Claimed: Oblivion coming to PS3, Nov 6 (launch?)

Damn the second time he did an even worst job. He said...

"I'm saying we have not announced any plans to do a PS3 or PSP version of Oblivion. I don't know who that person is or where they came up with that information,"

Yep key word is announce. I would love to see a PS3 -> PSP connectivity.

I wonder if PS3 fans will complain about the "repetitive assets" they claim DVD size limitations forced on the game, once it's exactly the same on Blu-Ray?

Probably not.

Hey, you only had to wait six months too!

Naughty Boy! said:
I wonder if PS3 fans will complain about the "repetitive assets" they claim DVD size limitations forced on the game, once it's exactly the same on Blu-Ray?

Probably not.

I didn't, I already own it :p

A straight port of Oblivion won't magically result in more unique assets, you know. And my point on this at the time was not that it was because of a DVD limitation, but for whatever reason - be it production, budget, whatever - Oblivion did not represent the extent that unique data would ever be required in a game, thus raising it as some sort of trump card in "is DVD enough?" arguments was flawed.

dukmahsik said:
this is debunked here:
Debunked in typical inconclusive fashion you mean.
"At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360,"
Obviously the original source saying it's received an announcement of this upcoming release is debunked, but the idea Oblivion won't be coming to PS3 hasn't been ruled out absolutely. It's possible (however unlikely) that Bethesda have plans to release Oblivion on other platforms that they just haven't announced yet, from that quote.

At least the debunk came from an official source, Bethesda, while this original rumor was posted by some guy on a forum, then another gaming site used this forum post as a source.

I could post about how oblivion is getting ported to the N64, my post would have as much credibility as the post that started this rumor

swanlee said:
At least the debunk came from an official source, Bethesda...
The debunk came from a gaming site supposedly quoting Bethesda. The original rumour came from a forum goer supposedly quoting an official release list from Bethesda. How do we know the gaming site or the original GAF comments are true? Mostly guesswork and past experience. It's not like Gaming sites never get it wrong, but on the whole we trust the better known ones to be accurate on this sort of reporting and we'll trust them over a GAF forum posting of course. Of course if we knew Snatches on GAF to be a reliable source or scallywag, that'd have affected judgement on the probabilities of the this from the offset.

Now if you were to post 'Oblivion is getting a port to the N64', we'd have to ask where you're getting that info from. And if you say from a Bethesda release schedule, we'll have to weigh the liklihood of you speaking the truth about it versus reputation and realism. Obviously such a comment wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

So really, no, you couldn't post 'Oblivion is coming to N64' with as much credibility as the rumour that started this thread.

That isn't really what I'd call "debunking."

"at the moment we have no announced plans..." doesn't really say anything other than "we haven't made any public announcements" -- infact, it isn't even answering the question about a possible PS3 release.

superguy said:

Probably not.

I'd think the devs/publisher would want to add content to this version if for nothing more than to entice those who have the original and also give it a fresh spin for those that missed out on this game 6 months prior.

It would cost them little and any additional sales they get is icing on the cake.

Titanio said:
Gamestop now lists Oblivion for PS3, with the same ship date as the original rumour..

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&product_id=270036

Although it's funny to note that Gamestop at one point listed Morrowind for PS2 aswell, all those years ago ;) But I think it's perhaps more than coincidence that their info on PS3 Oblivion matches up with this original rumour..

They also have a release date for Thesis, which isn't coming to the PS3 at all.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000331

I think perhaps is't more than coincidence that Gamestop has 2 game listings that are pure guesswork based entirely on rumor and nothing more.

Even more telling is that according to this PS3 Oblivion would be launching in a mere 4 months, yet Bethesda has never said the game exists at all. I guess they don't want it to sell or something.

Powderkeg said:
I guess they don't want it to sell or something.
:LOL:

If it's largely the same game that was released months ago it wouldn't need to much time to ramp up awareness as most people who would be interested in Oblivion probably already know about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on ps3 as it's more potential revenue from a great game that sold well. Why wouldn't they bring it to ps3?:smile:

Well this is certainly good news for launch day PS3 buyers, this is a great game that will really help tide them over until 07.

I believe it, bethesda's marketing speak does not debunk it at all, in fact their intentional use of the word 'announced' is suspicious. This makes sense, especially coming from Take 2 who need every penny they can get at this point in time.

It will probably come with a bunch of expansion packs, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an official expansion pack announced for 360 this winter, and then the PS3 version comes with both.

Back