see multiplatform games doing well on the Wii, for the most part, so the graphics and processing just don't need to be the same as the others, if the primary titles for the console are going to be for that console only.

Back